The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » He died with a Svengali in his pocket! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hmmm... Can't think whom that might be! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 09:59, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 05:21, Brent McLeod wrote:
Even though it is a simple trick Deck -the presentation of a good routine
causes many people to believe they are witnessing great magic...

But they *are* witnessing great magic! Smile

The Svengali may be old and familiar (to us), but the magic is great!

Exactly!!-Agree totally
What the lay audience is watching is indeed great magic...
Quote:
On 2002-04-12 09:05, Peter Marucci wrote:
Excellent essay, fingerjack, on a much under-used deck.
You make two critical points:
Never, ever show all the cards the same;
and, use something like the dribble force, rather than the "usual" riffle-and-stick-your-finger-in.
If you ring in a Svengali after using a normal deck, you can devastate the audience.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

As a Pitchman of these -In my corporate walkaround -I never show all the cards the same
but often as mentioned switch the deck to devastate an audience... It works well!!

Cheers
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
Thanks for the great post- I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about the Svengali deck. I agree that the Svengali deck, when properly used, can be an extremely effective tool. There was a good trick which David Britland published on his blog, Cardopolis, which used the Svengali deck in a very clever way. I use this idea quite often.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 13:28, Chessmann wrote:
Not Brent, maybe another of the McLouds?
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 12:06, fingerjack wrote:
Thanks again for the compliments on the essay.

By the way...I was asked to tell the forum by a certain someone that none of you know ANYTHING about the Svengali and are in need of an desperate education. There is only one grand master who is "the light, the truth, and the only way" to understanding the Svengali. It is he who knows everything and insists the cards MUST be shown all like and you MUST tell the audience it IS a trick deck. He says he will be an honored guest at the Café soon to take questions. However, he does seem to have a very poor memory.
He should write a book.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 21:23, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
Not Brent, maybe another of the McLouds ?

Or perhaps another of the McLewis clan!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I haven't touched a SD for decades but reading Mick Ayres book on it made me want to get at it again, just as this thread does. Mick is possibly one of the best script writers for magic and when combining one of his scripts with the SD, I'm convinced that not one soul, magician or layman, would suspect the use of such a deck. Mick Ayres stories are too entertaining for a spectator to even try and consider a method.

My advice to the ones using the SD would be not to wait to look Mick's writings up
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
In my opinion the only book that one would need on the Svengali deck pitch would be if one was written by Don Driver. Forget the guy who calls himself a psychic reverend. Don is the one that should write a book.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 15:47, RS1963 wrote:
In my opinion the only book that one would need on the Svengali deck pitch would be if one was written by Don Driver. Forget the guy who calls himself a psychic reverend. Don is the one that should write a book.

He already has. Google "Don Driver Svengali".

His site states they have temporarily suspended sales though.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-04-06 09:36, bblumen wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 15:47, RS1963 wrote:

He already has. Google "Don Driver Svengali".

His site states they have temporarily suspended sales though.

Yes I know he had done as 25 page "booklet" already but that's not the type of book I was talking about. That should have been obvious. the book Don should write should of course go into even more detail on S.D. and the other things Don has pitched. The things he as seen etc... Anyone that knows Don even kind of well knows the fountain of information Don is. Don is the man. He is the Pitchman's Pitchman.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 21:31, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 21:23, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
Not Brent, maybe another of the McLouds ?

Or perhaps another of the McLewis clan!

McLewis- LOL
He who cannot be named!!

Know him well, Weve had many Interesting discussions on previous forums....

Be great to see him here

I guess even he who cannot be named is related
to Voldemort...
Heck even looks like him at times...but he knows his Svengali!! and lookout
anyone who gets on his wrong side when pitching....-Hilarious

Wait with Baited Breath.......

Brent
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I actually doubt that he who can not be named will be a guest here anytime in the near or far distant future. Heck he's been booted off of the Café how many times in the past? At least twice maybe even more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » He died with a Svengali in his pocket! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL