The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet Tricks That Use Cards From a Normal Deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
Definitely my favorites are 3 card monte, Jumpin Gemini, and oil and water
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Dr. Daley's Last Trick is still the best by far Smile
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
I suppose most any 4 Ace tricks would work.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Steve,

I imagine you're already familiar with Paul Wilson's variation on Color Monte, called Gypsy Monte. It's pretty stunning. Best done with tarot cards, but can be done with regular ones.

See you,

Bob
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Mr. Nick Trost's "Fourteen-Card Oil and Water."
Very clean.

(Can be found in Chapter 30, item #5, his: 'Subtle Card Creations' Vol. 3 & Aldo's 'Oil & Water l' @ Lybrary (WMV + MP4) download.)
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bob, Gypsy Monte was reviewed rather harshly when it came out. I don't own it, so can't really comment one way or the other.

Sixten, I think most versions of O&W would fit the description quite nicely. Of course, Trost's version, as with just about everything he released, is well thought out.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Seeing this is an old post revived I have to add that the OP was looking for tricks with cards from an "ordinary" deck. 🙂. $.02
mgsmagic
View Profile
New user
Torrance CA
26 Posts

Profile of mgsmagic
There are so many to chose from. I like much of what Paul Gordon has along with John Bannon (yes they have packet tricks that don't use gimmicks). My favorites are Dr Daley's Last, various Oil & Water Routines from the late great ALDO COLOMBINI & his NICK TROST DVD series on cards has many also.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
152 Posts

Profile of Degio
I recently learned Masque (fantastic!) and I am always performing Color Monte with Joker, Ace of Spades and a Queen of Hearts as a kicker. The Queen helps with my pattern, e.g. as a final line I say: "These gamblers sometimes use a beautiful woman to distract the player!"

A little extra touch for the Color Monte: at the beginning I use the DD Double Lift (from The Complete Works of Derek Dingle) to show 2 Jokers; since the Joker has a one-way design, and the DD-DL turns the card over, the 2 (?) Jokers appear pointing in opposite directions (not sure I explained properly... hopefully you understand what I mean). The display of the second Joker pointing in the opposite direction reinforces enormously the illusion of two separate cards.

Thanks a lot to Steven for opening the thread and putting together this list of masterpieces: really useful!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Can't believe this thread was started over 8 years ago!!

Funny thing is I was looking over my initial post from 8 years ago and was shocked to find how little my initial idea has changed.

My favorites are still Jumping Gemini and Oil and Water (however I switched to Tamariz' version of O&W some years back). The only other "packet trick from a normal deck" that I perform regularly is something of my own creation, and is yet untitled. For the most part, however, I ended up sticking to my initial favorites.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Gabi Pareras:
- Incauto Bribon (homage to Pepe Carroll)
- Elevator
- Oil & water (with surprise ending) (4 red and 4 black, at the end they are all red).

Dani DaOrtiz has a simpler version for the oil and water with only 3 reds and 3 blacks.

And of course, Twisting the aces! already mentioned
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
One of my favourites is Oil & Queens, by Roy Walton, which I always follow with Modern Jazz Aces

Mark
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Marc (and others),

You wrote:

"Gabi Pareras:
- Incauto Bribon (homage to Pepe Carroll)
- Elevator
- Oil & water (with surprise ending) (4 red and 4 black, at the end they are all red).

Dani DaOrtiz has a simpler version for the oil and water with only 3 reds and 3 blacks. "

Do you have references for any of the tricks you mentioned? I watched the Oil & Water and loved it. Wonderful how nearly everything happened in the spectators' hands.

Several websites mentioned having video downloads explaining the trick, but they were all either defunct or sounded like they might be a bit shady. I'm assuming, since you posted on this thread, that the cards are ungaffed.

I also wondered if you could give me a reference for the simpler version by DaOrtiz. And, how simple is "simpler"? Could you give me an idea, without exposing too much, of what sleights are used in Parera and DaOrtiz's versions?

Regards,

Bob
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi Bob, yes, all regular cards.

Gabi's Incauto Bribon and Elevator are in his lecture notes, I don't know where those can be found.
The oil and water is in his Grupo Kaps Live DVD

The first one uses a couple of medium difficulty sleights but well in range from most card workers.
The Elevator's main move is an Elmsley

Dani's oil and water is in his SemiAutomatic tricks series (or the compiled book), so that tells you that it does not use any complicated sleight, I think the main sleight is like an Orlam count.

Both oil and waters have the surprise finish where instead of separating blacks and reds, in the third phase all cards are red.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Marc, very helpful. Yes -- I'd forgotten, that was the other reason I was attracted to these O&W's: all the cards are red at the end. Okay, I'm off to do my research! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet Tricks That Use Cards From a Normal Deck (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL