The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Stamp Album (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
I was just wondering if any one still uses the Stamp Album anymore?

Thanks

Silking
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I make them every once in awhile, but not with stamps. Typically with photographs.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Have an old one somewhere, never used it. I don't know anyone who collects stamps.

- Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
D. Robbins stamp album is a great trick and very magical. I love the theme and it goes over well with the kids. The stamp album offers many patter possiblilities as well. The prop is well made and will stand up to many uses over it liftime, the stamps are well printed on sheets you have to cut apart yourself. It comes with a heavy plastic envelope to carry and show the stamps.

The newer model E-Z Magic/Robbins is selling takes away the old paper cone vanish that use to be with their original model way back in the 1970. I it is now self-contained within the book itself.

I think it is also a good choice for replacement tricks for repeat engagements, in place of the Coloring Book routine.

Bottom end it is the best "Bang for your Buck" you could ask for these days at only $10.00 get at http://www.stoners.com .
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
I want to THANK YOU everyone for the posts.
Silking
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I forgot, I did use it once for a season of Library shows many years ago. It went over well.

I think Michael Baker's suggestion of Photos is a great one. Especially for someone who would rather not do the Coloring book for whatever reason.

Scrap-booking is very popular now and even little kids have heard of it. Many of the Scrap Books are built around them and their exploits. You could include drawings, hand prints and such for a varietal fun look.
As long as the 3D effects are mostly printed and lay flat I think it would be good. Time to bring your my inner Martha Stewart.

- Mary Mowder
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Mel Mellers has a version called mass hypnosis on one of his dvds. Done for adults.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I use Stamp Album. I have the volunteer put the stamps in the album and it changes from no stamps to all stamps. I tell them that the stamps self-organize. I don't use the blank pages. The trick goes over well. It's amazing to me that adults get fooled.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I really like the idea of scrapbooking - it is more contemporary. If I were to use a stamp book, it would be presented as something from my grandfather's attic or such. I never made a book based on this concept,, but it probably is worth considering. Thanks for the reminder.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-09 02:26, Mary Mowder wrote:
As long as the 3D effects are mostly printed and lay flat I think it would be good. Time to bring your my inner Martha Stewart.
- Mary Mowder

I think this could be rather easily achieved.
The more I think of the opportunity for comedy from the pictures that I would include, the more I really like it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The modern equivalent of the old stamp book is a sticker book that kids fill in with color stickers. Spellbinder used a variation with a single sticker sheet that fills itself up from a page of pop-out stickers, in The Wizards' Journal #19 - "Tricky Stickies", and then repeated himself for a Halloween and Christmas version in The Wizards' Journal #24 - "Skeleton Sticker Magic."
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-02 00:46, jimgerrish wrote:
The modern equivalent of the old stamp book is a sticker book that kids fill in with color stickers.

While this is true, I believe a custom made scrapbook would provide a greater opportunity to personalize the presentation for comedy, or other emotional connections.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 08:39, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 00:46, jimgerrish wrote:
The modern equivalent of the old stamp book is a sticker book that kids fill in with color stickers.

While this is true, I believe a custom made scrapbook would provide a greater opportunity to personalize the presentation for comedy, or other emotional connections.

These are both great ideas. I'd be tempted to use the sticker idea in schools and such, where personalization can take a back seat to the more generic approach that any kid could easily understand. Any good storyline could accompany a book filled with stickers. The scrapbook idea would be excellent for any show where you might want to customize it.

Imagine this as an add-on feature to a birthday party... Well ahead of time, you get the mom to email you images and ideas that apply to the kid. Then use these to make a custom prop which is used in the show, PLUS an ungimmicked duplicate which you give out to the kid after the show!

Just of note... I recently purchased a 1940s era magic estate. Among the lot was an original stamp album in remarkably good condition, including the loose stamps and the original newspaper cone.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-02 12:16, Michael Baker wrote:
Just of note... I recently purchased a 1940s era magic estate. Among the lot was an original stamp album in remarkably good condition, including the loose stamps and the original newspaper cone.

Now that's cool!
Also, I like the idea of having both forms of the book. My thought of a personalized scrapbook was to have it be one that was presented as my scrapbook from when I was their age, and include some ridiculous photos that had obviously been altered. Now seeing Michael's idea, it works well in a whole different way. I think it would be easy to construct, because the pages could include a lot of generic background images with only one or two actual photos per page. I wonder if someone creative is reading these posts thinking of producing such a product for those of us less creative to purchase as a download. This would be one heck of a Birthday Show effect.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Mel Mellers has a wonderful comedy idea using the Stamp Album on his Tickling The Mind Vol 1 DVD. I can't wait to put it in my show.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mel Mellers does not have routines as such, he does "under his breath" insults humor. Most of the tricks he does are pretty standard handling. I almost bought all his DVDs until I watched all his trailers for his DVDs and it was very apparent, only he can do his presentations.

I thought he was very funny, but what he says has nothing to do with the magic trick he is showing.

So if you want to watch some very funny acts, I recommend his DVDs, but you will not get any working material out from them.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I use mine for Library Shows.Kids love it...
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Bill Hegbli:

I love Mel Mellers material. I do a slightly different version of his Confabulation routine, and did do his Ring and Rope routine for a year or so.

His stuff is doable if your other material matches his. But that can be said about any performer.

And I think he DOES do routines. His confabulation/RASH is brilliant. His "While you were sleeping" is nice. His HouseNumber routine is very clever. No new methods, but very usable springboards for plotlines.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 20:17, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Mel Mellers does not have routines as such, he does "under his breath" insults humor. Most of the tricks he does are pretty standard handling. I almost bought all his DVDs until I watched all his trailers for his DVDs and it was very apparent, only he can do his presentations.

I thought he was very funny, but what he says has nothing to do with the magic trick he is showing.

So if you want to watch some very funny acts, I recommend his DVDs, but you will not get any working material out from them.

My, aren't we a breath of spring? I have his Tickling The Mind DVDs and there is plenty of working material to be had from them. As a matter of fact I'm currently working on 3 effects from the DVDs and applying MY OWN presentations to them to suit me. As for his insult humor, that works well for his character and he can get away with it. I'm very well aware of the fact that would never work for me, nor would I ever try to make it so. I have my own character and persona and I know what will and won't work for me.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
For many years the Stamp Album trick was a feature in my magic show. As the years rolls on I noticed that the children hardly knew what they is anymore. I had to reinvent the trick and called it a sticker album. The one I presently use was bought from David Ginn and I think it's called The World Stamp Album. This album starts out as a blank note book and then it turns into a stamp album. I change the note book to a Book With No Pictures or Words.
I show the blank pages and tell them I would make up a story which gets funnier from page to page. The book change into a sticker album
The stamps (stickers) are in a zip-lock bag, after some funny bits and pieces the stickers they disappear and end up in the album.
Ricky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Stamp Album (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL