The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » File backup software (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Can anyone reccommend a good 'file backup' software program.

I know there are many here who are much more technically attuned than myself.

Any reccommendations would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Rich
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, backing up is more then just a software issue and there are many kinds of backups.

What is your goal here? What are you trying to protect and against what exigencies?

I have a redundant NAS to protect against file damage or corruption in real-time, but this is my business. You might not need anything as heavy duty...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
If you want to find a good freeware solution, then check out this site http://www.techsupportalert.com/
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Carbonite.com - Automatic backups over the internet any time you make a change. Set it once and forget it. Unlimited backup size. Totally safe and secure. Easy to use. $50 bucks a year. Best $50 I ever spent.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 22:52, Skip Way wrote:
Carbonite.com - Automatic backups over the internet any time you make a change. Set it once and forget it. Unlimited backup size. Totally safe and secure. Easy to use. $50 bucks a year. Best $50 I ever spent.

Hey Skip.

Not to overly worry you BUT... what is their policy if their business fails? Do you get a copy of the backup in some tangible form like a DVD?
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Members of a PC user group and myself use Acronis True Image.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've got an external hard drive for backups- came with some decent software. I know it's no good in the event of a house fire or the like (I'd need to keep it in a safe or outside the house for something like that) but if my house burns down, I've got bigger problems than some data loss.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thanks guy's!...much appreciated comments.
I do understand that it is a good idea to have more than one method of back-up.

For now,I went with Carbonite [thanks Skip].It was real easy to set up and it is backing up right now.I even got a $5 off coupon online.I like the fact that it is unlimited.

Next I will look into flash drives etc. as another method.

Rich
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Wow! I am impressed.My 3GB's of backup was completed in 6 hrs.Every file that was backed up has a 'green dot' next to it.

I emailed a question to Carbonite Support and they responded in less than an hour.

Thanks again to all.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 22:54, Cyberqat wrote: Hey Skip. Not to overly worry you BUT... what is their policy if their business fails? Do you get a copy of the backup in some tangible form like a DVD?

:) I'm not worried. I never rely on a single form of backup. I also have two external hard drive that my entire system backs up to each night. I swap it with another external hard drive once a week. This way, if Carbonite fails, I have the in-house drives that are never more than a week behind. If my house burns down or is broken into, I have Carbonite. I've lost everything before. I don't take unnecessary chances.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
People often forget to occasionally verify their backup data. What's the good of having old stuff that's not intact. ??? Gotta know how others verify that data and how often if you want to let them handle that task IMHO.

? um... like I bet you put your stuff under "my documents" too. hmmm?

1) make a place off the root of your C drive for the stuff you want to worry about
2) take control over the programs you have that save documents and data to save there
3) that same program you use to burn DVD's can also burn data drives (4 gb fits on a DVD)

4) an external USB drive costs all of next to nothing these days and you can:
a) drag and drop your folders onto it
b) repeat every so often to refresh the data

folks should know that nothing on the internet or that passes across the intenet is private - and if you have any pics of your kids or thier friends that some bug-eyed do-gooder happens to look at and then get all fussy about you could get in huge trouble. Or "wrong" political party, incorrect opinions about some mater - whatever.

IMHO you are better off buying a thumb drive (16 GB = 20 dollars) and learning to use it.

Just my 2cents. I don't like it when stuff like private correspondence goes all over the place

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I agree with Jon here. I don't even use the My Documents folder. I have a separate partition for all my files. It's much simpler to do a reformat if ever needed because I don't have to also restore all my files. I also would never use any type of online backup. I prefer to back up to DVD's, USB drives, and hard drives. I don't don't like the thought of storing my files somewhere in cyberspace.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I thought I was the only one paranoid about sending out files to some profit-oriented company. Glad to see I'm not alone. Seems like it's bad enough that Google has access to all my email . . .

I'm on a Mac, and I'm wondering about the My Documents thing. Any specific Windows problem other than the naming of the folder?

Also wondering about the USB thumb drive solution . . . is that kind of storage any more/less stable than traditional external hard drives? I've had the same thumb drive for over three years, but it does seem kind of flimsy to me.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

@Micheal - in windowsland just putting folders off the root lets you reinstall the OS. I agree about a partition in some respects though also notice a speed penalty when copying or moving files from a temp folder on one partition to a folder on another even though they are on the same physical drive.

@Landmark - it's okay to have a few of those thumb drives, color code and label them - copy stuff between them to cycle the media.

Remember to verify the data every so often. That verification can be as simple as copying a random file out to your pc and scanning though by eye to see if there's any surprises picked up by the host program (sudden strange characters or misspellings etc).
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If you are on a mac and you aren't running Time Machine, you should. Its incredibly easy to set up and basically gives you "source code control system" type access to every change to every file that you make. Not only does it protect against data damage, but also against "oh crap I need the old version of that file" kinds of errors Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

@Cyberquat - how is time machine compared to Retrospect?
Jim_geek
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Jim_geek
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 20:07, RicHeka wrote:
Can anyone reccommend a good 'file backup' software program.

I know there are many here who are much more technically attuned than myself.

Any reccommendations would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I have used several backup programs for years, and I recommend Handy Backup, it's easy and reliable backup software, and works great. Hope it will work for you too.

http://www.handybackup.net
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 21:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
@Cyberquat - how is time machine compared to Retrospect?

Time Machine itself is free... comes with the OS.

You need an external drive to dedicate to it. I bought a 1TB "MyBook" for about $100. Apple has fancy combinations of WiFi hub and drive for about twice that.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Time Machine is fine--I use it--but it is a file by file backup and does not make a disk clone. It's useful to have another drive dedicated to making occasional clones of your system so that if things go south, you can be up and running right away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » File backup software (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL