The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dream Vision - Do Audiences Suspect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
Ok, maybe I'm just viewing Dream Vision with magician's eyes, so my question is, especially to those that have performed it: Do audiences suspect the easel that is rolled out on stage? Or is it immaterial and not even considered in their mind? Because as a magician I immediately suspect any item, no matter how benign, that is brought on stage for a mentalism routine AFTER the answers have been given.

I'm dying to know what you guys think about this because I want to add it to my show.

Cheers!
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I performed it for a year or two. I don't think the rolling stand is as suspicious coming from the wings as other routines that require a table to be rolled out because of the large size of the board relative to the little thin stand being rolled out. The biggest concern is in how smoothly the work is done after the board is on the stand. It does take a little practice for both parties to do it smoothly and quickly enough to not draw suspicion. In my opinion it is much better to have two assistants do the work while the magician is at the front of the stage talking to the audience for a little misdirection. I usually did not have the luxury of two assistants, and so had to help with the handling of the board and stand, which I think directs everyones attention too much to the "work". But in all, obviously a great prop when routined and blocked properly.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
No - for years I had no idea how this effect was accomplished. The props (even the table being rolled out for that other trick) never entered my mind. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jim
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I have one and id add it in a heartbeat all over again. Ive never heard of any layman figuring this one out. Laymen think of the obvious, the board was switched. But they also know that is impossible as the board is large and cant be switched with a hidden board. The easel is nothing but something to stand the board on and roll it forward to the audience. Its not like you have a hidden huge chalboard on the stand for a switch!

The only other guess ive heard was someone was in the air behind the board writing. So yeah, giant palmed chalkboard switch or hovering assistant!

One of the more genius ideas that has worked for years! Im personally glad the MPS is more popular...fewer of us doing Dream Vision.
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
Thank you all for your quick replies!! You have helped me gain confidence in this illusion, and I hope to purchase it used, shortly. I know flying it may be difficult in some venues so I'm going to have a tripod stand built for it. The advice about using two assistants while I talk with the audience for misdirection was very helpful. I was just re-watching the Copperfield performance of this illusion and that's exactly what he did, and it really does misdirect. I have enough assistants so that shouldn't be a problem.
As I'm buying it used, it may not come with instructions or anything, so do you guys know it it will be easy to figure out how to work it without instructions/etc.?

Thanks again!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Is that Andre Cole's Dream Vision? I believe that was the one D.C. used...

Doug
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Created by Andre Kole and manufactured by Don Wayne, I believe...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Yes Sir ClintonMagus Originally created for David Copperfield's Alcataz special by Andre Kole. Later Don Wayne asked Andre for permission to market it. This is what Andre Kole told me once. Great trick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dream Vision - Do Audiences Suspect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL