The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic castle pass? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I think doors (and bars) open at 5:30 pm...not sure about the afternoon hours. I think they are open for members for lunch on Fridays...have fun...if you get a chance, stop by Magic Apple as well. Great store, not far from the Castle...

Ken
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
The Castle is open only to members and their guests for lunch...afternoons are different than evenings. As others said, get there EARLY to see as much as possible...it's easy to miss a show in the close up room as it only seats a limited number of people. If you have questions, members will be wearing little pins on their coats, and they're always more than happy to chat...if you have the time, get someone to take you on a tour. The Castle is about more than just good steak and stellar magic...it's a museum. You'd be surprised where some of the furnishings came from.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Thanks for the info, Ken and Andrew.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
The Blackstone Merlot "was" my favorite! (seriously). Smile

Have a great time Todd. Soak it all in... but don't break out in a sweat. Smile

And, remember to visit the room "downstairs"... where any magician can try out some of their effects without registering or being the "chosen one".

Not to suggest that yo are just "any" magician.

...You are, after all, the Chosen One.

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
kenb123
View Profile
New user
Parker,CO
66 Posts

Profile of kenb123
I went last night - you are in for a great night of magic all the acts are really strong. Last night we got a little extra - Dan Sperry was there in the Palace performing what he will be doing tonight on America's Got Talent.

As far as lunch and hours, the castle opens at 5:00 PM, the bar will be open but you can't order any food until closer till 6:00. Last night the 7:00 Close Up line was filled up by about 6:20. Check downstairs, you never know who may be doing impromptu, Bill Goodwin did a set last night for some guests at 5:30.

Regarding lunch, it is members and their guest - but it only on Fridays.

There is Brunch on Staurday and Sunday - but that's a whol different story.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Before the magazine changed hands you could get in if you were a Genii subscriber. The only stipulation as I recall, is you had to have dinner. You could bring a few guests, but they had to pay the entry fee.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
So besides my IBM membership what else is required to get in?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Well, I'm back from LA and the Magic Castle.

On August 24th, I arrived at the castle at 5:00, said 'Open Sesame' to the owl, and passed through the moving bookcase into the magical realm. Checked out some of the artifacts and old posters on the walls and behind glass (a lot of old ventriloquist puppets), then settled in for a decent dinner.

Got to the close-up line a half hour early, but it was already sold out. Simon Lovell was to perform, but fortunately I saw him at the bar and chatted with him. He said he would be doing mostly card tricks, and one trick with a rubber lizard. I would've liked to have seen his rubber lizard. He did, however, give me some pointers about the retention vanish with a coin.

Next, entered the parlour for the John Carney show. What a showman! As soon as he walked out on stage, holding an oversize martini glass and an oversize smile, the audience was his. Not sure if that was his character, or Billy McComb's (it was a Billy McComb tribute week), but John is one entertaining magician. He did a great cups and balls routine with a few final loads that I never saw coming, and a very strong card prediction, as well as a couple of other things. Unfortunately, after the show I checked my phone message and my wife had called, very upset: our baby had fallen from the bed and bumped his head, so I had to leave before seeing the stage show, David Regal and Whit Hayden. Turns out the baby was alright.

Well, at least I had the partial experience. We'll be going back to LA in a few years, so by that time I expect our boy won't be falling off the bed at inopportune moments.

All the best,

Todd Shapiro
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Todsky,

Nice to have met you and very glad I could help you a bit with the coin vanish. Smedley the Lizard could probably have done a better job but he was having a between shows nap at the time!

Simon
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Simon,

Good to have met you, too. And regards to Smedley!
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I'd love to visit the magic castle too, but does anyone know what the membership fee is? It's not on their site. Seeing Pop Haydn would be awesome in person.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Whit's stuff is fantastic.
If you contact the castle, they can send you information on how to become a member. The price differs depending on when you join, since the year starts at a certain time. There are different memberships available as well. It's not cheap, but for good reason.... It's absolutely worth every penny and then some. Email memberservices@magiccastle.com and they'll take good care of you.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Donna and I are planning a weekend in LA next month and we've been talking about visiting the Castle, so I guess I'll give them a call and make sure my IBM card is still good to go.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic castle pass? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL