The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Can someone that is doing Library Shows start me in the right direction as far as what to include on a flyer?

I'm on Long Island and this is my first year doing Birthday party's and day care centers and doing ok with it.

Just want to start branching out.

I comprised a list of library's in the area and want to put a flyer together.
I know I probably missed the fall budget already but you never know.
As always, appreciated,
Don
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I would first put together a show based on the yearly theme, then design a flyer based on that. 2011 theme is about reading taking you around the world, also offer a pro-reading show with a general theme.
My 2 cents worth. Feel free to contact me via PM
Mike
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Thanks Mike. PM'd you

Don
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Who should you address the letters/flyers to? Children's Librarian perhaps? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You first need to find out how your local library system books programs. Some systems do all there bookings through a central system so sending flyer's out to each library would be a waste of time as they wouldn't be able to book you with out certification from the central office.
Some systems have auditions that you have to present your performance before.
I would contact your local librarian and find out how their particular system handles the hiring of entertainers before doing any kind of promotion.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This is interesting.....

You could gether $7 and go to

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Magic-Ebooks-7-00-......Domain_0

and get the ebooks. One is about marketing specific shows to libraries...and the writter happens to be in Long Island, so he is your competition. He gives examples of the letters he uses.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Thanks magicSanta
Don
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Here's a tip. Have a couple ads done (one vertical, one Horizontal) by a professional graphic designer . . . have them leave off details, but just something that looks great . . . ask them for the "authoring" files too - from then on, you will have a fantastic looking ad to start from - even places like OfficeMax will add some text here and there for free if you are nice to them (and its under 15 minutes or so of time) . . . its a great way to be consistent with branding and have great looking ads done very affordably too . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
A few years ago I saw a magician lecture about performing magic shows at libraries. I can't remember his name. Maybe someone can supply that.

My own education as a magician started with reading library books from the Bookmobile and then from the main library in Norfolk. One summer I decided for some reason to do a series of magic shows in libraries. Partly to give something back to the institution that got me started as both a magician and illustrator. I used a magic number--793.8--instead of a magic word. I did a trick with a dictionary where I read the mind of a child who selected a page at random and stared at the guide words. Then I gradually revealed the word.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Looking for a reasonable graphic designer as we speak, sent a PM to Kyle but no answer as of yet

Thanks

Don
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2010-08-06 14:09, magicman1 wrote:
Can someone that is doing Library Shows start me in the right direction as far as what to include on a flyer?

I'm on Long Island and this is my first year doing Birthday party's and day care centers and doing ok with it.

Just want to start branching out.

I comprised a list of library's in the area and want to put a flyer together.
I know I probably missed the fall budget already but you never know.
As always, appreciated,
Don

you will need more than a year of doing birthday parties before you tackle libraries
but you have over 1000 posts so who knows..... so here it is......
Describe your show..... tell them the price and send it too the childrens librarian, call to follow up, book show.
done...... send $20 to "Make a Wish".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL