The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kalanag Chair Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just received the Ed Sullivan Amazing Stars of Magic DVD from Sofa Entertainment. Kalanag performs his version of the Chair Suspension, transforming it into the floating lady, then transforms it in the Asrah that rises 20' in the air. It was well presented for the time, January, 1960. I think it is a good lesson in combining illusions flawlessly.

The link is:
http://www.sofaentertainment.com/sulliva......188.html

At only $16.95 total cost, it is a steal and a good learning tools for magic.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
WOW!!! What a great find! Thanks wmhegbli!! I will be ordering that tonight.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
You can also get some AMAZING vintage shows through Todd Karr at the Miracle Factory. I picked up the Christopher Magic specials and a full one of Kalanags show. He also has Franz Hararys' DVDs.

Blair
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kalanag, opens with the Vanishing Oil Lamp. What a piece of history. It was old when he performed it but it was great to watch.

I have been on Todd Karr's mailing list for some time now, but his priceing is way out of line for me. To bad, I really like learning from previous video presentations.

This is the best $16.95 I have spent on magic all year. Just watched it again and was in wonder and laughter a second time and with them that is rare the second time around.

If they make enough sales they may produce more of the videos I missed as a teenager. So lets get those orders in and show them there are people interested in magic and acts.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Kalang also did the original Marshall Fastest Trick in the World (ripped off by many people)and Bowl on a Pole.

His levi is a beautiful combination of illusions.

I remember Horace telling me about fixing some stuff for him one time. The stage manager did not want to allow him back stage. He kept saying "Verboten, Verboten". But Kalang cleared him. Horace was one of the few people at that time that understand about metric threads in things.

The entire Kalang show is available from Todd Karr from Bill McIlhaney and the Mystic Craig films.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Wmhegli
Yes Wm it looked liked 20 feet but it was actually closer to 12 feet. The photos in all the Kalanag brochures and in Milbourne Christopher's Illustrated History of Magic were all shot from low down--making the height of the Levi look more.
Paul Daniels who purchased all of the Kalanag show from Klingsor in Belgium used the Kalanag methods BUT the large background Buddha had to be replaced because of the wear and tear it endured through countless touring.
I was very lucky at age 19 & 20 & saw Kalanag & Gloria live in 3 theatres in the UK around 1951-52
Saw Dante in the same Theatre in 1947 & stood down centre on the 'Dante Spot'in the same theatre doing my ventriloquist act in 1950. Great memories

ALL the materail I have collected on Dante & Kalanag; programmes, brochures,flyers, write ups, photographs, films etc. have been left to the Magic Circle Museum, in my will, for future students of Magic's Past History
PD used a long plinth with he and Debbie sitting as though in an Indian 'rickshaw'--a sort of mushroom/open curved fanshaped cover behind them.
When PD was selling off the show I was actually offered the Levi by Tim Reed (son of Graham Reed) who was acting as Paul's agent.
BUT where would one perform it today? I THINK it may have been purchased by the Holderried who have mounted apermanent Kalanag exhibition in Germany
It took me many years to obtain the details of the Kalanag rig and method. I did actually trace its origins in the 19th. Century.
Although in the 4 Lectures I have given on Kalanag--it is the one secret I do not disclose.

Allen Tipton
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember hearing stories of Milbourne Christopher and Al Guenther sitting watching the Levi live. Al turned to Chris and said "Well what did you think?" Chris replied "***edest thing I ever saw!"

Mystic Craig ( William Vagel) was instrumental in bringing Kalanag to the US. He only did two shows here as I recall Boston and Detroit. Bill said a lot of the speaking parts were lip synched.

What most guys fail to see in Kalanag is expert use of the stage and staging. His background in movies and television really showed through. I would say no one, until Copperfield, understood how to use a camera effectively.

As I understood at one time Harry Blackstone Jr. owned the apparatus. Charles Reynolds would not let him use it as he said it was too dangerous.

One of the best Kalanag stories I ever heard was by Paul Daniels. It concerned the heavy gates used on the vanishing automobile illusion. After hauling them around for years, Paul junked them. Later, he heard stories about Kalanag smuggling out Nazi gold in his magic props. No, he never was able to verify the fact one way or the other.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kalanag Chair Suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL