The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First day out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Last summer I tried a few half-hearted busks, but this summer I decided to give it a proper go. I spent this afternoon at a festival in Kerry, Ireland, where I did two stand-up shows. The hats were not huge - fifteen euro and ten euro - but the experience was great.

After listening to advice I went with a fifteen to twenty minute program of simple and direct magic, ending with a balloon swallow. I was told afterwards that I delivered the hat lines without conviction the first time, and in too jokey a fashion the second show. Tomorrow I will go out again and try with more conviction.

But the bottom line was I enjoyed the day, and covered my petrol. Tomorrow I hope to cover a good dinner as well.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Don't drink as much petrol tomorrow and you will make a profit...

Tim
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
HAVE ONE FOR ME
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Have you thought about trying Ennis during the music festival?
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am from Ennis, and didn't even know about the music festival! Is it a good one?
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Tony.. if you're out on the streets now, it won't be long before our paths cross... I've been working Dingle for a bit lately, and I'm considering making the trip to Galway in the near future. As a matter of interest - what festival did you do in Kerry? Caharsiveen, perhaps? or Sneem,maybe?
:)
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 05:01, TonyB2009 wrote:
I am from Ennis, and didn't even know about the music festival! Is it a good one?

I lived there when I was 17 and am now nearly fifty and haven't been back since although the music fest is I am told the largest Irish music festival in the world, lots of tourists from all over the world. Have you heard talk of Willie Clancy Week?
I'll try to find more specific particulars from the people on the Chiff and Fipple forum. http://www.chiffandfipple.com a site for irish whistle players as well as flute ,pipes etc. I play keyless wooden concert flute.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Deadcatbounce, the festival I was at was the Puck Fair in Killorglin. My second day there I was nearing the end of my first show when one of the organisers marched through the crowd and stood beside me, gesturing me to stop. The crowd began drifting away, and the show fizzled out, with a tiny hat. Then I was told to clear off. So it wasn't a great festival for me.
But I'll keep going. I'll try the Rose of Tralee next. I am beginning to like street work.
Manal, I have heard of the Willie Clancy week, and have worked festivals in Miltown. But I didn't know Ennis had one. I'll check it out and see if it is worth busking at.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Where is Craggy Isle in comparison to where you're at?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Tony, I'm booked for the Rose of Tralee on Monday, and Tuesday, it seems. In what capacity, I'm not sure yet. Organisation isn't finalised yet, and the budget's been cut by 20 grand.

Puck Fair, huh? I had a look at it last year with a view to pitching Svengalis... decided to give it a miss. It can be a bit of a rough house. Tralee, I'd say, would be the worst place to street entertain, under normal circumstances - but it could be different during the Rose.

Gaddy - Craggy Island is North of where I am, in Kerry. I think it's just off the coast of Galway. They have a Father Ted weekend every year...the actual Craggy Island is in dispute, as two islands lay claim to it. I think the islands take it in turn to host the Father Ted weekend...(TedFest)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The Rose of Tralee have a busking competition from Friday through Tuesday. So I'll be along for some of the days; it is a great opportunity to blood myself in the new discipline. So I might meet up with you and say hello. I'll look out for the red hat. I'll be in a white Fez, unless I can find a white bowler by then.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Friday through Tuesday, huh? I had no idea...I was going to go up to Galway for the Boat Fest.. (Hookers)..but maybe I'll have a look into Tralee... Obviously - I'll only be wearing the red hat if I'm "on"! I'll pm you my number... let me know when you're in Tralee..

Regards,

DCB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First day out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL