The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Walking Liberty $1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Any idea where to get this coin? I saw this coin on an auction site in Singapore.

Here's the description

Unc 1 ounce Silver "Walking Liberty" Dollar. The U.S. Mint's largest-ever silver dollar contains a full ounce of .999 pure silver. Designed by Adolph Weinman in 1916, the Liberty design is considered the finest ever to appear on U.S. silver coins.

The reverse displays a new heraldic eagle with a 13-stripe shield and 13-star cluster honoring the original States. Each coin is 1.5 inches in diameter and contains one troy ounce of pure silver.

The American Eagles are official legal tender bearing the face value and official motto- E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, and the seal of the U.S. Treasury. Highly prized for their beauty and silver content, the American Eagles are "Official Legal Tender" guaranteed by the U.S. government as to weight, silver content, and face value.

I thought that they no longer made this coin. On the pic, it shows the year 2001.

You can also check the site
[expired auction link removed]

Thanks.

Click here to view attached image.
Bernard Sim
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Yeah, I have 4 new 2002 for my little collection, they look like the old walking liberty half dollars but much bigger.

You can find them on Ebay, they are like $6-$10 each US money. A lot of coin shops in the States have them, they are pretty heavy but they look very nice
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Unfortunately, being PURE silver (rather than a coin-grade silver alloy), they are very soft and quite vulnerable to scratches and dings.

Worse yet, they aren't very suitable for gaffing, especially being expanded for shells. It's necessary to turn the insert coins down to fit a standard-size shelled coin; even then, the shell edges will be quite fragile.

Finally, being so soft, they lack the audible ring of a "genuine" silver dollar.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-04-13 11:17, they are just big wanking coins that look very magical

To get a set I just call and ask for the "Big Magical Wankings" right? Smile
Click to visit:
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Thanks for the tips guys. Smile
Bernard Sim
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
There is an old post from T.W. up there saying they can't gaff these. Not sure if RK or Schoolcraft make them.
LordFelix
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of LordFelix
Looks like Lassen is charging 120 for them.

I wonder what he does with the leftover silver. There has to be at least 1/2 ounce of silver that is machined off. Lots of .999 fine silver there Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 00:15, LordFelix wrote:
Looks like Lassen is charging 120 for them.

I wonder what he does with the leftover silver. There has to be at least 1/2 ounce of silver that is machined off. Lots of .999 fine silver there Smile

The one Todd made for me is a work of art, and worth every penny.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
LordFelix
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of LordFelix
I agree there, they are works of art. I was just pondering what Todd does with his shavings. I know he wouldn't just throw out the shavings. Maybe he melts it down himself, maybe not.
LordFelix
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of LordFelix
Question for people. Is anyone using silver eagle as an 'enlarged' walking half at the end of a routine?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have used it that way, like a jumbo coin, but having seen Eric Henning do his routine USING eagles, and ending with his 4 troy ounce Jumbo eagle, I have to say his version is far more impressive LOL.
Then again, my version doesn't require reinforced pockets for carrying around a half pound of silver.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Walking Liberty $1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL