The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Re-investing in your business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
There's no doubt, for magicians and other kids' entertainers, it's not hard to find ways to spend your business cash. As well as a plethora of awesome props and effects, you can invest in a PA, a backdrop, photography and video, website, books and tutorial DVDs, vehicles, advertising, and a miscellany of other bits and pieces. Not forgetting the ongoing costs such as gas (petrol), consumables, maintenance and repairs, etc.
What do you consider the essentials which seem to soak up the body of your spending?
Do you: invest the smallest possible amount to keep your business running; invest as much as you can possibly afford, in order to help it grow; put aside a specific amount from your gross income for costs? How do you look at your business spending?
If you won $5000 to invest directly into your business, what would you spend the money on?
Potty Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
That really depends upon your situation and what you need at any given time. For example, I am fortunate in that, early on, I (quite by accident) purchased an extremely good and reliable sound system; so, I never need that again. Similarly, I am now in a position that I am not looking for more props, but rather trying to get rid of all my large illusions. Other people may be in exactly the opposite situation than me.

I think that money is almost always well spent on proper advertising (direct mail, web site, etc.) Promotional photos are something that I think get overlooked and should be updated frequently. Show clothing is also an item I think is a good investment.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Professional photography and video production. Maybe a trip to a convention, it's been a while since I've been to one. They're good for recharging the batteries.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Bagatelli
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Bagatelli
I just decided to upgrade my clothes for the differend performance situations and I am sure to have enough props.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Advertising, advertising, advertising.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Topless dancers....think of the gigs you'd get if you advertized "magician performs while topless dancers romp around him....", you could charge a lot and they could get tips.
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
Potty is the best magician here. I counted 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of props on your website. I don't know if you have backup/replacements but that would be another 20K...that's almost a 50% down payment for a 3 bedroom house in middle America yet your numbers add up. I salute you my friend, I salute you...

HH
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I just bought the complete set of Rice's encyclopedia of silk magic, and I plan on coming up wirh a new trick, or two that nobody else here does.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
Al,

your zeal got me to get my rice books off the shelf while I watch preseason football. Speaking of presto on another thread, he did a trick with a newspaper and silks that fooled me very badly...later I found that they are in Rice's encyclopedia! Enjoy my friend.

HH
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 13:44, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Do you: invest the smallest possible amount to keep your business running; invest as much as you can possibly afford, in order to help it grow; put aside a specific amount from your gross income for costs? How do you look at your business spending?

I spend on those things which I feel will produce the greatest return on investment. In 95% of the case, it's about marketing.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Remember Hank, Potty is in the UK, so that is around $30,000 worth of equipment per show. Say, doesn't Scott Burton have a nice photo? Very good sir....
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Even though a lot of people concur with my first post, after reading what Santa said I think I change my mind. Topless dancers it is. Now, as far as getting tips, that reminds me of a very funny joke that I can't tell here ... but maybe if you PM'd me ....
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 19:08, TonyB2009 wrote:
Advertising, advertising, advertising.

Advertising. Possibly a little carefully placed. But in general, I think not.

Much more effective would be well considered Public Relations. More effective than advertising.

You see people believe PR far more than obvious advertising. And certainly at the modest investment levels we are discussing here.

Unfortunately, it needs to b sustained and maintained. A one off flash in the pan can only work for a short time.

I invest in tightly targeted PR and it is ongoing.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
In the last two years I've spent money on;
Jeff Jones magic back drop. Really gives a "show" feel to the performance.
Quality car graphics. Imagine the cost of a billboard that size!
New sound system.

But my favourite is my custom built dragon puppet. I now have something that is unique to put on all my advertising.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I would also get the jones backdrop and a bigger sound system for schools and a bigger set of fakinis.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I would use it to help buy an already built Zig Zag illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Re-investing in your business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL