The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Absolute Coin Vanish - Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ponta one word " increditable "{
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
=>Mb217

I saw your "Grandpa's Coins 2 - This Old Man" trick on http://www.vinnymarini.com and all I can say is WOW! I'm tempted to buy it. In my opinion, Tenkai Pennies 2.0 does not compare!
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi WV

Just a little info / review for those of you that are interested in this effect.

1) This effect is based on a vanish in Bobo's , however Mr Sankey has added his own touches to the effect so that it is possible to show both hands clean at the end. Therefore I really do feel that it is worth the $5 asking price.

2) IMO,This is really ment as a utility move / vanish as the name implies. It is not ment to be an effect on it's own as such, rather it would be best suited to being part of a routine.

3) Mr Sankeys presentation is to kick start your own thinking of how to use the move as opposed to just doing it as an effect in itself (I know some will argue this point, but I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks)

4) If Mr Sankey showed any more in the demo, he may as well just give the secret away as it would easily be able to be re-engineered.

Overall I feel that this is a very good improvement on an old concept, and I think that the teaching is also very good. If you are creative and see this as a utility move/vanish to be used within a routine / effect, then you will definitely not be disappointed. In fact I think you will be very happy indeed.

All The Best

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 10:37am
Hi Marion,

How you keeping man, (it's been a while since we last crossed paths on the Café, LOL)

Anyway, I just wanted you to let you know that I've just watched your handling of Tenkai Pennies on Youtube, and I really like it. The great part is that your version gives the impression of only one coin being in the hand until the last moment. What I love about Mr Sankey's version is that the effect lasts longer by being a sort of hybrid of Tenkai Pennies and Coins across (Using 2 coins)e.g the coins travel one at a time to the empty hand.

The reason I am telling you this is because if you combined your handling and Sankeys handling, then you would have the ultimate version. I hope you do play around with the idea as I think it would be a fantastic version.

All The Best
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Hey MB,

Really nice job on the Tenkai Pennies. Love the convincer. Really sells it.

I am going to have to stay with my opinion of the Sanky video, especially since he doesn't teach the effect shown on the demo. Definitely borderline fraud.

Thanks to Truesoldier for providing the reference to Bobo's for an early write up of the techniques. Now there is a value for your money. You get far many more moves and subtleties that you can use to put together and create your own tricks.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I spent the 5 bucks for this a while back, and for that measly of a price, I was totally happy with my purchase.

I mean, most guys spend way more than that on coffee and cigs every day!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2010-08-23 01:16, WV wrote:
I made up my own vanish BEFORE seeing this demo. The thing he does the moment after he closes his hand around the coin, is exactly what I did. I'm not sure if it is what he is doing to vanish the coin, but it just reminded me of my vanish when I watched it. What made me wonder, is the cut between the vanish and the reveal. I know it is to cover a move that we will find obvious, but how obvious is it to the spectator. John Long, you bought it. Is it really as obvious as I think it is, or will laymen still be amazed.

WV

Wow, this became a very active thread while I was away! I'll answer your question, but first, there is something more important, that was not directly addressed by others.

Namely, if you are returning to magic, and apparently have relatively few magic resources, don't buy individual tricks. You will get so much more for your money from books: Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Tarbell's Course in Magic, even Magic for Dummies. Any of these will give you a LOT of magic that is good. MFD even tells you how to not be an Uncle Charley (my apologies to those named Charley)

If you need to see something performed, Sankeys Anytime Anywhere is on sale on his site for $17! that's an steal, his Amazing Magic Tricks Anyone Can Do is also a good set to start with (many of the $5 tricks came from these and other previous works). But I still recommend books over the DVD.

For coin work, that's the only area that I would not recommend starting with a book (such as Bobo, which is otherwise a good resource). Rather, I would recommend Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic, or if you want to pay a bit more, Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol 1-3. These are wonderful places to start with coin magic. After those, you could consider Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic (which has the Mr Clean Across, and I think a Tenkai Pennies routine).

Now, let me get off my soap box, and address your question.

1) The Absolute Coin Vanish demo does not cut away during the vanish. The vanish is every bit as good as it looks in the demo.
2) I think I know the method you are referring to, and it is a credible way to vanish a coin, but 3) if you want to be able to show your hands empty immediately after the vanish, as Sankey did, w/o sleeves, w/o going to your pockets... then spend the $5 (that is, after you buy the above stuff Smile)

John

Quote:
On 2010-08-23 07:10, Mb217 wrote:
..It's sorta like shooting somebody because they are in great pain because they asked you to. Once you do, it's all over for them and you don't get much out of it either. Magic is that way as well.
:

Interesting analogy, but I like to compare it to the scene in the Wizard of Oz where Toto manages to remove the curtain covering what was previously considered a terrible and awesome wizard.. When the "secret" is revealed, people, such as Dorothy, the Tin Man and the Lion, and your spectators, will not only feel let down and betrayed, but may actually be angry. Angry that they were fooled by such a simple contrivance.

Besides, if you have a gun, so might your spectators ! Smile

John

Quote:
On 2010-08-23 12:05, vinsmagic wrote:
Ponta one word " increditable "{
vinny

Yes indeed! Where has Ponta been hiding?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I think I may have been misunderstood. I actually have A LOT of material, maybe even too much. Some of those were free items as part of promotions and others I just regret buying. But there are those purchases, such as Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic, Rothman's Coin DVDs, Ammar's Card DVDs, Gregory Wilson's Ringleader, Spongeball Toolbox by Steve Dacri and Luke Jermay's E.I. that I think is some of my best purchases. Here is the list:

(I had a Thumb Tip and a booklet with some effects, but the Thumb Tip melted - Don't ask!)
10 Card Poker Deal by Luke Jermay
Astral Projection by Jay Sankey
Blindsided by Oz Pearlman
Brain Washer by Alvo Stockman
Card Miracles Ammar Vol 1
Card Miracles Ammar Vol 2
Card Miracles Ammar Vol 3
Clutch by Oz Pearlman
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth Vol 1
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth Vol 2
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth Vol 3
Color Monte
Complete Course in Magic with Cups & Balls
Cyclopedia of Magic book Mark Wilson
D'Lites (2)
Emotional Intelligence by Luke Jermay
Fiedler's Force
Floating Dollar Bill
Gaffed Cards for 3 Card Monte
Invisible Deck Bicycle
Just the Way I Like It by Alvo Stockman
Las Vegas Dice
Magic Stop Light Cards
Mercuring by Jay Sankey
Million Dollar Secrets With Cards by Simon Lovell
Penguin Cups, The
Pro Carrier Case Joshua Jay
Psychokinetic Silverware by Gerry & Banachek
Quick Trick by Oz Pearlman
Raven, The
Real Man's Coin Wallet by Anthony Miller, The
Reparation by John Lovick
Ring Leader (With Props) by Gregory Wilson
Self Tying Shoelace by Jay Noblezada
Spongeball Toolbox by Steve Dacri
Stealth Pen, The
Stripper Deck
Synergy
Two Dollar Window by Jay Noblezada
Ultimate Three Domino Monte, The

My idea is too go through all the effects, select a few and come up with routines that will last for a a few minutes. I can then learn the tricks needed for which ever routine I plan to do. At the end of it all, I should have learned a lot of effects and can then create new routines.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Well Jeez, I think you should really pick up "Sick" by ponta the smith. If you really want to blow some people away. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u_5834RGo
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Soldier my man, good to hear from you. Smile And glad you and kirkG appreciate the little move I incorporated into Tenkai Pennies. It's subtle but boy does it say a lot. Smile I use the move in other things as well so it's pretty versatile and adaptive but it was first put to TP many years ago. I remember people here somewhat reluctantly saying it was sorta clever but wasn't necessary. Smile I thought that it simply made an important point even more clearly and made the result of the magic that much more impossible. I still believe that and many others recognize that now, said and unsaid. Smile Thanks again for the good words on it and my friend kirk ain't an easy guy to get a good grade from. Smile

WV, glad you like Grandpa's Coins 2, it's a lot of fun to perform with some nice moves to it. I'd say it is indeed quite a bit more than Tenkai Pennies. Check it out, you'll see for yourself. Smile

And I see you have a batch of magic under your belt. Smile I like your idea of trying to put together a "few minutes" of magic in a routine. That's how I like to do it myself. On the streets of NYC, that's about all the time you get to WOW people as that's all they give you. Smile I typically string together sometimes 3 good tricks. I begin with a coin trick and might start using my new "Uncle Charlie" effect. Smile And before I end it, I reach into my pocket Smile and pull out deck of cards for a spec to hold and shuffle. As I end the coin trick I begin the card trick with the shuffled cards, I like doing the ACAAN the Godfather taught me, wonderful card trick for a coin man. Smile Before I end that trick I pull out a little sealed envelope and ask a spec to just hold it for me. As I finish the card trick, I take hold of the little brown envelope and reach into my pocket and pull out 3 invisible coins and I'm off and running down the stretch toward the finish line. Smile

When I'm done, I've done about maybe a 5 minute routine with just 3 effects and everyone's mouth is left wide and opened. As I move on, all I can hear is "What the *$#%^#@! Smile Now I can do a lot of stuff and can mix and match/substitute various coin tricks etc., and I do many times change-up things but this approach works very well and people stay engaged and with one of the toughest crowds anywhere that's some real magic for ya. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Absolute Coin Vanish - Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL