The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper Bands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Hi , I am sure I have seen this somewhere but could not find today so my apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a Johnson flipper. I would like to replace the original band with one that can allow the coins to stay flat on the table or my palm. Does anyone know where or what kind of band I can use? Thanks Anthony
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Here is my answer from a previous post, BUT although it worked as a gravity, I finally bought a Schoolcraft flipper - it's a thing of beauty. The line on the back is **faintly** visible. Not enough to hand out, of course, but it goes along with a smooth action appreciably different from an altered regular flipper. Having said that, I got a lot of mileage from the altered flipper.

Here's the quote:

I use tac - the kind of sticky stuff you can get in hardware stores, often blue in color. Very important to use **sparingly** small amount. It is a great adhesive for this purpose & easy to remove the small crescent part from the shell with an Exacto knife, for subsequent rubber band replacement.
Ahem - nobody answered my related question in another thread - how to convert a half dollar magnetic flipper (mine is Tango - a great flipper) to a gravity flipper, so here goes. Buy and use 3/8 inch latex rubber bands from eBay - the size is critical. (These are for dog grooming, not dental orthodonture.) These are a tad thicker than the 1/8 inch rubber bands that come with the flipper.
That's ok as the slightly decreased tension is perfect to convert a flipper to a gravity flopper. BUT you can't have any twists in the rubber band, or the coin back won't fit into the shell (or if it fits, it will be too snug and the back will not flop open. So put the rubber band on the larger piece first, then fit in the smaller lunar piece that will receive the tac. Also even a tad too much tac will make too tight a fit. But if done right you get a magnificent gravity flopper.
Which is far preferable for routines like Joshua Jay's Invisible Coin Purse - on Close-up, Up Close, volume 2, and in his lectures.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Kerpa, Thank you for the reply ! I appreciate your help. My Johnson flipper (half dollar) came with their "Visual Penetration" effect. It does use DS Tape . I am familiar with the tac stuff as my children used it to stick pictures on their bedroom walls. Again many thanks off to track down those bands. Anthony (just realized I have a close friend who is a dog groomer)
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I used to use a sliver cut from the neck of a thin balloon to loosen up my flipper. I say used to because I eventually got the chance to get a lassen gravity flipper and for me that's flipper perfection. Still for a long time I used these silver balloons and they worked very well. The ones I used were sold as water bombs for children and were very small. Anything bigger was too loose.

Kind regards
Sean
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Thanks Seangiles. I will look into that as well.

A friend of mine is a dog groomer. She found 500 3/8 bands in her supply catalog for $5.79. I will try that and let you know. Thanks again for your help and replies everyone .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper Bands (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL