The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Work as a UK Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
I would like to try and get work performing magic but I haven't a clue how to start. Would resturaunts be better than pubs? Which venues would be the best to start and how do I go about contacting different places? Any help would be greatly apprecated.
Thanks
Dan
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Hi Dan,

There are loads of useful threads on this, but as a fellow UK magician that has spent the last couple of years trying to build work (part time) without an agent, I would suggest that there is no substitute for hard word, ethical cold calling (not undercutting / stealing gigs) and luck. Each time I would cold call, I would try to learn from my experience and from sources like the Café, to improve my pitch.

In my own experience, many chains have cut back or stopped entertainment. You need to approach places with enough footfall to justify your presence. As an example, I negotiated a gig in a major hotel chain which went well. The banqueting manager wanted to have me there on a weekly basis, but was blocked by the hotel management (I have worked there since, but not regularly).

On a side note, I have done a hotel gig in return for a free and exclusive pitch at their wedding fayre.. from which I got a couple of bookings within 24 hours, so it was worthwhile bartering.

Perhaps a large (busy) independent pub would be a good place to try.

I'm sure there are many more experienced people who may help with advice, but my own thoughts are 'intelligent' hard work and luck. Oh, and the area you canvas in may be a factor!

Charlie
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think you need to consider where you want to do magic. I have been fortunate enough to build up a large bank opf clients who not only employ me regularly for partys but who also recommend me for weddings etc. THis alone keeps me fairly busy. From my experience, it is difficult to carve out a living from restaurant work alone in the UK, although a residency or odd gig is certainly not going to do any harm.

I have in the past used wedding fayres to get some business and they usually at least break even and have worked well.

I have no issue with Agents as I can always turn them down if the terms are wrong and they initially (if nothing else) can get you out in the market. I would seriously consider some effects using business cards and give them out as much as possible. If it is in a magical way, they ar efar more likely to keep them and talk about you. Lastly, I would get some good footage of you performing and get a professional show reel made, to send to agents and perspective clients.

In terms of a website. I have in the past never had one but am currently building one to put my show reel on as a way of being able to direct more people to it without the need to copy it on to a dvd. I have never really got much work from it as there are always hundreds of search results higher than your unless you shell out the ££££

Lastly, do not underestimate word of mouth. I get most gigs without any marketing and this is something that I have built up over the years. If you are starting out just get out and perform and self promote.

Hope that helps but feel free to Pm. Unless you are in the west sussex area, in which case don't bother and ignore my comments...there is no work Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Work as a UK Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL