The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Self-lighting candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Ok, so I need a prop for a seance: a 6 inch-in-diameter white candle that is lit throughout the performance, then afterwards it is extinguished by hand, and, upon command(!) it re-lites itslef.

Thoughts on the how-to-do and the how-not-to-do would be appreciated, whether thru the forum or via PM (due to the nature of the whole secrecy thing...)

Lee
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Good design challenge here -- because it first burns for a long period then must relight ON COMMAND.

If this is designed into a big votive candle with glass the job is a tad easier -- the glass hiding any works needed.

And my feeling is the electronic "candles" from Amazon look pretty cheesy.

Does this HAVE to be the same wick?
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Oh no, there can be two wicks side by side - and yes, in a nice glass "shell", if required!

Lee

And I agree, those Amazon ones are cheesy!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Lee, I PM'd an idea to you.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No contact at all during the relighting or will you be holding it?
The_Alexander
View Profile
New user
Finland
63 Posts

Profile of The_Alexander
I have fooled magicians with these babyes

http://www.squidoo.com/Remote_Control_Candles
--- Waris the Magician, Expert of Wonders ---
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Thank you for the pm's and the ideas - to avoid any confusion, here is a requirement that I may have glossed over: this candle sits alight for the entire event (say, an hour or more), and then is snuffed out (apparently?). After a period that may be as long as 20 minutes, the candle has to re-light while no one is near it, or has handled it at all.

Lee
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Couldn't you use Rick Haslet's candles?

s
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I don't know anything about them - suggestions?

Lee
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You have to handle it to snuff it out or you lose the effect of it lighting. Here is an idea, silly I know, switch out candles. Easily done, 20 minutes is a huge time period.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-15 00:20, MagicSanta wrote:
You have to handle it to snuff it out or you lose the effect of it lighting. Here is an idea, silly I know, switch out candles. Easily done, 20 minutes is a huge time period.

... or switch ends.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is even a better idea Tabby. I have no clue how one would make the self lighting part but you can just plug another candle into the real end if you don't want to burn or use a real candle.

I admit I had this image of a black arts well for ditching!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
6 inch diameter candles usually have more than one wick in them. I've seen them with up to 4 wicks. I don't know if anyone would notice if yours only had the one wick.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-15 10:24, raywitko wrote:
6 inch diameter candles usually have more than one wick in them. I've seen them with up to 4 wicks. I don't know if anyone would notice if yours only had the one wick.
Ray

And a 6" candle would give you plenty of room inside a shell to do a lot.

Good luck!!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Check out Mapro magic Uk ,they have a reasonably priced self lighting candle .
-M-
E.O.I
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Rick Hasset's : ahouse of fire makes one of the best and cheapest self-lighting candle. http://www.ahouseoffire.com/
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-15 15:21, dennfox wrote:
Rick Hasset's : ahouse of fire makes one of the best and cheapest self-lighting candle. http://www.ahouseoffire.com/

That's great looking.

Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
Would it be feasible to construct a hybrid of flameless candle for the long burn and remote lighting candle for the relighting? If the candle not too close to your spectators, this could work.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Kuma
View Profile
New user
Sydney
51 Posts

Profile of Kuma
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 12:02, Sir wrote:
Would it be feasible to construct a hybrid of flameless candle for the long burn and remote lighting candle for the relighting? If the candle not too close to your spectators, this could work.

I note the remote candle says you can burn it "as long as you want". Sounds like all he needs!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Self-lighting candle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL