The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are you currently reading? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 15:10, MagicSanta wrote:
I love books on compasses and maps....we high desert people need to know this stuff.

I got it on discount back when I worked at Mountain Gear. The one thing I miss about that job was the discounts.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"The Old Straight Track" by Alfred Watkins. The first modern scholarly work on neolithic roads and their relationship to the stone circles.

"The Player Of Games" by Iain Banks. One of his "Culture" SF novels.

"Warhammer: 8th Edition" by Games Workshop. Not so much reading it, as familiarizing myself with the new rule-book.

"Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick - the current, graphic-novel adaptation by BOOM Studios comics.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 11:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 09:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

And how was Abe and the vampires?

I had the exact same qeustion myself.

the opening frame/setup was good. The middle was good. The "and then what" was half written and missed off finishing the closeup of the "author" frame. 7/10 here for story construction here. Was a fun audiobook though.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 15:10, MagicSanta wrote:
I love books on compasses and maps....we high desert people need to know this stuff.

Golden Compass anyone?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm reading "The Sagas of the Icelanders". It's a monster of a book at over 700 pages. Very colorful tales. Since I need a break from all the violence in this book, I'm also reading "The Viking Manifesto: the Scandinavian Approach to Business and Blasphemy by Steve Strid and Claes Andreasson.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm currently reading The Odyssey, George Carlin's Last Words, and Self-Reliance and Other Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson. All great reads.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 23:22, motown wrote:
I'm reading "The Sagas of the Icelanders". It's a monster of a book at over 700 pages. Very colorful tales. Since I need a break from all the violence in this book, I'm also reading "The Viking Manifesto: the Scandinavian Approach to Business and Blasphemy by Steve Strid and Claes Andreasson.

Craig

Awesome.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 11:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 09:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

And how was Abe and the vampires?

I had the exact same qeustion myself.

It was great. History of Lincoln's life killing vampires told from his journals. Part of me wants to go to the Abe Lincoln wikipedia page and update it. Smile Maybe someday.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 06:17, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 22:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm a huge detective fiction fan....

As for myself and what I'm reading: I'm reading Lawrence Lampert's How Philosophy Became Socratic: A Study of Plato's "Protagoras," "Charmides," and "Republic", which is a surprisingly fresh turn in Platonic studies.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to look for this.

Quote:
At the moment I'm reading a general introduction to linguistics called The Study of Language, by George Yule. I mention it because I think it would be interesting to some of you, too.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just put a library hold on it.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are you currently reading? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL