The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism in a real life setting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
During one of the many lengthy and lovely chats I have with my dad, he started talking about if I could do my "thing" in a "real life" setting, i.e. not just on stage, be it real or psychological.

We came up with some interesting ideas, for example, If I were a waiter (a job I may soon have, and may need to spice it up a little) doing things like memorizing people's orders (memory stuff is something I'm rather good at) and who had what, in such a way as to subtly arouse interest.

Then, if they ask something like, "Do you have a good memory?", I would rather briefly explain that "I've trained my mind etc. and in my other job and "love" its sort of what I do.......I'm a kind of magician"; leaving them to wonder what the heck that means. If the request came, later, I would show them some "stuff".

We then spoke of how to present it, e.g. divining a thought of word on a napkin I gave them with their drink.
Getting the chef to spell out the word with their food (that was a silly one).
Writing it on there bill. If I over heard someone's name at the table saying, "And what would you like to drink Jane?" Also, a nice one my dad had, bringing them their bill, on that little plate, with a card face down and forcing it.

Some nice ideas on betting my tip, so that they double it if I, for example, guess which hand the coin is in (only an example don't go biting my head off about Derren this and Derren that).

I feel I could pull it off, as my real life "persona" is a little odd and introverted.

I, of coarse, would only do this if asked, and if they don't, then I wont force anything on them (no puns enter your mind). And with the owners consent.

After this chat it got me thinking of all you guys and gals. What do you think? Could be a nice way to practice, even get some work.

Do you have any ideas on effects to do?
Do you, yourself, do this kind of thing in your job? What effects do you do?

Regards,
Alex
The Man Who Knows (how to make a good cup of Tea)

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Unless you are serving at a restaurant that specializes in magician-waiters, I doubt anyone will ask. In most restaurants, waiters are there to serve, not to entertain.
It would be nice if everyone was interested in the crazy things that we do, but in reality, I believe, that the majority of people are not. I would think that most people go to dinner to eat and talk with friends and family.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Well I have to disagree with you ZeroG. Most people, especially ones with kids, do like to be entertained. It is just a matter of how and when. Restaurant is a perfect venue if done correctly.

Unfortunately I do not believe that the customers are too amazed when Alexander remembers their orders. After all, most of the good waiters do remember. If fact it is a sign of a good restaurant. In a case when there are too many people and you could show your amazing memory the risks are running too high. You do not want to spoil any corporate events because you got a little nervous and forgot half of the orders, do you?

But keep thinking about it. Put your mind into it and you will find a way to make them ask you to perform. Good luck mate.
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Thank you both for your conflicting ideas, it is a very small Café, in my little village, and it was just one of my very odd conversations with my dad.

Just an idea,I will think about it carefully.

Thanks again,
Alex.

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Alex-

I think your dad is an expert in the power of suggestion.

It sounds like the "have something to fall back on" conversations actors have when telling their parents about their chosen profession.

But I LIKE your idea; having worked as an actor (and therefore a waiter) I think that most people assume waiters who don't write orders down are good waiters, not mental geniuses/mentalists.

I'd suggest maybe something very small to test the waters with a patron. Something like trying to "read" what a customer wants before they tell you. "You look like a man who drinks Guinness."

Or small Bar Tricks (there are several books on these) that might hook them in and provide you the opportunity to do more mental style tricks.

The only trick I used in a restaurant was the "Tissues over the Head" trick. Families really liked it and kids thought I was showing them something cool.

The best part about being a waiter though is that it's a free class in reading people.

Best of luck,

Sean
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Sean, I that's what was running thru my mind, it was the "have something to fall back on" speech. But we soon got carried away. Your thoughts on it are pretty much mine, and I thank you for your post.

As for reading people in Café's etc. I spend most of my weekend's in Café's pretending to read a book, or reading a chapter, stopping with the book ready on the next and just watching people, "people-watching fun for every introvert".

Alex.

Mentalism -
dyddanwy
View Profile
Regular user
Chester. UK
108 Posts

Profile of dyddanwy
Alex,

I think Sean's: '... trying to "read" what a customer wants before they tell you. "You look like a man who drinks Guinness."...' is a terrific suggestion. And of course, as you both say, the restaurant/cafe is the perfect locale to boost people skills. You could maybe lead it towards a little cold reading perhaps. I have known waiters who could hold a good conversation (as well as those who couldn't!), and the former certainly impress the customers more easily.
JD
Smile
~ ~
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Oh, and for god's sake don't call yourself a "kind of magician"...

Won't help unless you want people thinking "how did you do that"?

/bamba
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism in a real life setting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL