The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close Call Revelations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Two weeks ago I posted an offer to send a draft eBook to anyone on the Café who would commit to feedback on the document or effect. 74 people requested a copy, though many were beyond the posted cut-off date. 23 people actually met their commtment to provide feedback -- some several times -- for whch I am most thankful. A couple posted on this forum and I hope I was able to find their email address. All have been send the final eBook PDF with corrections and many additional thoughts -- the doument doubled in size abd photos were added.

I excitedly await additional feedback from those performing the effect. The eBook is now on sale at eversway.com

However -- this means that only 31% of the responders were willing to meet their commitment! What gives?

The number of requests certainly validates the increased interest in Mentalism -- which I have always felt requires a high decree of trust and intergrity. If someone is not able to meet such a simple commitment how do they relate to an audience effectively? Both conjury and Mental Magic require that you make a promise to a spectator and then follow through. What am I to conclude?

a) many Mentalist wanta-bes fail because they have no idea of audience engagement or the trust and respect involved?

b) a commitment to something "at no charge" has no meaning, as if the value of integrity is grounded in the product rather than self?

c) a commitment made over the Internet has no meaning since the responder has a false persona anyway?

d) people are attracted to Mentalism because it doesn't require any real commitment to anything?

e) I am just an "old fart" whose views of commitment and integrity are but memories of days when you didn't have to lock doors or get a warrenty.

Whatever ...

as a feable Mentalist I predict that as this trend continues so will the death of Magic as an Art (of which Mentalism may or may not be a part). I have had a "Close Call" with today's reality and don't like it one bit!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I understand your frustration and relate to it. This lack of integrity is not confined to mentalism but is just the way it is with world at large. I constantly experience people not keeping their word and I would suggest that a 31% response was quite good compared to my experience.

My guess is that the majority of people respond when there is something in it for them. Once that is satisfied they no longer need you so they don't really bother.

that's has and continues to be my experience on a whole. It gets me down at times but its just how it is.

At least you got 31%. The number of requests also validates that many love freebies. Although there was a small price of "feedback".

It doesn't surprise me about the response. Lets just say as mentalist we should just shrug it off as general human behaviour.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm one of the 31% "committed" sir, and the final product is outstanding! Got it this morning and the result as pro as it gets. In fact I PMd you with a thread which may lead to a sale....Hope so.....Thanks again for a great effect! Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I was always curious about these types of offers here on the Café. This is such a shame on so many levels. I don't think it's a matter of "old fart" mentality (of which I am proud to part of this club and mentality) but rather the more modern "it's all about me" mentality that seems so prominent today. They only see and care how it pertains to them. The don't understand that your offer was just one part of an entire process. A process of time, effort, commitment and more than likely expense in the thinking and creating of the concept, the physical effort of putting these thoughts and concepts to paper, then deciding to market it, followed by the special offer to gain insight from peers, and opinions and feedback from others, only to then have to rewrite and revise, to only then possibly go to market. This offer was to offer mutual benefits to both parties - they get a preview of your product and you get other perspectives from those with similar interests. But as you say, they seem to get what they want and then fail to deliver by fulfilling their end of the agreement.

I think some of it may stem from the amount of newer or younger members to this forum. This is the way their generation operates. This followed by some who may discover this type of effect is not for them, however this is still no excuse as they could simply post a response as promised saying that the effect wasn't their cup of tea, but thanks for offer.

I must say I was glad to hear about your response. As someone who has never released any products to this community I've always wondered how many responses creators get to offers like this, how much of the product they order for the initial run (for non-ebooks), how long the orders come in after the initial release, how and when they decide to cease production of the item, and just how profitable the entire venture was. Thanks for the info as I find it quite interesting.

Although I did not receive the updated or final version, I'm sure with the additions of photos and expanded content it is even better than they great reviews you've already received. Since I understand the workings from the original draft that is really all that is needed, however it would be interesting to see what details or extras have been offered by others as a result of your draft offer.

I wish you the best of luck with this release. With the popularty of no-gimmick, psychological or PK type effects I'd think this would be a winner.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 09:23, funsway wrote:

e) I am just an "old fart" whose views of commitment and integrity are but memories of days when you didn't have to lock doors or get a warranty.

I'll go with this one.

I'm nearly 45 and old enough to remember when things were different.

I can go on and on about most doctors, certain businesses, and the disappearance of "old school" customer service ... but I'd be preaching to the choir.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Hi, funsway.

I am one of the 69% who have not yet responded. That does not mean I don't intend to. My intent was to provide comments after practicing and using it. I have practiced it, and worked on my own patter, and performed a couple of informal test cases with family and friends. Later this week, I will have the opportunity to demonstrate in a bit more appropriate setting (not a paid performance as I am not a professional, but a Halloween social at which I think I can appropriately fit it in to the evening).

If you prefer not to wait, I will write up my comments so far and post them later today.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Ken,

per your PM, I have sent you my preliminary comments. I hope they help.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I received a flurry of new emails -- and most problems seem to stem from performing this with freinds and families.

While this is possible -- it is not a good test of the effect or the psychology involved. If you modify the presentation to accomodate friends you will scuddle later efforts to do it with strangers.

In the final eBook I stress the importance of doing the effect exactly as described until you are proficient -- then look for ways to modify the presentation or approach.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close Call Revelations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL