The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Need some help with a stripped laptop and Open Source to get it going (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Due to divorce my daughter has no way to do her computer related homework at my apartment. My laptop is for work only and my current internet connection is through my Blackberry which I have to have for work.

For Christmas my parents are hooking her up; they are getting her a stripped down laptop, printer and internet and I have to figure out the rest (OS, browser, etc.)

Since I’m newly divorced and squeaking by I’m thinking Open Source (or free) for the laptop is the way to go but I am somewhat clueless so I am asking for some help as to what I should use and what works together.

Since I have used and understand Open Office I am basing everything off what OS’s it can work in.

Operating System – Solaris Vs. Linix from what I have read Solaris wins and is close to Windows?

Office Suite – Open Office

Anti-Virus – Seems to be a joke with Solaris? Last article I found was from ’07 which list Avast and Clam as Antivirus providers while there is nothing I can find on which is better. Looking into it myself I am guessing Avast?

Photo Editor – Paint.NET use it love it!

Browser - I have used Firefox, in the past, there is a Firefox/Thunderbird for Solaris. It appears that Opera is no longer supports Solaris. So Firefox?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Can you not put some form of windows on it? Maybe you know someone with a spare Windows XP license, otherwise you could pick one up second hand very cheaply on ebay or similar or else just ask around some friends who have old laptops or computers that they have got rid of but have retained the Windows discs.

I really think that the added hassles of messing with Solaris or Linux is worth trying to avoid.

If this really isn't an option, I'd go for Linux Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ - I'm not a linux expert but from what I've tried, Ubuntu has been pretty good and the support and number of programs available for it is pretty good.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I installed Ubuntu on an old desktop I have. I haven't used it much but it is nice.
-Matt
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Ah, cool looks like Ubuntu has just about everything on my above list.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Linux is cool because it forces you to think in computer-scientific ways. Mac and PC go out of their way to make you NOT do that. Further, when your Linux works, it is rock-solid.

It's not as esoteric as it used to be, but there is still a learning curve. I have heard very good things about Ubuntu; my experience was with Fedora Core (formerly known as Red Hat.)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Need some help with a stripped laptop and Open Source to get it going (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL