The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » These will force you to do a short Cups and Balls routine! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think that producing an astonishing amount of water from one of the cups is the last or at least next frontier.

Woland
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi All,
Information came my way that Merritt Ambrose is performing an ice act.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge and ask that everyone who has posted on or read this topic await more detail before considering an original theme that has been developed by one of our brothers.
Thank you all and again, my sincere apologies.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Thank you PanLives for the post about my act. My original act does indeed involve cups and balls ala ice and loads.... with a new concept in the design of my cups and loading techniques with these cups.

Best Regards

Merritt Ambrose
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi Merritt,

I think I speak for many when I say we are excited to see what you have created.

Any sense of when your routine might be viewed by the magi or the public?
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Panlives

I will place a video up after November. This act has taken a long time to develope and hopefully many will recognize as my signature act

Thanks
Merritt Ambrose
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Looking forward to this!

Thank you,
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
I am a bartender, which is how I end up doing most of my magic. I see good things coming!
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician
IBM Ring 268 - The Cajun Conjurers
http://www.facebook.com/DavinSimone

Above poster suffers from a severe lack of judgment and logic. Assume any points he made are wrong and baseless.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Bartender that is not a bad idea for a job until I do magic full time. Do magic in my down time and a bartender is a perfect situation. Anyway awsome post with great replies. Everyone said all I could say and more.
Jeremy Gates
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Woland and Panlives, final loads of water have been done before, John Mulholland may have been the first, and the Idea has been since discussed in booklets like Paul Osbourn's Cups and Balls, and I believe in the Eddie Joseph works. the methods for the loads come in various forms, but since I'm in the open forum, I can't say too much.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-10-15 00:13, Dale Houck wrote:
Viking has some "fake" ice with a small water load (just enough to make it wet) that looks like the real thing.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=254

Funny that you mention this. Years back I did a counter levitation using these ice cubes (I had bought them from Joe Stevens Magic Emporium). Because they do not float, I did put one in a glass of whiskey and attached the cube to an invisible thread with a little fishing lead at the end of it as in Gaetan Bloom's effect with the card standing upright on the mat. When taking up the glass I would pull down with my thumb for the ice cube to get to the surface of the liquid (the trick hasn't started as yet and starts only then). Then I was talking about hypnotists and whether what they do is true or not. I raised the question that the audience suspects that the spectators on stage are accomplices. At this stage, focusing the mind power of the audience I made this floating ice cube become heavy like hypnotists do with the eyelids, arms and legs of spectators and slowly I allowed the ice cube sink into the glass. Now an ice cube cannot be an accomplice: thus I let it to "float again" and then with just sheer will power from the audience we were making it sink again.

It was very disturbing for the audience to think that you had just proven to them, right under their noses, that stage hypnotists are not using stooges (even though you never said that). Nice little magical effect: just a counter-levitation
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I missed this thread after the initial post.

Re: Ice loads -- Malini loaded a rather sizeable block of ice under a hat. That's in Vernon's book about Malini. The exact method is not known, but it is certainly similar to Don Alan's block of coal.

That was under a hat, though, and not under a cup.

Re: working with balls of ice -- interesting concept. I would really like to see the final product of the act Merritt is working on.

Re: water loads
National magic had two different versions of the "Miracle Cups," one spun by Burtini in England and the other by someone over here. Each cup was a lota. Not very practical. Buma, Jr. has cups that have water loaders available for them.

@JG the Magnificent --
Being a magic bartender requires even more discipline than being a magician. You have two jobs to fill instead of just one. The bartending job is the real job. You have to come in, get the garnishes ready for the drinks, know the drinks, know the law concerning the drinks and then you have to know when and where to perform the magic. Doc Eason can tell you more about this than I can.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Loading a big piece of ice sounds interesting but I'm not sure it'll work here in the northeast of Brazil. The weather is really hot here, kkkkk, it's not a problem at all because we have the most wonderful beaches of the world. See you!!!
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Hello to all and I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Bill you wrote.. Re: working with balls of ice -- interesting concept. I would really like to see the final product of the act Merritt is working on.

Bill, Hope you are doing well sir! I performed my new act at the Daytona Magic Convention this month to incredible reviews but this version is only the start of my new act. I will have the final act finished by December that includes my newly designed glasses and my new color changing glasses. I use custom built glasses of my design instead of traditional cups for this act. The ice finsh is just the start to the routine. Once I get the act totally finshed and polished I will present it to all. Thanks for your interest Bill
Merritt Ambrose
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 09:15, mydogripper wrote:
Bill you wrote.. Re: working with balls of ice -- interesting concept. I would really like to see the final product of the act Merritt is working on.

Bill, Hope you are doing well sir! I performed my new act at the Daytona Magic Convention this month to incredible reviews but this version is only the start of my new act. I will have the final act finished by December that includes my newly designed glasses and my new color changing glasses. I use custom built glasses of my design instead of traditional cups for this act. The ice finsh is just the start to the routine. Once I get the act totally finshed and polished I will present it to all. Thanks for your interest Bill
Merritt Ambrose

Hi Merritt,

Three Café denizens emailed me over the past two weeks, asking if you might have an update.

With thanks,
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 15:19, panlives wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 09:15, mydogripper wrote:

Merritt Ambrose

Hi Merritt,

Three Café denizens emailed me over the past two weeks, asking if you might have an update.

With thanks,

Does anyone know if Merritt posted a video showing his ice routine?
Paul Mims
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Paul Mims
Tony Shiels had a presentation for the Chop Cup in which the little ball traveled around the world under the control of the magician. On it's last trip, it circles the South Pole and comes back frozen in ice.
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
I did an ice final load routine for a corporate function (which had a fire and ice theme)around 4 years ago. I froze the water in the cups and then let them melt out of the cups so they could re-load. At the gig I basically had this watery pouch but surprisingly, they lasted quite a long time. I had a cooler bag nearby with some spares in but I never ended up using them. To quote the band Chopper One: I had lots of fun
but it really was a hassle. I never bothered with it again.

Andy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I intend to do a short Cups and Balls routine, regardless.
:)

Laurie
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Hello I will post one up... I have been perfecting the additions
Thanks
Merritt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » These will force you to do a short Cups and Balls routine! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL