The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Backdrop/stage question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Wasn't quite sure where to post this as it can go in many sections.

Suppose you want to do a 7-8 min act at a wedding or similar venue. Generally speaking, you don't get a stage per se, more like a dance floor with tables around the dance floor and you basically have to go to the furthest back part of the dance floor and perform.

Does anyone here do manipulation at a situation like this? Obviously you are pretty surrounded except for the very back. Does anyone use any type of back drop to help improve angles? Perhaps some kind of backdrop where the sides come out a bit too which will force people to go to the front if they want to see the show?

Any help or advice?
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As a performer, it is your job to provide a 'suggested' layout for your show. Most of the high end halls have stages available if requested. Not that they have to follow your floor plan, but it is good to offer suggestions on the best way to view your act.

People will generally not move unless instructed to do so, then there is the ones that refuse to do so.

It is nice to have a backdrop for use, but it is used more to point out the place where the action is going on, then to hide your manipulations.

If you have not studied the suggestions in various DVDs, on performing manipulations surrounded, may I suggest you look into it. You may have to leave a move or effect out, but basically it is just an adjustment in hand display position.

I once did a show with some of the people on the side/back of me, after the show a man came up and said he enjoyed the show, and he did not see a thing. Puzzled me, as he had to have missed a lot of the effects, if he had been sitting more to the front. So you never know how they preceive things.

For the most part, if people are to the side and can see hidden objects, I really do not worry about it, as the majority did enjoy the effects as they were intended.

Take a look at the very old shows where they had large orchestras behind the performer, you simply do not worry about it. I am of course speaking about the occasional exposure, not the whole act.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Excellent point.

You have to act as if the people who are directly behind you are witnessing as much magic as those in front of you. This can actually work as a convincer, because the general unwritten rule is that one would never dare to expose the back of his hand to anyone if something was to be hidden there.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You will, of course, know the layout before you get there. If doing manipulation, I would start with it and start at the furthest point from the audience and then walk forward and center as the exposure gets greater.
You can also control this with lighting, as front lighting will mask the heated side of your act.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Many times in a banquet room or dance floor situation you are far back from the audience, if you suspect this will be the case, make other arrangements with your client and the venue/catering manager as early as you can, then double check on the seating arrangements.

Often if you are on the dance floor platform, they will expect you to share the stage with the band or DJ equipment, not a good thing.

Sometimes you’ll have everything arranged (you think) and find it is not set up as agreed, get there very early and double check.

It is impossible (unless you are a large illusion show) to perform effectively with a dance floor between you and your audience, you cannot create rapport, be easily seen or heard, or keep their attention.

I always bring a packs small self-standing backdrop unit in these situations, then you can move to the front of the dance floor in case of emergency.

I’ve had to have venues (when they’ve messed up) tape table cloths over mirrors behind me, ugly.

These situations can be chancy always have back-up material you can do three-quarter round or with people at bad angles.

Always be pro-active and very polite but insistent about your needs in difficult spaces. The “customer” is always right, but not necessarily the “banquet manager.”

Magically,
Walt
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I bring my backdrop with me to every show, even outdoors, in case we have to move inside.

Definitly let the customer know what you need. You could probably even call the hall and tell them what you need and see what arrangements they can make. I think just working the customer can lead to some problems.

As far as people being behind you, I don't think any effects would technically be exposed, as they are probably not going to see the actual trick. However,they won't be amazed.

This backdrop might be good for this type of event as it sets up a lot quicker than the tripod and pole systems.

http://www.mymagicsupply.com/servlet/the......m/Detail
-Matt
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks for the tips anyone.

anyone have any suggestions on readings to build your own backdrop?
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
You could use PVC pipe or conduit to make a backdrop frame, but you are going to have long pieces to haul around. The only really bad thing with this type of backdrop is that it takes time to put together, and would disrupt the flow of the party, especially a bad for a wedding. You don't want to create a bride-zilla. Smile

The great thing about the spider backdrops, the one a few posts above, and the Jeff Jones backdrops is that they set up fast and with one person.
-Matt
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just purchase a Jet Set from Abbott's Magic, unless you are an artist, making one will cost more then a Jet Set. http://www.abbottmagic.com/Jet-Set-8-ABB......oryId=-1 Just add a drape and you are good to go.

Magic Inc. published a book on the Tribble backdrop out of cardboard.
http://www.magicinc.net/supershow.aspx
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
YES! The 8 Foot Jet Set is just great, you can use an opaque but very lightweight fabric like a satin brocade and it looks very professional.

Shoot me a PM if you prefer a version that packs a tad shorter for packing.

Walt
sebastienparis
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of sebastienparis
Do you know spider from germany ?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I would think that sending a simple floor plan with the contract would at least make it clear what you need. It doesn't have to be an architectural-quality drawing, but it could show how you want to be situated in the room.

It always amazes me how people will often do what you want them to do if they only understand what you want. A number of years ago I was producing a magic weekend at Serramonte Center in Daly City, and I sent them a clear sketch of what I wanted for a stage. So I went over a couple of days before the event, and found that they had built exactly what I drew, complete with front steps, stanchions and cords, a backstage area (and steps to get up to it), and side masking. All in the middle of one of the concourses. And they even posted a security guy for the shows, just like I requested.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Spider is ok but you can get the same things for $100 less by looking on ebay under Trade Show displays for pop up displays.

Again, as previously mentioned, you will probably have to share the stage with a band. No matter what system or backdrop you use, you will have to have good communication to get what you need. Remember that you also have to work into all the other wedding activities seamlessly. There are dances, toasts, cake cuttting etc.. Stress to the people that hire you that you want to make this a very memorable evening for everyone by contributing the most you can to their event.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Al Leach
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Al Leach
A simple covering can be made for the Jetset that works like a giant pillowcase - this can give you four different coverings to chose from in just one backdrop if you used four different fabrics to make the case Smile someone who knows more about these things than I do might just be able to cram a few more coverings into this set up by using some velcro'd flaps and the like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Backdrop/stage question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL