The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Occult Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
Good Evening;

So today I took my first foray into Tenyo products! I was at the magic shop in town and they had a Tenyo Occult board for $15. I ended up buying it not really sure if I would actually use it or not. The one I purchased was in reasonably good condition. There was some slight discoloration on the edges of the prop where the plastic is turning yellow on some of the edges. The gimmick itself is fully functional.

I've been wanting a Mental Epic type effect for a while and this will definitely fit and I can see myself using this in some walk-around circumstances. My one concern with it is that it screams "magic prop" and I don't want my spectators to get too close-up with it Smile. Anyone else using one of these? Any thoughts\feedback you have is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I'm not sure I understand what you want but if you like this effect you have to find Menta Marvel , it's the same gimmick but more class and sexy ( I don't know if in english I can say that but in france we can say that, c'est le pays de l'amour ) :

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.com/2010/05/......vel.html

Ps: but I'm sure that JM Talbot can find you one sublime wood version precision craft in precious oak for half less expensive than the horrible plastic version of Tenyo ;o) ^^ (Private joke)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
It's not made of precious oak but this is a fine looking mini mental epic...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-mental-epic-M......8a97c398

John <g>
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Seriously Jeff, as you know Mental Epic is a classic of magic with many great routines. The version Stereo mentions is certainly sleeker but the Occult board is serviceable. If you are looking for routine ideas I would reccomend Paul Rohmany's new book on Mental Epic routines.

http://extrememagicmakeover.com/epic.html

What color is your prop? Is it the white rarer earlier version or orange with ESP symbols?

John
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
Hi John,

The version I have is the white earlier version. I will check out Paul Rohmany's book and also look into Menta Marvel Smile.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I've found that the best way to present an old plastic prop that looks like a toy, is to present it like an old plastic prop that looks like a toy. Seriously, develop a storyline around this old toy that you had as a kid, and you still don't know how it works...or you found it in an old house you moved into, and found it had some weird properties...present it for what it is rather than what it's not.

Remember, there have been many great magicians who've developed marvelous routines using "slum" magic props. These effects have a unique charm all of their own.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Well said Wizard of Oz, totally agree.

John
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
Quote:
On 2010-11-03 20:11, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I've found that the best way to present an old plastic prop that looks like a toy, is to present it like an old plastic prop that looks like a toy. Seriously, develop a storyline around this old toy that you had as a kid, and you still don't know how it works...or you found it in an old house you moved into, and found it had some weird properties...present it for what it is rather than what it's not.

Remember, there have been many great magicians who've developed marvelous routines using "slum" magic props. These effects have a unique charm all of their own.

Wizard of Oz;

Thanks for the tip! I will play with the idea. I have read through the instructions though have yet to start brainstorming a routine as of yet for it. I do like the idea of just presenting it "as-is" with a simple premise. I will play with the idea see what I come up with!

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Occult Board (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL