The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fishing, lies, and mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
When someone fishes they use bait to attract and hook the fish then finish with a net trapping it.

when people lie they "bait" the other with the truth and "net" them in the fabrication.

With mentalism how are you baiting the "fish" and how are you "netting them in your fabrication"

in other words how are you creating the sense of plausibility and increasing your difficulty of performance and how long are you able to keep the audience on the hook moving from believable towards unbelievable?

Just some food for thought for the performers here to consider.

-isi
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
One obvious way to 'bait with the truth' is to use mundane items that are gimmicked. Their familiarity breeds contempt. This contempt opens the possibilities of using i** pads, n*** writers, automatic switches (due to a prop's design) and tonnes of other utility items (like the recently-mentioned clear bag).

T.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Ted,

not really where I was headed with this, but your comment is interesting about the familiarity of tools.

Improper utilization of the tool and routine structure by the user leads to exposure of most products, IMHO. Too many want to run out there and use the item they just got on the masses; leading to improper structure of their routine so the item seems to have more emphasis in the effect (done unconsciously as the performer is currently enamored with the item and secretly wishes others to love it's greatness like s/he does.) the other problem I find though much more common among magicians than mentalists is the over using of "gimmicked" items.

thanks for the reply
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Are Street worker Trolling?

I like the metaphor -- thinking of which effects use nets and which hooks.

methinks some magicians use harpoons to spear minnows,
while others seek whales in buckets.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fishing, lies, and mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL