The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Perfect Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I second Robert Blake's recommendations -- especially as regards Bob Cassidy's "Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism." The "Rt. Rev. Dr. Bob" is one of those who has been a major source of inspiration for me and someone whose insight and understanding of the art, as well as his skill as a performer, one could do well to emulate.
Dick Christian
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
Thanks for the recommendation. Right now, I'm reading 3510 but the Cassidy Book should be the next.
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I come out and ask "Who has good intuition?"

I pick the most enthusiastic hand and launch into the instructions for that 5-numbered cards in envelopes thing...(Bob Mason, I think).

It's quick, the instructions are very clear so everyone knows what's going on...no wiggle room for me or them... and it has the very nice surprise reveal which gets everyone. By its end, they've either had the time to settle down or they've seen a good intro effect that surprises them. Anyway, the reveal seems to lock their attention onto the show.

Quick, direct, very visual and lets them get into attention mode. The effect is not gangbusters or a closer, but it is clean and clear and no way to fake it (other than the way to fake it).

Plus it is self working, so I don't have to think.

And you can then take the opening line "Who has good intuition?" in a hundred different directions, suiting your purpose.

Works for me...it's ideal.

One season I opened the show with Slate Of Mind (the one with the slate and 6 cards) only I had 3 of them onstage, and did S.O.M. 3 times quickly: 3 quick selections, setting the cards on all 3 slates, then did the 3 reveals at once. It worked much better and stronger than a single S.O.M. and was a fine opener. I prefer the cards and envelopes now, tho they have less flash onstage than the 3 slates.

Slate of Mind is a bit Mental-Magikky, but the audience doesn't mind. If you do your mental-magic stuff early and get the props offstage or out of sight, you can swing into the more ephemeral stuff without a hitch.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
My most often used opener is the good old nw. I enter the stage without saying something. then I present a businesscard and pretend to write something on it with a pencil. then I lay down the pencil so that apparently I am just holding the businesscard

then with a serious face expression I point to a person and want her to count their loose money.

when she tells out loud the amount I immediately give the bc to a person sitting near stage to read out loud the words.

of course the amound predicted is correct but it is best to miss it by just a few cents. this opener served me well in the past an the ovations at the beginning are great and I have established my abilities to read minds.

greetings
thomas rudolfo
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I use the TOD.

In fact, I used it tonight with spectacular results in front of 500 Hindu's at a Diwali celebration. The best reaction I got is when the one of the volunteer's forgot the names of the cards I called out. I was going to name all 3 cards again, but as soon as I named the first card, the lady just shook her head yes and sat down...it was a direct hit and the crowd gasped !

Anyways, I found this routine a strong way to start a set. It really looks like mind reading, and there's a ton of flexibility to tailor to your own needs IMO.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 13:33, Thomas Rudolfo wrote:
My most often used opener is the good old nw. I enter the stage without saying something. then I present a businesscard and pretend to write something on it with a pencil. then I lay down the pencil so that apparently I am just holding the businesscard

then with a serious face expression I point to a person and want her to count their loose money.

when she tells out loud the amount I immediately give the bc to a person sitting near stage to read out loud the words.

of course the amound predicted is correct but it is best to miss it by just a few cents. this opener served me well in the past an the ovations at the beginning are great and I have established my abilities to read minds.

greetings
thomas rudolfo

Thomas, tonny van Dommelen (fism award winner 1958, vienna) did also something like that but with a balloon. he enters the stage with a balloon in his hand. he asked the 3 spectators to give a number under 10. he pops the balloon and somebody reads the card. perfect hit. I like this because it is direct - you have a bang - multiple people working with you - visual.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Perfect Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL