The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Henning Gozinta box stage illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I have seen a photo of Doug Henning performing an illusion based on the gozinta boxes where a person appear at the end. Would love to find out more about this. Has anyone seen it? Is it effective? Who owns the right to it?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
You can see him perform this on one of his World of Magic TV specials. It's the one with Marie Osmond, Ricky Schroeder and Shields & Yarnell. Can't remember which year it was off the top of my head.

I saw him do it live in about '81, and I really enjoyed it. Others I've talked to have not been so enthusiastic, but I really liked his patter and routine.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Just finished readind Harrisons book on Henning and I think he referenced Dick Zimmerman on coming up with the stage version
JVHarrison
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of JVHarrison
It was on his sixth television special, which aired in February of 1981. As Frank points out, on the special, he used it to produce Marie Osmond. On tour, he used it to produce two girls, each one emerging from the box with a flapping duck (he then segued into Where do the Ducks Go?). Dick Zimmerman was responsible for coming up with the stage version.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Um ... yah, I wouldn't get too excited about this one.

As I remember the handling of the over-sized boxes was awkward. It doesn't do a thing for me. Some stuff Doug's specials were experimental and only used once. I'm really surprised to hear this made it on tour .. I don't remember seeing it in the live show.

The smaller version called the Driebeck Die is much more entertaining .. packs a lot smaller too!

Steve
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Thanks guys!
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
I too remember this illusion, I saw him do this a number of times on tour. I thought is was very clever plus had the kicker at the end with the production of the assistant. It was in the Owen's catalog at one point. Not sure if they're still making it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Henning Gozinta box stage illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL