The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kids don't learn cursive. Problem? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 14:27, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
As fast as technology progresses, there'll probably be a thread in 20 years, titled 'Kids don't learn how to type. Problem?' By then, they'll have advanced brainwave-reading machines to put out whatever you're thinking!

KDZ CNT SPL WRTH A DM!
But they CAN text.

We had inkwells through the 4th grade, always fun for a leftie learning cursive.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Note lesson 136:
Palmer lessons
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh, I guess that's another letter I either learned differently or just changed.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
I am not saying that I agree with my strict up bringing, but the fact of the matter remains, my parents sent me to catholic school to better prepare me for college. Yes they had some odd ideas back then, but you are looking at the past through the eyes of the present. A kid who would hit a nun back in the 1950's might have been judged to be possessed by the devil.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As long as they have a chance to learn the three "r"'s - reading, reasoning and rhetoric I'm cool with them not learning how to form letters by hand in cursive. At a guess they learn touch-typing which is a different and also useful skill.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 19:37, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
As long as they have a chance to learn the three "r"'s - reading, reasoning and rhetoric

I'm pretty sure they stopped teaching those things a long time ago. Rudimentary reading yes, but that's only so they can take a lot of standardized tests.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I was talking to a mother of a kindergarten student yesterday, and she told me that her son gets computer homework.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I have never had to use cursive in my life. Worthless. A much better use of their time would be to teach them to type.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Just curious. How do you sign a check? Do you print your name? Banks still check signatures, don't they on big checks? How do you sign a credit card receipt? Just curious.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 17:14, acesover wrote:
Just curious. How do you sign a check? Do you print your name? Banks still check signatures, don't they on big checks? How do you sign a credit card receipt? Just curious.

I'm curious about this as well; My signature is just my first and last name in cursive with an underline. That's pretty much what I think of signatures; but my wife (who has excellent handwriting) thinks that that's silly and I do know a lot of people who's signatures is more of a creative mark than a cursive name.

How do you guys sign your name?

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Check, is that like paypal on paper?
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 20:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Check, is that like paypal on paper?

LMAO!!!!!!

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 20:45, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 17:14, acesover wrote:

I'm curious about this as well; My signature is just my first and last name in cursive with an underline. That's pretty much what I think of signatures; but my wife (who has excellent handwriting) thinks that that's silly and I do know a lot of people who's signatures is more of a creative mark than a cursive name.

How do you guys sign your name?

With all the "not needing cursive people" here, it seems like no one can answer these questions.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Wouldn't the "Decleration of Independence" look weird with a bunch of Kindergarden printetd names instead of signatures?

Just thinking out loud.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It would look even weirder with the word "Decleration" at the top. Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 15:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
It would look even weirder with the word "Decleration" at the top. Smile

John

Ha, Ha, it sure would. But who would be so stupid?.......whoops! Smile
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
My grampa could write, in cursive, his first and last names simultaneuosly; first name with his left hand and last name with his right. They lined up and looked like they were written with the same hand. I have a sample of it here somewhere. We once talked him into writing out one of his stories that way, but it did get a little worse as he went along.

My 8 year old neice is pickled tink that she can write cursive now.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

In answer to your question - a numeric key or digital equivalent to a chop will do just fine.

The problem of electronic signatures has been with us for almost a generation and it's just about to get common as folks start needing longer passwords to serve as unique identifiers. Right now your public key is your SOC (usually your last four digits) and your private key is your mother's maiden name. A handshake - not quite PGP but getting there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kids don't learn cursive. Problem? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL