The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New promotional poster....your thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
I feel like all I do is criticise and get flamed but here goes... It doesn't look professional, It looks like what it is, a homemade poster designed by someone with a passing knowledge of photoshop or indesign. Get a professional designer to do it!
I keep on saying it but I would'nt get my Uncle Ted who does the 21 card trick to perform at my wedding... I'd get a pro magician!
Ade
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Scott,

First: Thank you for your service.

For the poster, I love the concept. You are clearly differentiating yourself from other magicians, and it's such a unique concept.

My credentials to give advice on advertising is, well, is non-existent, but if you want to hear from a layman...

The headline is a little hard for me to read. But you already heard about that and addressed it.

The "toughest audiences", dog tag, "Operation Magic": definite keepers.

The AGT and quotes: pure GOLD. Whether you keep the 50 in there or change it to "Top Finisher" or some other phrase is up to you. But it is pure gold.

The "Magic Comedy & Illusion" section might benefit from having its own poster. If you’re making a mini-poster or flyer for agents they can tell you better then I if 2 separates would work better. My thoughts are that you could refine the copy for each type of show in separate posters/flyers.

I like your photo; just a hint of a smile. That's cool. The background photo on the lower half: how about a view of a military audience (something like the USO show posters we used to see) in the same watermark type of background so your test shows up well.

The only thing I didn't care for (and this is my personal taste) is the "highest rated on the West Coast" phrase. To me it sounds like the old shady used car salesmen stereotype thing. As much as I cherish the day I had with Carl Ballantine, I wouldn't buy a car from "Carl Tucker".

With so many people making such claims, I think it just waters them all down and reduces the respect of those using them. Your AGT creds are far superior to a general claim, so I'd just go with that. Again, my personal opinion.

Overall I really like your plan. If you're targeting a military audience this is great. If you’re targeting agents, it represents your unique show very well (the issue of separate item already noted).

Great job.

Finally, enjoy your well-deserved Veteran's Day.

Beano
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Hi,
I think you have too much information for a poster, it's ok to have a lot of information on a a flyer but a poster is just glanced at so needs to make an impact... straight to the point.

Attached is the sort of thing I had in mind, far from perfect and not sure if the stencil font works but you get the idea.

Here's a link to bigger: http://www.monster-creations.com/POSTER_1.jpg

Hope this helps,
Ade

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! That is a really nice poster you made monstercreations. Like it a lot, draws attention as it should. The only thing is missing is a magic theme, maybe a faint see through layer type picture of William Anderson performing with an illusion prop in that dark area to the left. To my way of thinking just using the word MAGIC does not convey he is a magician or performing magic. The stencil font says military to me. Great job!

So many companies use the word magic in their advertising today, it has become a generic word meaning many things. We even have a radio station that call themselves Majic in the morning.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Pay Ade right now! Great job.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Wow Ade...thats really good.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
The original is awful as a poster and I wasn't sure what Ade's offering would be but I have to say I thought it was quite good. I think Ade will agree and I don't know if anyone else pointed this out. You shouldn't have more than three font types on a poster 4 TOPS. The "New" poster is clear, communicative, clean, fairly strong and just looks like a fairly solid poster. You're a decent looking guy Scott so I would really look for a new head shot. I don't think this one is great, it's not the worst by far but it could be better. Being a "Military magician" is a little tough as in the military you need to have a "war face" but in entertainment you need to be welcoming so it is a tough, fine line. I just don't think this facial expression conveys anything. Well heres what it does convey actually. Your brows are lowered which conveys anger or focus, your eyes are slightly tightened which again conveys anger or focus, your lips are slightly up turned which conveys slight happiness but your lips are also slightly push out which creates an almost incredulous look. Basically you look annoyed and slightly contemptuous. I like the shirt, your frame looks impressive which is good for the military aspect, again your a decent looking guy just a different facial expression (decent is all I can muster when talking about another guy).

The new poster still could use a bit more magic but it is so much better. It's also coming through a bit dark on my monitor.

Really good job though Ade, much better. Figure out how to run with this Scott. Perhaps a military discount Ade on this Veteran's day? Also, Scott ask Joanie who's doing her website, you'll be surprised and he does posters too.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
WOW!!! I am so glad I posted that on here. I am learning so much about posters! You guys are great. Ade!! I must say you are a true professional, and I can't thank you enough for doing that. Too bad your first post wasn't as constructive..... ;-) Now I feel like the A.H. So.....do you take American, or Euro's??? That truly a vast improvement!
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Hi,
You can have it on me as it's Rememberance Day here in the UK.

That image displayed is very low res and no good for print, I'd need a higher resolution image and the size you require to do the job properly.

cheers,
Ade
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2010-11-11 08:09, monstercreations wrote:
Hi,
I think you have too much information for a poster, it's ok to have a lot of information on a a flyer but a poster is just glanced at so needs to make an impact... straight to the point.

Attached is the sort of thing I had in mind, far from perfect and not sure if the stencil font works but you get the idea.

Here's a link to bigger: http://www.monster-creations.com/POSTER_1.jpg

Hope this helps,
Ade

Monster is a fantastic shop. I have used Ade and will again soon. Fantastic and creative work!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
JasonB.....HAHAHAHA! Thanks man, I am happy with decent.....I will ask Joanie. It's not Favarty is it?? He's the one who took the photo I used.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Oh I just meant the design not the photography but looks like you'll get the design from Ade. Ask her anyway, it'll surprise you.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
In my opinion, Ades poster isn't bad just like the original isn't bad....but NEITHER do the show justice. I look at both and say, "what does this guy do again?". No pop or credibility brought to the table. Although it does hit keypoints, and has gotten rid of most text.

This is a magic show...not a keynote speaker. His show sounds pretty spectacular...yet the posters don't scream that. NO KIDS are gonna look at these and say, I wanna go.

I sent you an email, Anderson. So much more can be done with your marketing material. The marketing factor of the poster is just as important as the design...so far, I think the marketing is missing.

Visual visual visual! Sooo much missing!
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Hi,
I agree videokideo, but I was only working with the original artwork from this site. Mine wasn't a finished item, it was a quick knock-up to be shown what could be done.
Ade
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Understood Ade....would help to have some more photos from his show...like illusions shots and all.

There has to be a nucleus the marketing revolves around. One factor that ties it all together. My suggestion to Anderson was the dogtag. Make sure the dogtag is in every print piece of material. Create an interactive cd rom shaped like a dogtag that hangs on a chain. Everything is on that cd including video and photos. The chain wraps all print material together like a top secret packet, and they can pop the dogtag in their computer for interactive viewings. The outside of the packet can even say "TOP SECRET" and it would make sense seeing magic is a bunch of secrets.

Id also give away dogtags to every kid who came to the show. next thing you know every kid is wearing your advertising around their neck. Boys keep those forever. I still have my first tag I got at age 8. Pressed dogtags are cheap when you order them by the bulk.

So now youve got dogtags on all print material, an interactive cd made to look like a dogtag and provides interactive promotion, and dogtags that kids receive at the shows.

When I put together a marketing plan, I focus on the entire package...not just a poster, brochure or website. All has to work together and each piece must have a purpose. And they all have to be tied together by a common factor...in this case, the dogtag.

Great job though, Ade. The text points you included are what was needed...now just a little flashy visuals.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
ADE, and Videokideo! Your work and ideas are phenominal. I got your email, and will contact you shortly. I think that is a great idea!!
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Love the branding ideas! Love Ade's work as well! Great job. I love seeing real sincere help happening here (there's been a few examples lately). Keep us up to date please.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Ade, I think I'll be asking for your services in creating my poster once I get up & running.

Brilliant job!
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
Scott,

I didn't read everyone's post, so forgive me if I'm repeating something they've already said. Smile

Also, I'd like to hear more about specifically how you plan to use this poster. That alone will affect much of my feedback. Smile

I actually think you should maintain your military brand. That's how people know you and without it, all the exposure you got on AGT and YouTube as the "military guy" might be wasted.

However, I do agree that you shouldn't go "hard-edged" with it. We've seen your soft side and that is a large part of your appeal.

Here are some of my first impressions:

* I'd eliminate "Top 50 Finisher" and just say "Top Finisher". Top 50 doesn't sound that impressive.

* Choose just ONE of the testimonials from the judges. (Whichever judge appeals most to your target demographic.) The reason is because it looks like those are the only three testimonials you've got. Smile

* Don't blend the tough-guy image with anything regarding kid's parties.

* Who exactly is the toughest audience in the world? The headline isn't very compelling. Who wants a guy who performs for tough audiences? We want the guy whose audiences LOVE him and are EAGER to see him.
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
The last half of these posts are pure gold. I'm glad everyone decided to lighten up and actually offer some sound advice. Ade, what you did to Scott's poster was absolutely incredible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New promotional poster....your thoughts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL