The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eat It, Mrs. Koman... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
I am so sick of the breast cancer movement. More men die from prostate cancer then women do breast cancer, yet we see pink ribbons on everything from cereal boxes to NFL gear. Nothing for men, I take that back, we get misnomer like "deadbeat dad" (but no deadbeat moms).

Men, I urge you have rectal exams when you visit your doctor, Get Prostate Specific Antigen test age 40 and up to detect prostate cancer early. If your the person that squirms when I say 'rectal' and 'prostate', shame on you.

May God have mercy on the moderators of this forum who delete this thread. Let's raise some awareness!

HH
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Uhm, not to be a party pooper here, but November is known a "Movember" In honor of this very issue. Men everywhere are encouraged to grow a mustache, and then have it shaved off in order to raise awareness of prostate cancer, and maybe raise funds for research.
Personally, I am weary of what I call compassion fascism, I have started saying no to people selling raffle tickets, fund raising chocolate bars, social tickets or many other things because I get tired of the constant approaching about all sorts of issues. I give as much as I can manage then turn off the tap.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 19:37, Happy Hank wrote:
I am so sick of the breast cancer movement. More men DIE from prostate cancer then women do breast cancer, ...

I'm no expert, but I think you might have been misinformed. You have any sort of source to cite for your statement? What I found:

Estimated new cases and deaths from breast cancer in the United States in 2010:
New cases: 207,090 (female); 1,970 (male)
Deaths: 39,840 (female); 390 (male)

There are about 192,000 new cases of prostate cancer and 27,000 deaths each year; it's the third-most common cause of death from cancer in men.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com/....../1316519
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Don't hate on the breast cancer movement, they have been successful in making a breast cancer something to be addressed and dealt with it in the open. (Arguably in a way that could be seen as infanalizing women, that's a legit gripe IMO)

Prostate cancer is serious. If you are that concerned about it why not LEARN from the success of the breast cancer movement.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Anyway, it's not as though it is a contest. Raising awareness for one form of cancer probably raises awareness for cancers as a whole.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
The problem is prostate cancer doesn't have a symbol like the pink ribbon.
I say we all start hanging latex gloves from our car antennas.

Speaking of the ribbon, an interesting tid bit, no one owns it apparently. Unless I am misinformed, anyone can slap it on anything and sell it.

Might be one of the things that helped with awareness.
As such, I give full permission to everyone to use my latex glove idea.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
May as well go all the way and tie a pink ribbon around a small pink balloon rathen than a simple loop or bow.

no comment about the glove thing - too TSA for me.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The breast cancer people spend more money on saleries and advertizing to get more money than they actually do for research. Too bad, very well organized money mill.

(Note: my mother was a breast cancer survivor prior to being killed by medicare.)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 22:04, MagicSanta wrote:
The breast cancer people spend more money on saleries and advertizing to get more money than they actually do for research. Too bad, very well organized money mill.

That's probably too general a statement, considering how many different breast cancer organizations there are. Some are better than others (well, that's obvious I guess):

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article......l?cat=70
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The big pink label crew.

I've always thought breast cancer was caused by pink dye.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Santa, I'm not sure your numbers hold up (see link above).

But anyway ... this was a Movember promotion:

"Women of the Internet unite to spread the word about Have Sex With a Guy With a Mustache Day on November 18th."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudcxvmHoyQ

"You're not a *** if it's for charity."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eat It, Mrs. Koman... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL