The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » IF you could really restore a newspaper...what would you add to it to hand out??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Guess this is the right place to post/ask this!!

Been working on a version of the torn and restored newspaper where it can be handed out at the finish.

What I'm wondering is..if you could really do this, what would be good to have in or with the paper for people to see or keep???

One thing I'm thinking is to have some of your business cards taped/glued ,so they're removable, in there (like a couple on each page or as many as you'd want) as that'd be a a good way to hand 'em out along with the finished magic. Your "ads in the paper".

Maybe if your doing close-up before the show...have the paper signed by people and after it's restored, toss it out!

Anybody got any other ideas????
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
No other ideas???

Well...anybody think that it'd be a good idea to hand out a restored newspaper with your "ads" (actually your business cards or copies of them) in the paper...and and as many as you'd want to put in there and any place you'd like (I like a couple on each inside page, different locations)??

Asking as this is something I plan to offer in the future.

More WHEN there's a video to post!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
The only way I can see this "making sense" in the context of a newspaper is if the front page of the newspaper features an article about you, the magician. But then it is only one copy of the paper, so I don't know how much bang for the buck you get with something like that. Newspapers don't have business cards taped in them, so I just don't see how that "fits".

Now magazines have those stupid subscription cards, frequently just shoved between the pages. You could have business cards made in that size and stock and do some type of torn and restored magazine -- but that would be a completely different trick.

Just my opinion.
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
If you can find a printer willing to do it, make your own newspaper, with all the adverts being yours?

You can even make the story a resume or something. Getting a couple hundred should not break the bank too badly.
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Actually, what got me thinking about doing it with "stuck in" business cards (or copies of 'em on newsprint colord paper and taped it) was where I've seen newspapers where they had a section where they had cards from different businesses printed...and then the times when we've got the paper with something in there that's removable (like the schedule of a local sports team I remember)...so in my working on a t&r newspaper that could be handed out at the end and how magicians like to hand out their business cards, that would be a natural way to give out "cards" and have the paper so it's completly examinable also.

Even with just one copy of a business card (or info or whatever you'd like) on each page...the way I'm doing this with a two section newspaper, 8 pages each, there'd be 16 of 'em to hand out with the restored paper.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish and I were batting around his Torn and Restored Comic Book effect (from his Kids Magic section on my site) and we came up with the idea of using a comic book sort of like the old Mandrake the Magician comic books, but using cartoons of the performer instead of Mandrake. In Jim's version, the comic book is signed by one of the spectators and then it is handed out "to the owner who signed it" after being restored. The personalized comic book (as long as it had to be printed out anyway) then made sense. At the bottom of each page was the contact info.

But then I started thinking... and I always get into trouble when I start thinking... what if, after giving away the restored comic book pages, you could open the comic book and the pages you just tore up were back in the book? The idea was that the book also restores itself. And to prove that concept, you tear out the same pages, tear them in two, and restore them to show that the pages have doubled. We figured you could do this maybe two more times, giving away eight pairs of restored double pages, and still having the torn out pages back in the comic book at the end. This was made possible by using Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's new/old principle he worked out for his Magic Story Books.

I never wrote up this brainstorming session we had, but if anyone who purchased the TR Comic Book from Jim can identify himself as a purchaser by his e-mail address and requests it, I'll be happy to share it as a bonus (not an addendum because that requires me to go back and redistribute it to all previous purchasers). No one will even request it unless they read about the offer here.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Really GOOD ideas!! I know I just wanted to come up with a way to restore the newspaper and hand it out and finish clean. Been working on this for some TIME now but it is FUN trying about every possible way there is to fold, tear, and restore it...and every type of gimmick too.

This is looking good but like I always say...will just be another way of doing it..with weak and strong points like all the others out there.

Turns out that doing it with 16 pages makes for more difficult "keeping the pieces lined up right" (of course with twice as many!) and the standard 4 double pages/eight in all does work better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » IF you could really restore a newspaper...what would you add to it to hand out??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL