The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cases/crates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I'm curious to know what others' points of view are, and what they prefer.

Obviously breaking down your props and packing them into ATAs in the best way to go. No better way to transport your props. Crates are a step below ATAs. I hate arriving onsite and having to unpack a bunch of crates and cases (added weight) and having to assemble each illusion. Because of this, I can travel with my Magic Makers' Crusher fully assembled minus the legs, Kub Zag fully assembled minus the legs, Origami, Sub Trunk, and Blamo fully assembled, and Modern Art broken down into it's cases -- it only takes about 30 seconds to set up. This makes for a quick and efficient load in/out. And, I can fit it all into my standard Chev cargo van, along w/ a sound system, stand up props, and product to sell. Much easier that unpacking cases. The downside is the props show a lot more wear -- scuffs, knicks in paint, etc. Requires more maintenance. I used to have covers for all my stuff made out of packing blankets but those slowly walked off on me, one by one.

Obviously each way has it's advantages and disadvantages. Which do you prefer, and why??
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Cases for sure!
Maybe for you is different because you travel with you own van..but when I send the illusions somewhere in the world the cases are the right choice.
Also,honestly,looks more professional than take the illusion already build from the track.
Just my opinion.
:)
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I have crates for my sawing-in-half buts cases for everything else. If I'm performing locally, (within 10-15 miles of my house), sometimes I'll have things partially assembled and just have packing blankets over them. For any trip longer than that, I have them packed in the crates for the very reasons you stated i.e. nicks, chips, scuffs.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Interesting topic.

I sometimes use cases and sometimes transport assembled illusions, but with the legs put aswell. Briansmagic, why take away the legs? Sure, if you do it, it's for some reason, but I can not think what. Gaps between the legs are very handy for carrying small boxes, etc.

By the way, I was surprised that so much equipment can fit in a standard van. I would like to see how you arrange them. Have you got any pictures of all your equipment loaded? Thanks
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Whenever I buy something (Unless it's from Dream Illusions), it usually comes in a simple crate. I continue to house and store the illusion in the crate until I have developed, practiced and rehearsed the presentation of the illusion thoroughly. Once I know it has found a place in my show, I invest in a well built ATA case to ensure the safety of the illusion during transport. When setting up and tearing down my illusion show, I negotiate 90 minutes for load in, set up, lighting rehearsal, and sound check. The tear down and load out takes about half that time. My stage manager and my assistant both help with all of the backstage work, before and after the show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Sorceror,
I take the legs off because there isn't room for the height of Kub Zag and Crusher in the van w/ the legs on.

I've noticed it seems a lot of people wonder how I can get so many mostly/fully assembled illusions in my van. I think part of it is luck -- just so happening to have illusions which fit together well. I have the Crusher pushed forward to where it is touching the driver's seat, long side of the prop parallel to the long side of the van. Behind that is Origami totally assembled. Inside crusher and underneath Origami is sound equipment, table w/ stand up props, product for sale, etc. To the right hand side of the van, I have the large modern art case touching the back of the passengers' seat, the small modern art case behind it, followed by the sub trunk tipped up on it's side w/ Blamo nested over top of it, with the walls in their "down" position, and Kub Zag right behind that. It's a VERY full van, hardly room for luggage, but it works for us, and helps us w/ a speedy load in given the size of the show.

Great to hear from everyone who responded. I am thinking about starting to pack everything into their crates & cases. What do others do??
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I just saw a show this past weekend. The show was great.. the magician was great.. but his props looked like they hadn't been polished or touched up since 1982... also around the time that most of them seem to have been built judging by the design.

in short.. it was a great show and I just felt sad for the illusion... they looked like sh^&
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Each and every illusion is is a road case except my subtrunk which I use as a road case.
we haul a trailer all over the country and I rather have the props protected and packed upon each arrival.

it takes about 6-7 hours to load in and set up for each full stage show.
but that's setting up curtains lights, sound, special effects, all the magic and illusions. but worth it

again for this topic I prefer to have each prop braken down and put in a case
the only prop that is not broken down is my Spiker but that is for the fact that it does not break down. jsut wheel it in the case and wheel it out when needed got to like that.

be safe and have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Most of my Illusions are built to roll right in the cases already set up. It makes for much larger cases and larger trucks, but it helps to set up the stuff very fast. If we are doing a big show I use two 24 ft trucks and normally only one 24ft truck and some times if we are doing a really short gig... a 15ft truck..

My cases are made in different colors for the most part... These three puple cases go to the Levi etc.. This is nice when you go to a town where you have people helping you load and unload... Say give me the two silver cases and you would know that it's the Interlude or what ever effect that you have in that color.. If you have 20 or 30 black cases it would be a little harder to get it done as fast I would guess... My friend Ray Lum has all black cases, but he does have the names of each prop on the cases pretty big so that your workers could help faster..

I think that cases are a great way to protect your investment. If you have nice ATA cases your props will last a long time..
Props seem to resell faster also... Because people want cases and the props that that buy will be in better shape as a result of the cases...
If you load your own stuff get 1/4 inch cases and have the illusions break down as small as they can which means more small cases..
If you have other people loading the truck you may want to go with 1/2 case, but they are way heavier..
I hope this helps.

TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
One of the other questions that is addressed in this thread (whether you use case or crates) is whether you carry your illusions fully (or partially) assembled in their case/crate.

When I have an illusion without a case/crate I look at the type of show I will use it in, and where I will be using it, also the wear and tear to the prop by dismantling it. Another consideration is whether there is much saving in space of having it break down. An example for this would be my Kovari Box illusion. The type of show I use this in is where I want to open the case and wheel it out ready to use, I also did not feel there was much saving in space by breaking it down.

I noted on several of my Gaughan illusions several parts travel assembled ie. the Crystal Box Illusion frame and plexi stay assembled, and my Sword Box Illusion box. In the case of the casket there would be considerable assembly and I am certain after a few times the high polished frame would start to show "wear". I am glad it stays the way it is.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Blair
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Good thoughts everyone! Great to hear everyone else's point of view. You touched on a good point, Blair -- how much space is saved by breaking down the illusion. I once had a Head Over Heels from Magic Makers, and it came in a very large, heavy case. As with all of Magic Makers' props, the thing completely disassembled -- each and every flat piece. It took very considerable time to assemble the three boxes. If each of the boxes was left assembled, you would save a ton of time, and add only a few inches of depth to the case!

You all are convincing me to start packing everything in it's cases and crates again...
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I'm of Brian's opinion of partially assembled illusions with just having to bolt on the legs and such. Our puzzle illusion, from Magic Makers, packs in two cases. Base and the top. So setting it up really only takes five minutes.

Of course it depends on your transportation method. Small illusions like the Kovari box don't take up much space in a van by themselves. If you're only taking out one illusion from time to time packing "small", if you can call illusions small, really isn't a concern. I toured for a time with a fellow who had six major illusions. Each of them packed absolutely flat. It was amazing what he could fit in a GM van. Of course it took some time to assemble and tear down each illusion. That was MY job. So if you can afford the time and man power, packing flat might be the best way to go. Of course if ones just collecting illusions, then as Blair suggests, storing them in the garage completly assembled might be the best solution so they don't get scratched or damaged. IMHO

John
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 14:21, briansmagic wrote:
I take the legs off because there isn't room for the height of Kub Zag and Crusher in the van w/ the legs on.

Off course!! How could I not realize? Smile Smile

Really a lucky van, a "tetris" van! Well thought. Thanks for sharing your experience
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cases/crates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL