The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Card Stock? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I recently ran out of my business cards (given to me at my previous job), so I had nothing with which to perform the few mentalism effects I do. So I went out to my local Office Depot and picked up some blank Avery "Clean Edge" Matte business cards. However, I was disappointed to learn that, unlike my previous business cards, these cards just don't handle well. They are difficult to separate and are practically impossible to fan. So I went back and this time I bought the Avery cards with the "glossy" finish. Unfortunately, these really aren't any better. Does anybody have any suggestions for business card stock that "handles" well? Thanks!

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Take one of your old cards to a 'real printer' and ask to have the exact stock for your new cards.

Self print cards just scream I am not good at what I do and have to print my own cards.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 19:23, R.S. wrote:
I recently ran out of my business cards (given to me at my previous job), so I had nothing with which to perform the few mentalism effects I do. So I went out to my local Office Depot and picked up some blank Avery "Clean Edge" Matte business cards. However, I was disappointed to learn that, unlike my previous business cards, these cards just don't handle well. They are difficult to separate and are practically impossible to fan. So I went back and this time I bought the Avery cards with the "glossy" finish. Unfortunately, these really aren't any better. Does anybody have any suggestions for business card stock that "handles" well? Thanks!

I've experienced the same problems with printer-friendly card stock. I ended up buying professionally made cards on 14 or 16pt stock with UV coating. They fan perfectly. I don't know of any home-printing stock that will do as well.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Maddened
I'm afraid there is no alternative but to get a printer to make you a new batch. Although there's always fanning powder..... Smile
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 19:29, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Take one of your old cards to a 'real printer' and ask to have the exact stock for your new cards.

Self print cards just scream I am not good at what I do and have to print my own cards.

Jim

Thanks Jim. However, I'm not a professional and I don't need anything actually printed on them. I just need blank cards. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good stock at either Office Depot or Staples. Going to a "real printer" and/or spending too much more than $20 or $30 for a couple hundred blank cards would really be overkill for what I do.

Ron
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Order from got print.com or Vista print
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Order the cheapest thing possible
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Actually remember to get the highest quality business card that you can buy. Remember it's maybe a business card, but it's also a calling card. And as so it tells on you, it says WHO is calling.
Whether you believe that or not it's simply true. Remember there's lies, ***ed lies and statistics. And these stats are as old as the hills and they constantly say the same thing: People want to see a top quality calling card.
Ignore that at your peril.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
LOL, I really cannot believe that I had such a harmless word astrisked out (see above). Are we going totally mad in here?
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Bobser, it's been that way for ages. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Bob, bet this guy must be rolling in the money then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk

:lol:
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Bobser, Ron said he doesn't use the cards as business cards or give them out.
Bushido
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Bushido
A glossy finish can sometime be difficult to write on so try a thicker 14pt – 16pt matte card. I like silk lamination with rounded corners as some work is easier since they have the feel of playing cards. With a silk laminate you’ll want to use a sharpie though.

Hope this helps.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Indeed it does! Thanks everyone!

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Indeed it does! Thanks everyone!

Ron
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I use Vistaprint cards as they are ideal for mentalism, but they don't fan well. I recently found an effect which needed a slight sleight, so so I tried a tiny dab of baby powder on each card - it worked perfectly.

Barry
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Apologies David, I'm a dick. I never read it properly!!! Smile
ChrisWall
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of ChrisWall
Interesting there how dick didn't get censored but ***ed did Smile

I saw some blank cards on amazon that worked fairly well but can't find the link. Try there though.
"Have your cake and eat it... there's no other reason to have a cake" - Derren Brown

https://www.chrisreadsminds.co.uk
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I went to staples a few weeks ago, to the place were they print cards for you. I asked if they would just cut 500 cards for me and leave them blank.

No problem at all and I think it was CHEAPER than getting the Avery cards that I had originally planned on buying.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I prefer to use an old 'Sporting Post' as I find I get better results. Sorry.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Card Stock? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL