The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sharpie / Pen Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I was in a magic shop a few days ago and a guy there showed me a sharpie vanish where he held the sharpie between his hands, then snapped his fingers and vanished it. I've figured out a rough method, but I'd like to know if there's a book/dvd I can learn this so I can get it looking smoothly.

He also did an interesting illusion where the sharpie appeared to shrink, just by tossing it between his hands. A source for that would be great too.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Bizzaro has a whole booklette on Sharpie magic.
http://www.smappdooda.com/vend.html

Randi
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Flip stick move...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rune Klan does Has a beautiful take on this.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is another Café thread that may answer your question. I cannot tell you what the guy you incountered did as I was not there and your discription is not full enough to guess. To vanish a pen a simple sleeving techniques could have been used. or an elastic pull. Being you were in a Magic Shop, why didn't you ask if they sold those effects?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

The guy wasn't wearing sleeves, so it wasn't a sleeving technique. I also looked into the Bizzaro tutorial and it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. I asked the shop keeper there if he knew, but he wasn't too sure either.

I'll take a look at Rune Klan's. Vinny was actually there when I was trying to figure it out, so I'm hoping his is the one I'm looking for. Sleightly_Dangerous is probably right in that it was just the flip stick move. But how he got it so fluidly and went right into a finger snap has me a bit stumped. I might look into the Very Best of Flip first.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
It sounds like the flip stick move. You can find a description in Tarbell V7.

Penguin Magic shipped a free video with some flip-stick moves, and it looked good.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Shoot Ogawa has a dvd on Flipstick, I believe it is called "Wand Routine". I have it, it is an excellent resource on the subject and the techniques are very well taught. If you learn to vanish a wand you will certainly be able to manage a pen.
sushimonster
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of sushimonster
Thanks for pointing out that routine, Neal. I never came across it. Shoot is amazing.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

WOW. Shoot's wand routine is amazing, and the vanishes he does are EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

I looked into Rune Klan's Impromptu Hitman routine, it's only available in Joshua Jay's 3 DVD set, which is a bit out of my price range right now. So now I'm looking into Flip!'s Flipstick and So Much More, Shoot's Wand Routine, and also Gregory Wilson's On the Spot (Recap).

Does anyone know if Greg Wilson teaches flipstick in detail for Recap? Or am I better off with something like the Shoot's routine?
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
I can't help you with Recap. I've not got it (I've seen the routine but not the teaching.)
It's more specific to a pen though.

If you want to learn Flipstick moves then Shoot's DVD teaches a great amount of detail on the basics, subtleties etc.
Then there's Flip's DVD (Vol.4). Much to my chagrin, I don't have this and originally learned the move from Cellini's Royal Touch. I saw Shoot's routine and got his dvd from which I learned the finer points. I use moves from Shoot's routine in my work a lot. There are some quite practical and natural acquittements in there.

Back to your original application; I had a go with a pen and a snap of the fingers and it works quite well. The snap leads the attention exactly where you want it to go...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Mavericklancer

The flip stick moves will nicely compliment the Recap (original is in Art of Astonishment, recap revisited is in On the Spot), but I don't think Greg taught the flip stick move in OTS. He does teach a striking vanish, which again could go nicely with the flip stick moves.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Thanks, John. I'll be picking up On the Spot after I get the fine points for the flip stick from Shoot's routine. He does a lot of amazing things with it, and I'm hoping to create a routine combining Shoot's Wand Routine, Greg Wilson's Recap Revisited, and Homer Liwag's Marksmanship with a few of my personal touches.

Ever since I saw that sharpie snap vanish, I've been hooked on pen magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sharpie / Pen Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL