The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advise for Mentalist Effects that "Read People" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
I've recently had an idea that I wanted to start doing some mentalist type effects, but not so much as a mind reader but as someone who reads people really well. In other words, I want to emphasize my sales ability in divining things by understanding and reading people NOT reading their minds. (In other words, I "read" their facial expressions, inflections, body gestures, etc. - even though the effects are standard predictions or other mentalist effects)

I would really appreciate any direction, specifically in terms of books, dvds or effects that would be especially strong for the type of mentalism I want to perform.

Thanks in advance for any positive direction. As someone who used to be a very active performing amateur, I am looking to get back into magic 20 years later matching my current profession and lifestyle.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Here is something that may interest you.

http://www.imentalism.com/e-books/readings/face-reading

I understand there are flash cards available now too.

Rich
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Thanks Ric. To be clear, I love Banachek and others and want to do standard mentalist effects. My angle is that I am not reading their minds, rather from experience I am reading people, yet do the SAME effects. I am looking for good direction on mentalist effects, dvds or books with good audience proven effects that will not be lost if I am not a "psychic". Again, thanks for help!
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Browse the Wonder Wizard website. Many systems on "reading people"

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
Are you interested in genuinely reading people or present mental effects as if you're reading a person? Just about any mental effect could be twisted to loo as if you're reading that person.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is an old book by Arnold Furst -- "Hypnotism for Salesman" that is worth a read.

I have used mentalism and conjury methods in more than 40,000 sales presentations.

Both magic performance and direct sales use the same basic elements of persuasion and inducement.

In some sales training classes I would require each student to learn and perform a magic effect
to increase their confidence and timing
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bharris0225
View Profile
New user
Indiana
70 Posts

Profile of bharris0225
That sounds like a really good idea Funsway! I am in sales and have been tossing the idea around of mixing my sales skills along with my mentalism skills. Glad to see someone else does it too!
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
MarkinMadison - If your looking for something 'pre-packaged', then Larry Becker's 'Sneak Thief' or Andy Nyman's 'Graphology' is a good start. Ultimately though, most mentalism effects can be presented in this manner with a little thought. It's all about how you reveal the information you've obtained Smile
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
In the same vein, you might want to read Mitox. As mentioned above, the trick am what you say it am. Just tell them that that's HOW you're doing it, and they'll accept that. Almost any effect will do.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
As Tom says, whether you state that you're reading body language or are receiving mystical vibrations from the ether, that's just the "back story" – the method you claim you're using to achieve your miracles. Derren Brown has built a career on couching many classic mentalism plots as people-reading and people-manipulating.

It's the back story I use for most everything. That said, there are some effects that lend themselves especially well to this theme. One of my favorites is "Ode To Ekman" by Sean Waters (a regular around the Café and a great thinker.) It was inspired by the actual research done over 40 years by Dr. Paul Ekman into micro-expression. The premise is that you are able to read split-second flashes of true emotion even when your participants are trying to hide their feelings. (Dr. Ekman is the inspiration for the "Lie To Me" TV series.)

You might want to check it out.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 23:06, RicHeka wrote:
Here is something that may interest you.

http://www.imentalism.com/e-books/readings/face-reading

I understand there are flash cards available now too.

Rich

Rich Thank you for mentioning my book. Walter
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 09:54, magic maniac wrote:
MarkinMadison - If your looking for something 'pre-packaged', then Larry Becker's 'Sneak Thief'

Is this only available in his book stunners plus?

Thanks

Mark
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 22:47, MarkinMadison wrote:

I've recently had an idea that I wanted to start doing some mentalist type effects, but not so much as a mind reader but as someone who reads people really well. In other words, I want to emphasize my sales ability in divining things by understanding and reading people NOT reading their minds. (In other words, I "read" their facial expressions, inflections, body gestures, etc. - even though the effects are standard predictions or other mentalist effects)

I would really appreciate any direction, specifically in terms of books, dvds or effects that would be especially strong for the type of mentalism I want to perform.

Thanks in advance for any positive direction. As someone who used to be a very active performing amateur, I am looking to get back into magic 20 years later matching my current profession and lifestyle.

Im fairly new at magic and mentalism so take anything I say with a grain of salt. But I would go with Rebecca and Blackwood's comments. Any mentalism effect can be presented with the "Back Story" of a Body Language expert (kind of like a human lie detector). Have you read Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals?
Shamsiel
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
There are some good NLP books and courses that teach very well how to do cold readings based on facial expression, gestures and voice.

A practitioner’s course on NLP might be a good idea because it covers all the basics about reading people.

Giovanni.
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 08:39, bharris0225 wrote:
That sounds like a really good idea Funsway! I am in sales and have been tossing the idea around of mixing my sales skills along with my mentalism skills. Glad to see someone else does it too!

Tricky business, that. I have been in technology sales for 20+ years. I once attended a partner sales conference where a very highly regarded/famous professional speaker/magician/trade show worker provided a presentation. I was really excited and loved the lecture/presentation. A simple magic trick was taught, but overall this was a sales skills seminar.

While I thought it was great, the partner sales team did not respond very well. They felt mixing "magic and sales" was highly unprofessional. The manager that hired this speaker was fired a few weeks later. I would never perform magic/mentalism as part of a sales presentation due to this experience. I certainly don't want to be negative here, and I am sure it can be done and done very well, just be aware that this kind of thing can sometimes backfire on you. I wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do.
Brian
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
MarkinMadison - I gave away a book on the Café a year or so ago called "gonzovision" that has an effect in it called "whats your sign" - if you can find anyone who has a copy feel free to ask them to send you a copy (I sent out about a 100 copies on her). I don't actually have a copy anymore due to computer problems, but it might be of interest to you.

Best wishes
Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Banachek has some reading source books on his website that may suit your needs.

DC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advise for Mentalist Effects that "Read People" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL