The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Leaping Lizards Tarot and palmistry DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snm
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of snm
Hey guys, I am beginning to learn tarot and palmistry and would like your opinions on the best place to start. I've been trying to learn online and from a couple of books for some reason I'm having trouble. I've heard a lot of great feed back about the Leaping Lizards DVD's. Would these be the best place to start? Do they tackle the subject of making money with readings once you get good enough? Thanks in advance, guys. I greatly appreciate all your help.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Snm - Let me start with a disclaimer: I am one of the authors in the Leaping Lizards stable of creators, and Dean is a friend of mine. That being said, the reason that I so EASILY and QUICKLY decided to join the Leaping Lizards team is the obvious QUALITY of the content in their projects. I got my start delving into books, watching other readers at psychic fairs and in book stores, and, as many know, having a history of readers in my family (palmistry, Tarot cards, and crystal balls). My first Tarot deck was given to me when I was just starting out in school and I was fortunate to grow up in a home that fostered my intuition. I WISH I could have had access to the Leaping Lizards DVDs "back in the day." I have NO HESITATION telling you that there are GEMS to mine in Dean's material. I have always said that the instruction and recommendations that Dean provides for audience control/management, alone, are WORTH THE PRICE of the DVDs!

I do not, by the way, advocate only getting the DVDs. Rather, here are SOME written materials that you will find useful in your journey. There are many, many more texts that, I'm sure, others will be recommending to you, as well:

The Pictorial Guide to the Tarot
http://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-Tarot-Ar......6&sr=8-2

The Complete Guide to the Tarot
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Tar......0&sr=1-1

The Tarot Revealed
http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Revealed-Mod......0&sr=1-4

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Gu......0&sr=1-1

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Palmistry
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Gu......0&sr=1-5

Palmistry - The Whole View
http://www.amazon.com/Palmistry-Whole-Vi......1&sr=1-1

In my opinion, you just need to start exploring and enjoy the adventure. Find WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Discover what feels authentic to your style and personality. Ultimately, you will need to make a choice on how you want to be perceived and the types of messages you want to deliver. There is no wrong answer, here. Everyone has their own opinion about readers, and ethics, and entertaining. Do what feels right and you will get the success you deserve.

I also highly ENCOURAGE you to seek out the websites and blogs of those MENTORS that others look up to in the reading community. You have incredibly talented people like Dean, Enrique Enriquez, Tony Eye, Jerome Finley, and many, many more whom I did not mention (but DESERVE as much credit - so I'm sorry I did not name everyone I look up to) who KNOW A LOT and are willing to share with you. Most of us have taken years to carefully hone our prized craft and will share with you freely if we believe you are giving your adventure respect.

I trust this HELPS you make your decision to BUY THE DVDs and continue, in earnest, on your journey. All my best to you on what, I have no doubt, will be an eye-opening discovery. - Scott
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Tarot, Palmistry, Scrying, Pendulums ext; are all basically forms of Cold Reading. If one was to learn a system like Completely Cold by Kenton Knepper they would find themselves prepared to "read" a person with whatever tool the client found appealing in any situation. The key in using said tools is understanding their use as many clients are aware of there meanings and will walk away unsatisfied if specific references to the articles of divination are not made. In other words know what your talking about or they will bust you. I posted a simple palmistry reference elsewhere that's so simple even a child could learn it.
Check it out. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Lol

jd... I've never seen the phrase "learn a system" used so ironically.

dave
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I wrote a book that you might find interesting.

End of plug.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
PS Dave - you're not kidding
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Many tarot readers would take serious issue with JD. A good book that wasn't on Scott's list is Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. It is not exactly a beginners book but is not so far advanced that a serious student at the entry level would be out of his depth. It would be a good bridge between the simpler books and something more complicated like Scott's Masks of Tarot. I refer to each of these excellent books on a regular basis.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Please pardon the plug, but I think you may find my "Psychic Tarot" to be useful. Here is the way Chris Wasshuber describes it on Lybrary. (Link is the "Almost Complete Works" in my signature):

Quote:
In Appendix One of The Real Work of Cold Reading Bob included a cursory overview of a numerological system that could also be applied to the tarot or to regular playing cards. In The Psychic Tarot he has expanded on that and provided a detailed system of interpretation that will be accepted by those who have a general familiarity with the cards. As suggested in The Real Work of Cold Reading, the interpretations of the individual cards are derived - with the exception of the Major Arcana - by combining the general meanings assigned to the cards’ suits with the numerological meanings assigned to their values. This is not only simpler and more practical than the alternative approach of memorizing a specific interpretation for each card, but more flexible as well.

The Psychic Tarot is both a system and a method. It is presented as a cooperative effort between the you and the sitter, an approach that enables you to give unique and personalized readings from any layout of cards and eliminates the need for the obvious pumping too often employed by inexperienced or inexpert cold readers. Additionally, the presentation incorporates a method that bridges the gap between “cold” and “hot” reading by secretly providing you, before the reading begins, with specific information about the sitter’s area of interest.

Part One provides a detailed description of the correspondences that form the basis of The Psychic Tarot system. You should absorb and understand these thoroughly before moving on to the highly improvisational presentation described in Part Two.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Good thoughts,

Bob
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
A while back I was talking with a well-known stage hypnotist. Things were dragging a bit in that market and he wanted to learn palm reading. We talked about all of the works mentioned here on palm, and many more.

I later found out he was booking palm reading for parties (at fees I never dreamed of). I asked him of all the things we discussed what finally worked for him?

He said two things...first, the Cold Front flash cards sold by Doug Dyment (Richard Webster's script approach to readings). Second was the dvd's on palm reading put out by Leaping Lizards. The flash cards gave him great lines to use with every palmistry trait and the dvd's gave him an understanding of where these things come from and the ability to do great readings in his own words.

The Leaping Lizards palm dvd's also have a good section on making money with palm reading (as well as some other very interesting business ideas with readings).
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Devin Knight has some interesting stories about palm reading here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=159
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
100% agree with Mota choice on palmistry with Richard Webster, Doug Dyment and of cause The leaping lizards by Dean Montalbano!!!
Btw here is a link to resent interview with Enrique Enriquez and Dean Montalbano http://tarology.wordpress.com/
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
I find it interesting that people who are not magicians apparently don't or can't write books on palm reading.
james1a
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Here is the entire index of conversations that Enrique has compiled. You might recognize some names here:

http://tarology.wordpress.com/index-of-c......e-tarot/
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I second Doug Dyments 'Cold Front' for some great stock lines, and would add BevBev's E-books (either Speed Reading Palmistry or James Bond Cold Reading) to learn 'How' to give a reading.

Between both of these resources, your going to be giving readings in no time.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
In my many years of studying these two topics, I must give a plug to one of the contributors above and that's Scott Grossberg. His Bauta book/CD's as well as his The Masks of Tarot, also from Leaping Lizard, are for the more seasoned student, but have new perspectives on Tarot readings and his systems implementation for general readings that are worth their weight in very fine linen. He has a wonderful ticksheet/diagram in the back of Bauta called the Pocket Palm Reader that I have found indispensable.

Another book that I have only just discovered and find it quite good for the very beginner is Easy Tarot Guide by Marcia Masino. Surprisingly, I have not seen any reference made to it amongst most of the well known bibliographies on the subject. The book is well formatted and illustrated, using the Rider-Waite, and it has exercises for each step of the learning process. For someone just starting out, this would be an excellent addition to great tools such as Leaping Lizards Tarot and palmistry DVDs.
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Tarot-Guide-M......17086597

And not to miss another opportunity for a plug, lest we forget Dean's two books on Tarot and Palmistry that he helped Madame Gorgonzola publish, also from those Leaping Lizards:
Madame Gorgonzola's Palm Reading: Plain And Simple (of which I have and enjoyed immensely) and
Tarot With 'tude

Have fun, it will make the learning a lot easier!
Larry
snm
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of snm
Alright guys, so I've been studying and learning cartomancy to start with. John Wells has been super gracious in providing me with some excellent resources (Thanks again, John!) However, it seems I'm having trouble in the whole what to say department. It's been mostly this card means this and this means this. I'm wanting to give better more indepth readins. I've been trying to brush up on cold readings to add to my work. I've cheked out Kenton Knepper's Wonder Readings, and Richard Webster's Commercial Cold Reading. I thought hearing some readings would help. However, I'm still having trouble even after this. The words just don't come. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice? Thanks again!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Have readings done to you (visit other readers)
Take a class at a community college or adult education center
Look at pictures in a magazine and do a reading on them
Look at people you see and do a reading to yourself on them
Take Richard's advice and tell people you are just starting out, and do very small readings for them.
Watch the Leaping Lizard DVDs.
snm
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of snm
So in my studies thus far it seems that a lot of these readings are simply personality readings. I've been seeking more of giving readings with a specific question in mind or something like that and providing guidance or wisdoms to those questions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Leaping Lizards Tarot and palmistry DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL