The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » This set, that set, which set, best set? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I started with a crap set of cups and never did the trick. As soon as I upgraded to cups that were more interesting to me, I started practicing much more often and enjoyed the routine a whole lot more.

just some 411 to consider.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 17:50, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 13:26, Double O Magic wrote:
So I am hearing all this talk about fancy Sherwood Cups and all these expansive cups, but one question. I am just starting with the whole cups and balls business. I have just purchased full Tarbell's Course and I want to give this old game a try. If you were just starting, which set would you purchase first?

Thank you,

Double O

Before you do anything else, go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and read the part on the first page that tells you how to get a username and password. Follow those instructions. It won't cost you a cent. There you will find the largest collection of cups and balls in the world.

The cups on that web site range from cups you can pick up at Starbucks for nothing to the most elaborate cups that have ever been manufactured.

You don't need Sherwoods when you start. Howvever, you do need a decent set of cups.

Here's an analogy. If you had a six year old kid who wanted to learn to play the violin, would you buy him a Stradivarius, a reasonably priced beginner's violin that had been set up properly or a $100 fiddle from Sportsman's Guide?

Just sent the email.

Looking forward to look through this awesome resource!

Thank you,

Double O
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 18:49, Double O Magic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I am hearing all this talk about fancy Sherwood Cups and all these expansive cups, but one question. I am just starting with the whole cups and balls business. I have just purchased full Tarbell's Course and I want to give this old game a try. If you were just starting, which set would you purchase first?

Thank you,

Double O

Before you do anything else, go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and read the part on the first page that tells you how to get a username and password. Follow those instructions. It won't cost you a cent. There you will find the largest collection of cups and balls in the world.

The cups on that web site range from cups you can pick up at Starbucks for nothing to the most elaborate cups that have ever been manufactured.

You don't need Sherwoods when you start. Howvever, you do need a decent set of cups.

Here's an analogy. If you had a six year old kid who wanted to learn to play the violin, would you buy him a Stradivarius, a reasonably priced beginner's violin that had been set up properly or a $100 fiddle from Sportsman's Guide?

Just sent the email.

Thank you,

Double O

Be prepared to spend quite a significant amount of time there.. Smile
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 18:49, Double O Magic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Double O

Just sent the email.

Thank you,

Double O

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. When you see the announcement about what my wife gave me for Christmas, you will understand. I just had to assemble more shelving.

The lady at IKEA told me that the Billy bookshelf is 30 years old this month. They have sold enough of these to go around the world three times. I have been a regular contributor to the sales of that line!

BTW, Yin Howe is right. When you enter the museum the first time, bring a lunch and a beverage. I've added about 50 cups that are not on the regular pages yet, but are in the database.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I just checked out the website. I thought I was just browsing but I ended up spending about 45 minutes on there! Thanks, that website is great! It was so interesting to really see the HUGE variety of cups, balls, and wands.

BTW, I was really surprised actually to get an answer this fast. The holidays seem to slow EVERYTHING down.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Usually, you will get an answer in about a half hour.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 00:24, Double O Magic wrote:
I just checked out the website. I thought I was just browsing but I ended up spending about 45 minutes on there! Thanks, that website is great! It was so interesting to really see the HUGE variety of cups, balls, and wands.

BTW, I was really surprised actually to get an answer this fast. The holidays seem to slow EVERYTHING down.

Only 45 mins?!
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Once again, just browsing Smile
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Tupperware children's drink cups are a great starter set, Not bad weight for plastic and great attic space. Very cheap.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, as for me, I'm headin' for World Market... Thanks, Dale...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 18:38, Frank Starsini wrote:
I started with a crap set of cups and never did the trick. As soon as I upgraded to cups that were more interesting to me, I started practicing much more often and enjoyed the routine a whole lot more.

just some 411 to consider.

I'm with Frank on this one. The first two sets of cups I ever purchased were nothing like I had anticipated... Didn't work on learning a routine because I found the cups so disappointing. After getting my first set of 'real' cups, I was hooked and actually enjoyed practicing much more.

While I agree that the magic is not in the cups, if you view your props as tools, then IMO it is definitely better to have good equipment with which to work.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a parallel to this in the world of music. It's a matter of perceived worth, not only regarding the tools, but the workman.

Back during the days that I was a banjo player at a major pizza parlor chain, there was a big shortage of decent banjo players in town. A friend of mine had been playing for a couple of years, not professionally, but he was a competent amateur.

He would sit in with us from time to time. He had a terrible lack of self confidence. Then one day, we offered him a job. We explained that we were a union band, so he would need to get a union card. That's a big deal for an amateur musician. But once he had that card in his pocket, he was a REAL musician.

That night, when he came to play for hire, he tuned his banjo a bit more precisely. He played more smoothly. He didn't make a bunch of mistakes. He was a better banjo player, just because he had the card.

Of course, it was psychological.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I bought a cheap set of copper cups online and they seem ok. You can whack the top without denting them. I went cheap because I wasn't sure it was for me. Now I'm dying to handle a really good quality set to feel the difference.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 03:15, seangiles wrote:
I bought a cheap set of copper cups online and they seem ok. You can whack the top without denting them. I went cheap because I wasn't sure it was for me. Now I'm dying to handle a really good quality set to feel the difference.

Sean, I might have you confused with someone else, but I think I sold you a set of RNT2 Monti copper cups on the big auction site. If you're talking about Monti cups, Montis were my first set of cups as well and still one of my favorites. By contemporary standards, they are a bit behind times because they won't hold a tennis ball size load, but they're a great set of cups. I had the honor of sitting next to Harry Monti at a magic convention in Eureka Springs, AR about 10 years ago. He was/is a real gentleman. Of course I have no idea if Harry Monti really used Monti cups or not, but I know that he had one of the rare sets of silver/gold plated Monti cups that I foolishly tried to buy from him that night. For that reason, I hope he doesn't remember me, but I'll always remember him and his performance that night.

The original Rings 'N Things cups put some good quality cups in the hands of many who could not find or afford the Paul Fox cups. While I have many sets of cups now, the Monti's will always hold a place in my heart.
Magic is where you find it.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » This set, that set, which set, best set? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL