The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Key bending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Whenever I have done key bending,I have let the spectators examine the key. I'm being told that is the wrong way to do it,the key should not be examined nor should there be any desire for anyone to want to examine it.

I'm simply asking one question,not for methods, presentations,how great you are at spectator management,etc.

When you do key bending,do you let the spectators examine the key?

Thanks,
Mike
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well yes its usually their key. I only do it very very occasionally and impromtu.
redheadjuggler
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of redheadjuggler
I always have them looked at, handled and yes, even examined. Depending on your methods, there is nothing to hide, so let them look. Personally, I employ the techniques taught by Banachek. Who told you not to have them inspected?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Woah woah woah...

I had to come back to clarify, because Michael seems to have misunderstood what I said - I was talking about within certain contexts, my example was that you ask for people to bring along some old keys they have no use for...they are put in a bowl for later on...

when you come to use the keys, you add a couple of your own that are far easier to "manipulate"...

does this ring any bells with you that bend spoons?

my question would be - how many people do you know carry around spare keys they have no use for? I've never met any to be honest with you...

this is the exact same thing, substitute the word spoon for key...

so no, as I had indirectly proven the keys are all nice and straight and solid (by non-verbal means) I don't need them to be examined/tested out again afterwards...

especially as I have not touched them since placing them in individual envelopes/containers...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mp - I had, and have...but I couldn't let things be misrepresented...

I pm'd Michael explaining the context of those easy bend keys in the other thread, I said to him I find him a bit aggressive when there was no reason to...he got a bit snotty, so I returned the favour...

it was obviously pure co-incidence that Michael started this thread directly after our interchange...my point was that he was talking about specific handlings and presentations... in the review I gave after buying the keys, I mentioned a brief routine where the need to prove twice that the keys are kosher (before and after) is not really needed...

but as usual here, its all gotten a bit messy and silly... I happened to tell Michael I thought he was aggressive and arrogant in his responses to me via pm, and it basically went from there...
I've asked to be banned
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Iian,you think this is based on me misunderstanding what you said? Sorry, but it's not.

You are not the only one I have been having been having lovely private discussions with Smile

Snotty, aggressive, arrogant?
You wrote to me to tell me your opinions on key bending like I asked for them.

I was also returning the favor Smile

I thought the question was quite clear-

[quote]On 2010-12-28 17:03, Michael Peterson wrote:

I'm simply asking one question,not for methods, presentations,how great you are at spectator management,etc.

Thanks,
Mike
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Welcome back Iaian lol
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, then to answer you...

in some contexts - yes, in others...no...

if you do it someone's hands, then of course you would...

but sometimes, say if you had people bring along their old keys (in say, an after dinner party setting) all thrown into a bowl (not in a swingers way) - then you can happily add some "massaged" keys to the mix...just like you can with other types of bending...

you could select say 5 keys, and indirectly prove they are solid and straight very easily (for example - tapping them individually on the table and clearly displaying each key before placing them into an individual envelope)

everyone links hands, focussing on one envelope - chanting "BEND! BEND!", someone opens the envelope (not you) and tips out the key...which is bent...

so, sometimes - yes you would... other times, dependant on presentation - no you wouldnt...

that's my opinion...EDIT - at no point did I give Michael any rules on key bending...

by the way - thanks fellas for the pm's, first time I'd dipped into my inbox since leaving - back to "leaving" again now...see ya around...
I've asked to be banned
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Excellent,thank you Iian.

Thank you for the response & lively debate,sorry your "leaving" again. I do hope you will still pop in from time to time and share with us all.

I do like the routine you described,it sounds really good.

Take care,
Mike
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2010-12-28 17:03, Michael Peterson wrote:
Whenever I have done key bending,I have let the spectators examine the key. I'm being told that is the wrong way to do it,the key should not be examined nor should there be any desire for anyone to want to examine it.

Thanks,
Mike

Sometimes. It depends on why I'm bending the object (refers to spoons, nails, coins, keys, whatever is bent).

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'll say it anyway:
It depends on the performance situation.

If it is being done is a casual non-performance situation, sometimes. Sometimes I bend object to occupy myself (and possibly get a little attention).

If it is in a performance situation, they will normally have contact with the item, not for examination, who needs to examine a coin, key, or spoon?

If on stage, depends on the act. Sometimes being on stage alone is preferable.

Tony
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Michael, I think there is a difference between letting people examine them and needing to let them examine them because they demand it.

If they're giving you keys, it would be nonsensical to have them examine the keys they've had and used for years. If you bring all of the keys, you should handle them so that nothing implies they need examination. If someone has a need to examine them, you should make sure that the keys they examine are not gaffed.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-28 18:20, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'll say it anyway:
It depends on the performance situation.

Tony

Why wouldn't I want to hear that?

I of course understand that it depends on the performance situation.

I was told by others that when they do key bending,they do it in such a way that the people watching have no desire to examine the key that has been bent.

If I bend a key, people want to see it & I let them.Thats how I do it & others may not,which is fine.

Quote:
On 2010-12-28 18:22, dmkraig wrote:
If someone has a need to examine them, you should make sure that the keys they examine are not gaffed.

Thanks for the advice Smile

Mike
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I believe that if you're bending keys/coins it would be natural for the specs to want to examine the keys.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Key bending (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL