The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card thru bolt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
This looks pretty impressive, and all the parts are examinable before and after. Does anyone have this, and what's your assessment of it? Thanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDD51mjrag0
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Magicbob's "In Over His Head" from his "I Hate Card Tricks" Book 2 (on my site) has an additional advantage... at the end, you can give all the props to the spectator to take home, if you wish. It's just three cards and a bolt, so for the publicity and "wow!" factor, it's worth it. You don't HAVE to give it away, but you can. Otherwise, the effect is essentially the same with some patter relating the escaping card to Houdini and some "Under Water" business.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
OK, so I bit the bullet and bought the Card Through Bolt. It's actually quite clever and fairly easy to do - requires minimal practice. I also bought "In Over His Head", which is almost identical, but the work involved in making the props wasn't worth it. CTB also comes with an instructional CD that visually demonstrates the trick step-by-step, so I'm voting for that one.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
299 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
OK I know its an old trick, but I like the promo video of the Card thru Bolt. PLease before I buy this, can someone please answer me honestly, Can you REALLY hand out the nut and bolt, the 3 cards for examination as that is what the descriptions say... However, I did buy a similar trick that said the same, but actually you had to switch the bolt for a genuine one. If you can answer my question about ALL items closely examined that would help, or if you prefer PM
many thanks
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Markeymark, I have the version of card thru bolt from Kreis magic... is that the one you already had?
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I believe it probably is because mine came with a gimmicked bolt and a regular bolt.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Magicbob's version requires no gimmicked nut or bolt or washer. You get the nut, bolt and washer from any hardware store. As far as the "hard work" of making the effect from any old playing cards, it involves measuring and cutting holes in the cards using a drafter's hole template from Staples or any stationary store. How hard can it be?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
The original effect in this thread resembles an effect released in 2011 called Hole Surprise. Hole surprise adds two features: The card can be signed and it's a moving hole effect. I don't have Magicbob's version but it would be interesting to know if a signed card can be used. Looks cool though.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Vlad_77 would you know id the effect you mention is still available?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 07:47, Vlad_77 wrote:
I don't have Magicbob's version but it would be interesting to know if a signed card can be used. Looks cool though.

Yes, in Magicbob's version the card can be signed as long as you are giving it away. It means preparing replacement cards for the effect, but that's relatively easy once you have learned how to cut a hole in a card. With a drill, you could make lots of replacement cards all at one time.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 07:56, AnthonyJD wrote:
Vlad_77 would you know id the effect you mention is still available?

Hi AnthonyJD,

The creator is Shinpei Ogawa, and yes it is still available. I think I ordered mine from SEO Magic, but, I am pretty certain it is available from Penguin as well as other shops. It comes with a hole puncher and everything else you need. It's a strong effect and the "proofs" during the effect really lock in the illusion.

The only caveat to the effect is that you would want to save it in a walkaround situation for a special table. The prep is easy but cannot be done on the fly. You need two minutes and in a restaurant situation that can get to be a bit dodgy. For so called street magic of course, it's a different story.

Again, not being familiar with the other effect, I cannot comment on apparent strengths and challenges of each. But, from the description of the other effect, one thing that seems to be in favor for Shinpei Ogawa's effect is that all you need is the included and non-gaffed hole puncher and the other extras supplied. The signed card is ALWAYS given out for examination and in fact is not gaffed. The hole puncher is included because it is precisely the right size to punch the hole cleanly in the exact spot every time.

The other extras are extremely well made. I like to to this as a sort of "challenge" three card monte effect.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Thanks Vlad_77 I just found it on Penguin's site. P M ed you .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card thru bolt (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL