The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleight of Hand vs. Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I allways say lurn your sleight of hand frist!!! You Never know when you will need to switch in a Gimmick!:)
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 17:41, Hare wrote:
Hm.

The advice that a combination of sleight and gaff, or, use a gaff if it works better for you is only good advice, in my opinion, if you are an old and experianced Sleight of Hand user.

If the person in question is a novice, then this, I think, is terrible advice, because they don't have much in the way of developed skills. All gaffs are basically better than they can do sleights. It sets a horrible precedent, and I don't see most posters stating this. How many readers on these pages are young and starting out?

Very well said! True, true.

Quote:
...Learning to write the letter W by hand strikes the five-year-old as a formidable task. He can do it much more easily by finding the right key on a typewriter and punching it.

But if he does that, he will learn neither to write nor to typewrite.

Unfortunately many school children aren't even taught to write anymore! Two of my granddaughters who live nearby were not taught to write longhand in school; the school system no longer teaches it - only printing. My daughters taught them penmanship at home because they felt it important, and I agree. Really weird when you think of all the things we know that current and future generations never will!

Thanks!

Jim
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
You got to be kidding me I heard they were thinking of taking out longhand from the education system. Never thought it would acctually happen though. That is horrible in taking the time to learn that instead of quickly pressing keys you simultaniously learn proper grammer. In quickly keying things you don't have a chance to think as much and can very easily make mistakes. Thus so many typo on this website and many other blogging sites.
Jeremy Gates
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
"It doesn't matter what you think is best. Its what LOOKS BEST in PERFORMANCE." Ryan Bliss

Says it all.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Perhaps the focus should be what kind of magic effects will be appreciated by younger age cohorts trained in the "quick fix" mentality. Many gaffs allow for suprise approaches over a more anticipitory appraoch as sleights. While a combination of the two is ideal, perhaps the balance has shifted. Mb demonstates how the "flash" appraoch can work without sleights, but many are not willing to put in the work -- magicians also desiring a quick fix.

In the other hand, when my arthritus and wrist problems prevented me from doing many sleights I ustacould, discovery of the TUC led to developing new sleights, moves, effects and finally the book "T.U.C. Appreciation." But without the encouragement of Marion and Tim Feher to attempt sleight again it never would have happened.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Sleight-of-Hand vs The Gimmick...almost sounds like a WWE match-up.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks funsway for your good and kind words and you are as much a real inspiration to me. Smile

And believe it or not I've just come up with an amazing way to present that "Flash". Smile. Just some deeper thinking upon some things from Bobo and Mickey Silver I seem to remember, looks amazing...A cross between misdirection and moving a mental object.

I don't know, it's just a small thing but then again so is a diamond I guess. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My motto let your hands be the gimmick,
however a gimmick and slight used together is the best of both worlds
vinny
ps I hate gimmicks
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
While I tend to scold about making sure younger magician's learn sleight of hand first, I actually love gimmicks...as far as owning and playing with the things. They are tempting, they are fun. You can make magic also collecting hobby by buying the stuff, and certainly a well place gimmick in a clever magician's hands can take a piece of simple sleight of hand, and add immeasurably and make it seem more magic.

But, one needs the maturity of experiance- that previous saturation in Sleight-of-Hand in order to put the props into the perspective that they belong.

I just remember my own start into magic. I was lucky. I somehow got ahold of Ganson's Finale book, a copy of Tarbell #1 and a battered copy of The Amateur Magician's Handbook BEFORE my first props. I was maybe 10 or 11. This is what I attribute to my love for magic. If I had gotten the Funder Box, a Penetration Frame and Milk Pitcher tricks first,(I got them for Christmas a year or two later courtesy of kindly Mack Picknik in collusion with my parents), I might have gotten into that unfortunate frame of mind that tricks are easy to do, require minimal practice to clumsily fool people with. I would quickly have grown bored with the quick fix, and never had the sense of accomplishment and the real skills that Sleight-of-Hand gives a person.

The quick-fixers are much, much less likely to ever become permament magicians if not exposed first to the rewarding manipulation branch of the art. There are those people who have loads of natural charisma who don't NEED to use sleight-of-hand, who are born illusionists that are suited better to the stage and big, showly tricks...but they should discover this AFTER passing through the realm of hands magic.

Hand Magic should be a sort of test by fire, a Boot Camp of magic that shows you the rewards of discipline and that practice can be fun and never work. These basic principles never hurt a blooming magician. A young person is more likely to be driven from the field by boredom at easy, self working tricks that appalled by the awful difficulties of the holds and passes needed for basic sleight-of-hand.

My opinions, of course.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 19:07, David Neighbors wrote:
I allways say lurn your sleight of hand first!!! You Never know when you will need to switch in a Gimmick!:)

That is just what I was thinking. But I love my gimmicked coins.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Then lurn some Sleight of hand to go with them! A comb. of both is hard to beat! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst I agree with the experts that sleight of hand combined with gimmicks can and does kill when ever I'm working I'm almost always gimmick free as I feel safer and more comfortable with sleight of hand.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea you just have to know not just HOW to use a gimmick, BUT WHEN--- to use a gimmick! you just need some lurn some Add. Management skills. and have NO SHAME!!! But that will come with time! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-03-14 09:59, David Neighbors wrote:
Then lurn some Sleight of hand to go with them! A comb. of both is hard to beat! Smile

:jump:
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
What a great thread this turned into! Lots of good advice.
Thanks to all
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleight of Hand vs. Gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL