The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best languages for various purposes? (Cursing, romance, etc.) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 10:04, critter wrote:
And re: eff word- There was a documentary on it by a bunch of comedians. Similar to "The Aristocrats."
I loved "The Aristocrats". It's amazing that a mime has one of the filthier versions of that joke. Yes- English is probably one of the better languages for profanity.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
English must be the best, because when another country doesn't think thier words are dirty enough they just use our eff word!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
This reminds me of a friend who is a native Russian speaker. He's been here for decades, but he still speaks Russian at home. He found some episodes of South Park translated in Russian on the web. In Boris's words "it was disgusting". The interesting thing is that he found the translation to be very faithful, but the words bothered him much more in his mother tongue than they ever could in English.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
There are situations in which I hear the English eff word here in totally inappropriate places. There was cover of "Living Next Door to Alice" that was a HUGE hit in Europe, and I've heard it played or sung everywhere from the Christmas Market to bowling allies to family-oriented festivals. You can read about it at Wikipedia as the Gompie version. It's crazy to hear a crowd of 1,000 people or more shouting "who the eff is Alice" while holding toddlers in their arms. If you were to do the exact same thing using the German eff word you'd probably get arrested.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Stone- that's a good point, and an interesting observation about profanity. "Foreign" curse words aren't profane. Maybe it's because our understanding of what constitutes a profane word is cultural? The German S-word doesn't have the same emotional impact to an English speaker- and Americans use the term "bloody" pretty much freely, while I understand it's a bit more profane to the British. Then again, the Brits use the C-word frequently in cursing, while in America, it's considered extremely offensive and profane, and I rarely hear it used.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 11:20, stoneunhinged wrote:
There are situations in which I hear the English eff word here in totally inappropriate places. There was cover of "Living Next Door to Alice" that was a HUGE hit in Europe, and I've heard it played or sung everywhere from the Christmas Market to bowling allies to family-oriented festivals. You can read about it at Wikipedia as the Gompie version. It's crazy to hear a crowd of 1,000 people or more shouting "who the eff is Alice" while holding toddlers in their arms. If you were to do the exact same thing using the German eff word you'd probably get arrested.

What a GREAT party song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I saw smokie live in South Africa and we got to the pub where they played early. The guys came out, did a sound check and then asked if we had any requests. Wise ass said "ACDC - thunderstruck" They played a little of it and then another guy said "Sinatra's My way" They did that too. It was the best 30 minutes of music I had ever had. Then they left, the place filled up and we were entertained to classisc for a while.
Love the band and I always say/shout the famous phrase.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 05:49, abc wrote:

Love the band and I always say/shout the famous phrase.

But surely not while you're holding that sweet little kid of yours. Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Totally of the point. We got him to say OK but he doesn't get it yet.
So here is the conversation we had with him until his grandmother seriously addressed my wife and I.
Let's go home......OK
Then we take a bath .......OK
Then you can eat the dogs poo.....OK
Mommy and daddy laugh histerically and he gets so excited because he is the centre of attention. Obviously this is in Chinese which is pronounced Hao sounding like "How"
Holding him I probably would say it but I might change the F to hell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best languages for various purposes? (Cursing, romance, etc.) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL