The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Question About Pen Through Anything Pens (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
A friend let me borrow his Perfect Pen Through Anything which has a VERY strong m****t. As such, I was wondering if it was safe to store it in my pocket with my credit cards?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I've never had an issue...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wouldn't risk it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The magnetic field only goes out so far. I'd test it with something light like a straight pin and see how far out the field goes. Keep the cards outside of the field.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
If you're putting it in the same pocket as your credit cards, kiss those cards goodbye. I've had that happen once already. But if you keep them in two separate pockets it's no problem. Just don't do a pen through spectator's credit card, unless you like to be a jerk.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Thanks to all the replies. As per MagicJuggler's reply, I'll be keeping the pen far from my wallet and DVDs.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I don't know about DVD's, but I did have an issue with a credit card and a pen-thru-anything way back in the day. I went to the bank and they were able to quickly reset things. Modern day credit cards may be more resilient, but I don't have any burning desire to find out. I find it interesting, however, that I keep a set of magnetic coins in the same pocket as my wallet (containing my credit card) and so far I've had no problems.

Best,
MJ
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Caution is in order here for sure. I have a different pen that uses same principle and I have to be careful.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've heard that magnets don't effect credit cards. I think they tested it on Myth Busters.

Personally, I don't know.

-Mary Mowder
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Timing is everything!

Apparently the exposure time is the key. Therefore, a brief encounter of a magnet (e.g. pen-thru-anything) with a credit card is alright; while carrying a pen-thru-anything in the same pocket as your wallet day in and day out is probably a bad idea.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-n......1457.php

-MJ
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Oh, don't worry about DVDs, they won't be erased by a magnet as the old VHS tapes would. The information on a DVD is stored much like on an old 78rpm record, except instead of a spiral groove it's comprised of little divots that are read by a laser. They are burned onto a thin layer of aluminum that's just under the label of the DVD and read through the layer of plastic, which is why you can get scratches on the DVD and it can be repaired and the information is still intact, but if you get a scratch on the label side the DVD is toast.
The little strip on the back of a credit card is electromagnetic, so it can be affected by strong magnetism, your refrigerator magnets won't kill it, but a much stronger magnet can and will if kept in contact for a length of time.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Question About Pen Through Anything Pens (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL