The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Why on Earth???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 21:42, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 21:09, BYUDAD wrote:
Al,

I meant no offense to you in the post above. I don't share private info on a public thread.

Patrick

I understand not wanting to share private info on public boards, but if I had to guess you live in the same state as BYU? If that is the mantra then change the name. Smile Just giving you a hard time Patrick. I am joking around.

LOL! I am not in Utah. My name was made by my 5 year old and I can't change it. She meant to write "by dad" unfortunately the 'U' is right by the 'Y' and now I am stuck with it. Believe me I am the opposite of those that go to BYU. LOL!

Quote:
On 2011-01-08 22:04, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 15:04, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
You know, the $50 and the $150 dollar kid show magicians ...

Oh, if your including $150 magicians then I guess that's me.
I don't do many birthday's (I'll be doing more this year ...resolution #2), but I usually do them for $200, and will do them for $150 if they are in the same city as me.
Similarly I hope to do a lot of preschools/daycares this year (resolution #1) and I have no problem doing them for $100-$150 per show since they are fun and often in the mornings on weekdays.
I have a part-time job that pays my share of the bills and my wife's and my full-time job is raising two girls; shows help a lot and I'd like to eventually do them full time, but right now I'm more than happy to do them for $150 or $200 if I'm not doing anything else.

Good luck on your resolutions. I wish you a very properous year.

Patrick
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Classic. Kids you just have to love them. Well with a story like that you shouldn't change the name, but if I am not mistaken you can request a name change to a moderator and they can change it? I've seen others here change their names.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Sweet. I will do that. thanks for the info.

Patrick
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
It's always the amateurs who undercut the professionals. It's true in pretty much all walks of life...not just magic.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 23:33, Christopher Lyle wrote:
It's always the amateurs who undercut the professionals. It's true in pretty much all walks of life...not just magic.

LOL! Do you shop at WalMart? They do the same thing. You don't have to. You can go to Kohls or other stores. This is the same as the paying public. There are many choices out there in all walks of life. I have stated my reasons and I can sleep well at night with it.

Chris,

Do you really think that you are getting shows stolen from you? You are too good to worry about amateurs. Good luck to you my friend. Next time I am in Dallas I will contact you. We can get a beer.

Patrick
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 01:01, BYUDAD wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 23:33, Christopher Lyle wrote:

LOL! Do you shop at WalMart? They do the same thing. You don't have to. You can go to Kohls or other stores. This is the same as the paying public. There are many choices out there in all walks of life. I have stated my reasons and I can sleep well at night with it.

Chris,

Do you really think that you are getting shows stolen from you? You are too good to worry about amateurs. Good luck to you my friend. Next time I am in Dallas I will contact you. We can get a beer.

Patrick

No...I don't think that I'm getting anything stolen from me. I was making a generalized statement.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
A view from England now.

It is around 7 am Sunday morning here. Yesterday and today we have bookings that convert to just over $233 USD (two hour parties / breaking after 45 minutes whilst the kids eat). We 've been doing these since Jimmy Carter was your President and before Margaret Thatcher was our Prime Minister!

Now if we'd had been able to raise our fees on an annual basis from what we charged way back then we would be on around $342 a session now. But so many people came into the business in those subsequent years and so many were prepared to just charge what they were "comfortable" with. Or they initially started "cheap" and then found they had trapped themselves into a never ending circle of cheapness.

The same Customers can be sustained to a certain degree over the years (i.e. big families that keep coming back), but new business would never, ever pay this amount of money. Simple Market Forces have dictated what we can sustain a steady flow of business with, - what fees are acceptable.

If anyone who was a really good entertainer came into our area and started undercutting us considerably we'd be scratching our heads and wondering if they had all their slates present on their roof!! (if they were nuts) however.

Tony
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
There will always be "prop kids" and there will always be "Simply GREAT Part Time Magicians." To be utterly blunt: some of the finest magic I have seen came from people who didn't do it for a living...they just did it for the love of it.

In my neck of the woods there are a LOT of low-priced performers. It's been my experience that some parents, who are looking to simply book "somebody" for the kids show make their decisions based on price alone. And that's their choice. They have no terms of reference. A kid in blue jeans is the same as David Ginn as far as they are concerned.

Yes. As someone who makes his living with magic, I know I've lost some sales. After all -- I do birthdays for $225, and there's someone else doing them for $75. Who do you think the dad is gonna chose?

On the other hand, though: how does it profit me to look over my shoulder at the other performers competing for the show? I am never going to lower my price to those levels -- so what purpose does worrying about them serve? Nada. It's a waste of time and energy.

I've often thought too many entertainers (not just magicians) spend too much time focussed on what the other guy is doing.

Who cares?

I prefer to work on my own act...make it better and better. That's my job. Not worrying about the other guy.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
It's the guy who does a $50 show and charges $200 that I don't like. Even though he might be somewhat entertaining, people that might have considered hiring a magician don't hire one after seeing their show. There are several magicians in my area like this. I've had numerous people come up to me after my show and told me they saw so and so and I'm so much better.
I try to do a $500 show for $200.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
You think that's cheap - there is a couple down my road that do full clown shows, in full makeup (both of them) that go out at £40.
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I would bet its young guy just starting out. $50 for an hours worth of work may seem like a lot to him, especially if he is use to earn $8 or $9 an hour doing a "regular job".
- C
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 07:15, wizardpa wrote:
It's the guy who does a $50 show and charges $200 that I don't like. Even though he might be somewhat entertaining, people that might have considered hiring a magician don't hire one after seeing their show. There are several magicians in my area like this. I've had numerous people come up to me after my show and told me they saw so and so and I'm so much better.
I try to do a $500 show for $200.

That's a splendid attitude.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 22:43, David Thiel wrote:
I've often thought too many entertainers (not just magicians) spend too much time focused on what the other guy is doing.

Who cares?

I prefer to work on my own act...make it better and better. That's my job. Not worrying about the other guy.

David

That’s pretty much my attitude as well. Sure, as a smart business person it good to be aware of what’s going on, but why should I worry about it or adjust my strategy. I know what my act is worth and what I need to do to feed my family and pay my bills.

More common is the magician who charges more than they’re worth because of their pride. On several occasions I found that the magicians who like to brag about how much money they make per hour or per show, are lying!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I have a student who charges very little because he is young and only has a few shows under his belt. $50 for his show is probably about right for what he offers and is good money for him at age 12. I'd rather magicians whose show is at the $50 level charge $50 instead of $200.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Why on Earth???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL