The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The aim of a magic/mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Does a mentalist have a different aim to that of a magician?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
It depends on the mentalist.

Brian Flora once said, "A lot of guys do it because they want to entertain people. I think that's great. A lot of people get into it because they want to manipulate and control people. I think that bites."
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Magicians by their very nature have steadier hands,

Mentalists though have headier plans.
ars est celare artem
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
@Mind Guerilla:

Hilariously enough, I did the opposite; got into it for entertainment, but now like using it to manipulate and control people. Go figure.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I think mentalist want to entertain but they want you to believe as well.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
To distract us from the reality of ever-present death, looming at any second...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
To answer the question I'd say some. Just as some magicians want their spectators to believe/at least question and others want them to understand it's merely entertainment, the same goes with mentalists, just with more mentalists leaning towards the belief/possibly real side with more magicians leaning to the entertainment side. I say this after reading Hiding the Elephant; a good many of those magicians wanted their spectators to think they were doing the real thing, or at least question the limits of reality.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I try to entertain and mystify my audience, whether magic, mentalism or mental magic. I am all about creating a sense of awe and wonder no matter what subset of the magical arts I am performing.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Paying the bills. Smile

I actually love the feeling of being entertained myself seeing the audience being entertained and amazed watching me perform.

You ever get that?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 22:19, Dr Spektor wrote:
To distract us from the reality of ever-present death, looming at any second...

Dr Spektor, quite a Western perspective my friend. The Yellow King has told me that life is just in between stage, I will send you the parchment soon that will explain to you the reflection of the "in between of life and death" and the liberation from.

-W
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
One who would use the craft for the manipulation of others is comparable to Jim Jones who indeed used psychic surgery to convince his followers that he was God. Something to think about when reading posts.

Bobby I've never seen your act but I'm sure I would enjoy it. You just have that Bill Malone quality to you. I just can't help bu like the guy.

isidOre, If they have endowed you with wisdom of that which is but isn't and lives but dies, please share to with me, that I may wake from the sleep that is my ignorance.

Peace.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The aim of a magic/mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL