The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pad size for coin matrix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Hi everyone

Hopefully this is not an old topic. I searched around the Café, but most of the topics pertained to general magic.

I didn't find too much on sizes, more specifically coin matrix/shadow coin routines.

I'm not going to be using this pad for table hopping or anything. Just something that I can practice the matrix on something proper.
I'm actually practicing a specific routine of Hayashi's:
http://bitURL.net/azhm

I'm not entirely sure what the size Hayashi is using, looking at Murphy's either 10.5 inches x 15.5 inches or 16 inches x 23 inches.
This is one of those times I wished I owned a ruler doi.

Any suggestions?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The farther the coins are apart the better.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
They used to sell a pad by johnson, and a pad by sterling, that were the right dimensions for my work. Not too big, not too small. I would guesstimate them to be a bit bigger than a standard laptop.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to get as big as I can without going overboard.
I thought 40cm x 58cm would be best, but I guess I'll find out when it arrive Smile
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I just picked up a 23 x 16 VDF mat from Penguin for $12.75. I don't know how it will last over time, but I've spent more for much less in the past. It has all the right properties for the matrix/assembly routines I do. It's spongey enough for pickups and it seems to work fine for any sliding moves. I just got it and have not spent a lot of time with it, but I have run through the routines I do and it seems like it will do the trick. Price is tough to beat too!
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 16:37, tntjr wrote:
I just picked up a 23 x 16 VDF mat from Penguin for $12.75. I don't know how it will last over time, but I've spent more for much less in the past. It has all the right properties for the matrix/assembly routines I do. It's spongey enough for pickups and it seems to work fine for any sliding moves. I just got it and have not spent a lot of time with it, but I have run through the routines I do and it seems like it will do the trick. Price is tough to beat too!

That's the one I ordered as well. I'm glad that it's the right size Smile
Excited to receive it now.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
What about performing it in reversed T formation (initially one coin towards them, and three on your side and ultimately all four on the audience's side)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 13:49, Lawrence O wrote:
What about performing it in reversed T formation (initially one coin towards them, and three on your side and ultimately all four on the audience's side)

That could be really nice for certain routines.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I like the sound of that, but somehow struggling to think of how it would be an improvement...
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 00:15, rutabaga wrote:
I like the sound of that, but somehow struggling to think of how it would be an improvement...

Some routines require your hands to cross over to the other side. With the reverse T, either hand can move to the "magic corner" without crossing over. Also, there may be a slight improvement in clarity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pad size for coin matrix (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL