The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Cannibal jokers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I guess this could be listed under gaffed and funky, but is also a packet trick.

Haven't been around awhile, been working on improving my sleights and wittled my repitior down to a few tricks. I saw this trick on youtube from a gentlman that gives tutorials on some fairly simple tricks. I like the idea of it (I don't use blanks for the end, but something else) and was wondering if anyone knew of any material else where with a better handling (I just don't like the that you put a joker down with no real reason in patter, and then it's back in your hand).

Below is the link, as stated I like the effect, but it doesn't seem as strong as it could be (I like what is refered to as bizzare patters and such). Instead of blanks (I bought the ghost gaff deck a while back) always I use the skull kings. I'm aware of cannible kings, and I've seen people use these kings in place of them, but cannible kings isn't an effect for me (I just don't feel I preform it strongly enough, and the story is more light than what I prefer).

As always, thanks for the input!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%......lpXPGEH8
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I think there's something wrong with the link; or I'm missing something.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Sorry, I believe the trick is also called "the hole" from the gentlmans description. If you go onto youtube and search for it, it should be there (I posted it with my droid, so it's possible it's a mobile link).

I may have thought of a decent patter change that gives reason for what I was refeing to. I'll play around with it and let you know. Would still love to hear thoughts and other possible sources.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Well, the idea is interesting but I hate the patter he's using. There's also a couple discrepancies in the trick that need to be dealt with, in particular where he makes a king disappear, leaving four cards, then laying down a card, and immediately counting four cards again where there should be three. His handling of the trick is a bit contrived and unnatural. The idea has good possibilities, but myself, I would have to reconstruct the routine from the ground up and totally rewrite the patter so it makes sense in the context of the trick.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I am working with a more comical approach with the patter that actuall gives reason to put down a joker and why it reapears. It would go somthing like (not fully worked out mind you);

So 4 cannibals are getting ready to get their first meal when the youngest say "ow, my stomach is killing me!" And runs into the forest to drop a deuce (put first joker down). The other 3 decide to get their kill going on the spit, a bit later, the camper is gone and there is the younger cannibal is rubbing is stomach pleased, but soon he doesn't feel well "that camper didn't sit right with me, be right back!" And goes into the forest again...

So on until the end where you reveal (in my case the skull kings) stateing that the young cannibal didn't realize you shouldn't eat the bones, and all that was left was a nice steaming pile of them.

Like I said, not completely polished yet, but you can get an idea of how I'm trying to make it work, lol.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Interesting approach (if a bit scatological) I'm still in the opinion that the handling itself is the biggest problem to get over in this trick, either this guy was trying to make the trick easy enough for beginners, or he doesn't have a wide variety of slights to choose from himself. If the handling were more natural, and the actions well motivated this might be a nice trick. Once the handling is smoothed up and the more glaring discrepancies taken care of, the patter should come a lot easier and be less contrived. Though myself I've never been much for the canibal cards storyline, and have been getting away from allegorical patter (almost) completely.
As it is I'm not terribly motivated to try and fix this routine, but more power to you.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Yeah, I'm more of a packet/destructive trick guy (I'm not a worker, never been good at palming and switching things out). I agree, the escozio(correction of spelling?) Is a bit over used. He doesn't seem to be all to skillfull with most of the sleights he uses, but most tricks are for beginners. I like the fact (for the most part) he asks most available people if it's okay to do tutorials. I'll keep at it for now (till I find a job at least) and see if I can't come up with somthing workable, I'll consider this my first project of magic!
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
I might go for a storyline that the first cannibal runs after the king and simulate the cards chasing each other across the table (of course without showing the faces)and then catches him and waits for the others.
Though I myself like the cannibal storylines I don't much care for this trick. IMHO there are some with more convincing handling and better storylines Smile Though if you like the packet tricks this has some room to play around with the story:)
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Yeah, I saw one on youtube (cannibal kings) that was fantastic, it was an older video (70's or 80's). But with my demeanor I would have to restructure the patter a bit, and it's perfect the way it is. Once I dig through all the garbage and find the name, I'll let you know.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Yeah, I saw one on youtube (cannibal kings) that was fantastic, it was an older video (70's or 80's). But with my demeanor I would have to restructure the patter a bit, and it's perfect the way it is. Once I dig through all the garbage and find the name, I'll let you know.
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
I know that effect to. And learned it also maybe a year ago when that gentleman who teaches card effects still had tutorial on that effect. Love the story and the sleights.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Cannibal jokers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL