The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI POKER by Ben Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Steven,

I'm afraid I've missed your point, and don't see how what you've said renders the product description accurate. If there is something about what I've said that you disagree with, but feel uncomfortable addressing in a public forum, please PM me and we can discuss it there.

John
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Although I haven't seen this another good trick along the same lines is Take it or sleeve it by Tomas Blomberg and Jason England in the May 2006 issue of Magic Magazine
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
If you play Poker and/or you perform this for other Texas Hold'em players it is best to approach it as a casual demonstration (very casual) because for one, the dealing procedure is not something poker players are used to. You don't deal the two hole cards at a time to each player, but you would deal one to him, one to you, one to him, and finally one back to you. But as a casual thing, this is not an issue because you're not playing an "official" game, you're just demonstrating something interesting, at least that's how I approached it.

There are some other minor discrepancies, but as a casual demonstration it works, how do I know? I just performed this over lunch to a Texas Hold-em player as a casual demonstration (with a prediction kicker) and it worked just fine without the player questioning me about exact Texas Hold'em 100% proper dealing and handling procedures.

Fun stuff. Thanks, Ben.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Lumber.

Imagine I hand you a prediction and then place a deck of cards on the table. You cut the deck, and it is not touched again.

Then, I ask you to "think of any card." You do so.

I then ask you to read the prediction and it says... "Your card, the card you just "thought-of" is the top card of the deck, please turn it over..."

You do so, and I'm correct.

Is this not a successful prediction? Have I not successfully predicted your EXACT card?

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Ben,

We're talking apples and oranges. In the context of this effect and the description you have provided, anyone reading it would expect, when you say that the prediction will state the EXACT CARD the spectator needs to complete his straight, that your prediction will contain at least the value of that card. The fact that EXACT CARD appears in all caps, highlighting the apparently impossibility of this feat, would only reinforce that interpretation. In fact, however, you can only reveal its value in the version that requires introducing the prediction in the middle of the effect, which is inconsistent with the blurb. I stand by my conviction that the product description is deceptive and misleading.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I could actually use this post of silverking's to help me with insomnia,
Just start to read it and you will begin to nod off.

I can just see him doing magic for his wife, finger waggin away, face beet red from screaming, jowls flappin. "Don't you know how hard it is to do a pass?"

Have another sandwich silverking,
James

Quote:
On 2011-01-13 21:57, silverking wrote:
Descriptions of what actually happens can be difficult to make out in Ben's blurbs..........but presumably, in Ben's example as he used it in his last post......... the Queen/King is the high end of a completed straight with the King as the high card.
That hand would be beat by any hand that's higher than a straight, or by a high straight to the Ace (a higher straight than the straight to the King).

The unfilled gut-shot straight draw (the losing J-K hand) would presumably be something like 8-9-10-J-K (missing the queen......the "one point" apparently)............this hand is essentially "high-card", and would be beaten by any hand with an Ace in it (a higher card than the K in the unfilled gut-shot), or anybody who actually had a completed hand (like a pair of two's).

It's probably all irrelevant though, as the procedure Ben has come up with (in his own words) only "loosely infers" anything to do with poker.
Personally, I'd say it all has absolutely nothing to do with poker.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Bit late to the party James........but then aren't you always?

I double checked your post for any sort of contribution to the thread......but typically, there was none to be found.

Your personal interest in me is very sweet......but as I've told you many times before, you have nothing to offer, and are completely uninteresting to converse with.

Back to the Vent'n'Dummy forum where you belong.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
That was a bit harsh Silverking!
Try and be a bit more polite..

Have a nice day!
Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI POKER by Ben Harris (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL