The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Travel Fees (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've often wondered about how other people handle travel fees to a show.

Travel fees, to me, don't just cover the time it takes me to get there. They cover the time where I could be doing another show, particulary when the demand is really high. Since I do trade shows, kids events and convention work, I'll often spend time in transit.

I am in Canada -- so weather can also play a big role in what I take since it can get awfully freaking cold in winter...closed highways, grounded flights etc.

Me first? Fair enough. When I am booking a way-out-of-town event, I will quote the client/meeting planner a flat rate for the WHOLE thing: a value I have set upon my time in airports or in the car etc as well as the show. I try to keep these fees low...but reasonable. The only issues that remain are who's paying for the hotel and/or flight and/or milage on my car.

Do you folks plan on providing your own meals? Do you get the client to do so...or pay a per diem...or...? (I just budget for mine in my flat fee, since most of my clients despise complications...and so do I.)

I wrestle with this stuff all the time and would be very interested to hear how other people handle travel fees.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
David, I rarely need to travel more than an hour and a half from my home, so it is really just a case of adding twenty euro for petrol. The one regular gig I do that involves flights, the client pays for the flights, accommodation and food. I pay for whiskey and paperbacks. This year the client asked me to book my own flights, then reimbursed me, because it worked out cheaper that way. As I have dealt with them for years I was happy to do this.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I don't ask for meals, although if you must as you say it's best just to budget it into your Flat Fee. I too prefer the Flat Fee structure of pricing as I also allow for it to include rental car and gas. The clients seem to prefer this type of pricing rather than having to get approval and expense things in addition to the performance fee. Often times the client may offer a meal or meals that you can always take advantage of, but I personally say no as they often forgo a tip since they fee they provided you a meal or meals. Personally I'd rather have the $300.00-$500.00 tip than a $50.00 meal or two.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I cover an area of 250 miles, one way, from my home for schools & libraries. About 150 miles for preschools & senior facilities.

I use my own van, provide my own meals, and have it all included in a single-quoted fee. It's higher for more distant places of course but I give them one fee, all inclusive.

These venues are not likely to tip Smile but one library did, 3 times Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Most shows I drive to so I just consider that when establishing rates.

For some overnight shows, I require the buyer to provide a room.

If flying, I NEVER purchase the flight; the buyer MUST do it. It's a deal-killer for me. Years ago I booked a flight and had the buyer cancel. No more.

All other expenses are mine.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
There you've got it David and from those of us who travel regularly for our business. Keep it simple for the client, quote wherever possible an all in price, no extras. Doesn't mean you can't break it down for them when something big is involved such as flights or ferry costs.

I find nothing irritates me more than to be given a price for something and then have it loaded with extras. What I am about to tell you is extreme but it actually happened three years ago and elements of it happen regularly. I am away at least 35 weeks a year so use a lot of bed & breakfast accommodation. I tend to prefer farms and country houses where the facilities are excellent, they are off the main roads and I can park my show out of sight. I check on the internet, I can see what they appear to be offering, the quoted price and I call with my date. They can take me. Then starts the fun and games.

"So that's £30 for the night? With breakfast and VAT?" "Yes" That's good value and below the usual UK average. You will gather I have been jumped before by extras for breakfast and then tax added on top.

"Single room en suite." "Ah! You want en suite?"

"Yes - as it says on your website." "Oh no. That's the price for sharing. En suite is extra. £5 supplement, per night."

"That's fine. Friday the 12th" "Ahh! Just the one night then. That's extra. £5 supplement"

"Yes - I did say just the one night." "Friday is it - well now, that's weekend rate. That's extra. £5 per night supplement"

If you're keeping check, we're up to £45 and running.

"OK - Book me in." "Ahhhhhhhhh! I just seen. It's the Bank Holiday weekend - that's extra. £5 supplement."

And finally, although their website clearly says 'extensive parking on site' something now makes me hesitate. I check the parking. It appears their 'free' parking is actually down in the town on an open free public car park. I am not leaving my vehicle and show exposed anywhere.

"But your website clearly states 'extensive parking on site'."

Of course they do have parking on site - it's a farm after all. But - all together now :-

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's extra. £5 supplement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Honestly, it's true. A B&B near Abergavenny in Wales. Needless to say at £60 per night I didn't stay. You'd be surprised how many businesses describe one price and then start adding extras. It doesn't endear you.

Most of my work is commercial and many acts until the last few years required staged payments for their shows. A 25% deposit on booking, an interim payment of 25% twelve weeks before the event, a further 25% six weeks prior and the final 25% two weeks prior. The two weeks prior was to ensure the then sluggish banking system cleared the cheque before the show. Our banking system has speeded up over the last three years.

Currently work is short over here and those of us who make life easy for the event organisers are the ones who are busiest.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Wow, Tony...that's some story!

Made me laugh out loud and think of Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch for some reason.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hi Tony (and everyone else) Happy 2011!

Well, we just travel a 20 mile radius from our Cheshire (England) home, and a 15 mile radius from our Abergele (Wales) Holiday home. The two locations are just 68 miles apart incidentally.

So I tend to quote all inclusive. I know it's not fair, but the folks on my doorstep make up for the folks 20 miles away. But petrol (gas) is now 6 GB Pounds a gallon ($9.34 US dollars). We use a large Nissan Estate Car not only for the amount of space in it but because we are surrounded by airbags and crumple zones. It does just under 30 m.p.g. So figure it out.

But you know, 30 years ago we used a large Ford Estate car. I worked out then it cost us average 2.50 GB Pounds a party in gas/petrol. We charged 30 GB Pounds a Party then. Percentage wise travel is still about the same cost now today, if not a shade cheaper! Smile

The hotel in Abergavenny by the way Tony, is charging the same as a Premier Lodge etc. These "lodges" in the UK are constantly advertising "special deals from 29 Pounds". I have yet to find out how to access one of these "deals"!! Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
$9.34 a gallon!!!!! OMG!!!!!! If gas ever got that high here, the President would get run out of town on a rail!! He'd have to run for King of England. Today it's $3.05-$3.09 and people are up in arms.

So, what exactly is British Petroleum DOING with all that oil that they polluted our gulf getting? LOL!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 19:08, Starrpower wrote:
$9.34 a gallon!!!!! OMG!!!!!! If gas ever got that high here, the President would get run out of town on a rail!! He'd have to run for King of England. Today it's $3.05-$3.09 and people are up in arms.

So, what exactly is British Petroleum DOING with all that oil that they polluted our gulf getting? LOL!

You may well ask Starr. It's not as though the front line troops in Afghanistan are getting it either. As usual the British Army is operating the "thin red line". Train fares have also risen way beyond inflation. It's as though there is a deliberate attempt to suffocate people's lifestyles. Ok, I could go out and buy a Toyota Prius today and just about fit all our stuff in it. A Nissan Leaf would not be big enough however. But buying a battery or hybrid car would be an expensive solution as we don't actually cover huge mileages. LPG conversions (liquid petroleum gas) the same. Costs about £1500 to convert and simply not worth it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I also quote a single fee that covers everything I want to cover (gas, meals, accomodations, ferry, extra time, etc.)

I used to ask some out of town customers to arrange accomodations, but for the past few years I've just taken care of that myself and included it in the fee.

A few people mentioned about getting tips (or, getting meals vs. tips... a phenomenon I've never encountered). I have only rec'd tips for birthday shows / private customer shows. I've never rec'd a tip from a festival, library, school, church, company (Christmas parties, picnics), etc. They pay you with a cheque for the exact amount you billed on your contract & invoice.

Sometimes a customer (of any sort) will offer food if it's at their event, but I don't expect it. I'm fully prepared to cover that myself.

- Donald

P.S. If I have to travel a long distance / have some travel expenses, then I will ask for a deposit to cover those costs. The balance is due at the show.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Tips?

I've only seen them at private functions too: birthday parties fairly often and private venues.

Corporate clients tend to "tip" with meal offers or liquor. I don't think it occurs to them to tip performers. And why should it? Do you tip your doctor?

David

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
And of course keep track of your expenses. Will be time to file pretty soon. Itemized form is said to be available for 2010 mid February.

Harris
blessed with two jobs I love..counseling gig and the entertainment side.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I seem to get tips at about 65-70% of my corporate bookings. I have a way of leading them to this, however to them they're thinking that they thought of this on their own.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I get all of the important information before giving a quote. The shows that require hours of travel are usually in under-served areas, where they expect to pay travel costs. Sometimes the show portion is much smaller than the travel fees, but I don't usually break down the costs - I just quote for the different show options. I use map sites to get the mileage and figure the driving cost. I also look up motel rates in the area, if there's overnight travel, and I use that to help calculate a per diem.

If it looks like I'll be passing up a great deal of business, I may figure in opportunity cost. The travel gigs tend to pay really well, so that I don't have to charge that.
Simon Mandal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Simon Mandal
Some good points here.

For family shows I rarely travel more than 45 minutes from my home on the weekend.

I will travel a bit more for a corporate job / festival / etc., if the higher price will MORE than cover the short term opportunity cost.

All things being equal, doing a job that is far away means less shows on the day of the event, less spin off jobs in the future,
AND lower quality SPIN OFF JOBS that are also very far away. (the same situation you are in.)

Spreading ourselves to thin means more time commuting and less time making people happy & earning money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Travel Fees (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL