The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini's car (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Here's one I think everyone will like. We've seen pics of Houdini in a car he bought in England in the early 1900s, but as far as I know, no one has ever identified the make. Well, according in the London Daily Mirror, it was a Humber.

Also, did Houdini have a car wreck in Oakland in 1912?

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/01/......ber.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I left a response on your site.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Yep, I saw. Thank you, David. Your expertise is appreciated. Smile
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
John Tarring of The Humber Register has helped me identify exactly what type of Humber Houdini owned. Even have a page from the 1904 Humber catalog.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/01/......ber.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
In the book Houdini!!! By Kenneth Silverman, he said that the Handcuff King asked for his release from Martin Beck in 1901, but remained friends with him. I always wondered about that when I read it because I remembered this photo of him in 1904. It seemed like their relationship was strained, but it seemed they were still business partners if Beck was with him in Europe.

What’s your take on it.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
I'm pretty sure Houdini and Beck remained friendly. Yeah, Beck wasn't Houdini's personal manager after '01, but Houdini continued as a headliner on Beck's Vaudeville circuit. I think both men had the showbiz savvy to know it was in their interests to keep a good relationship. Certainly Beck would have known it. Notice he's letting Houdini drive. But at least he's in the car. Smile

Hey, you know, that's probably why this photo is always mis-dated 1900. Because Beck is in it. But there is now no question this is 1904.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Everything indicates that Beck and Houdini remained friends. Beck ran the Palace during the years Houdini played there. Beck was one of Houdini's honorary pallbearers.
During his career, Houdini was represented by Martin Beck, B. F. Keith, and William Morris (the actual guy) among others and yet he had the reputation of making all his own deals.
Hardeen said Martin Beck was the man who changed Houdini's life.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Houdini was represented by THE William Morris? That's cool. I never knew that.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini's car (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL