The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inspiration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
I haven’t heard much talk about what inspires all of you as mentalists and I am very interested in that subject. In fact, I am more interested in what inspires artists than I am with methods for effects. I think if magic or mentalism is to be an art we should grow in our understanding of what inspires us as well as other artists. I know this is not the norm for what finds itself in conversations at conventions, magic clubs or the Magic Castle. However, I think it is a topic worth meditating on. What is it about you as an artist that draws you to performing mentalism? What is it that inspires in you a new concept for a show or effect? Or perhaps, where do you seek out inspiration?

I am sure there are a great many of you who will inspire us with your comments on this subject.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Hi there Brandon!

Early as it is this lovely morning, I will take my time out to answer that question as well as I can.

I often find inspiration from psychics ('real' ones), they usually have some very good ideas. I also draw inspiration from different tests that parapsychologists/'scientists' come up with and make a entertaining routine from it.
You can even find inspiration in different games that kids are playing, just add a blindfold or whatever Smile
I love spending time in the lovely parks of London, nothing really inspires me there, but it's beautiful and I can draw inspiration from within. There's no point in forcing anything, inspiration comes when it comes.

//Daniel Young
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
I would have to agree with Daniel.
Inspiration can come from any where, I’ve mad a nice effect just from the title of a book. Or from a friend or myself saying "Wouldn’t it be cool if........."
Start with what you what an effect to look like, from a spec's point of view, then much later worry about method's.
The Man Who Knows (how to make a good cup of Tea)

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
Vision and alexander,

I thank you for your comments. I get my inspiration from movies, plays, performance art, music, and art. I have a strong academic background in analytic philosophy, so I gain much inspiration there. Lately I find Kierkergard exceptionally rousing. I try to search inside myself for understanding and conflicts. I tend to create with many existential concerns in mind. I care a great deal about connecting to the inner experience of my audience. Rather, than fitting myself into the prosaic mold of magic or mentalism (which I am not saying is wrong headed) I have no doubt we can truly affront current presuppositions and noetic structures in a very eloquent fashion. Reflection always brings me back to the human condition. This seems to be very distant from where other performers are searching. However, it is very honest to who I am. This is just my humble representation.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Visions, Alexander and Noumena.
This thread looks like it could be one of the really interesting ones. But is it possible to give a concrete example of how this works for you? Perhaps a result of
your thinking or creative processes?
I use NLP questions myself. I.e
What do I want to do?

Amaze people

Will this really amaze them?
Or will they just think 'So what?'
What will they say afterwards to each other?
What state do I want them in?

A state of amazement

How can I lead them there?
How can I keep them in that state?
Etc, Etc Smile
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Brandon, I understand what you mean. Searching deep inside yourself for what you what to communicate in performance can be a very good way of being inspired and finding your presentational angel, among other things.

teejay, I to find NLP a great help in mentalism, people have really misunderstood its use to a mentalist. Not only could its ideas etc. be used for a presentation, the most commonly recognized way of using it. But it also helps with discovering yourself and there for your "Persona", that's almost what some of the therapy type stuff was made for, finding your self and/or what you want to be.

I often turn to NLP's Presupposition's in a kind of Biblical, night time telly kind of way.
I will post them here for you now:
The Presuppositions of NLPâ„¢
The ability to change the process by which we experience reality is more often valuable than changing the content of our experience of reality.

The meaning of the communication is the response you get.

All distinctions human beings are able to make concerning our environment and our behavior can be usefully represented through the visual, auditory, kinesthetic, olfactory, and gustatory senses.

The resources an individual needs in order to effect a change are already within them.

The map is not the territory.

The positive worth of the individual is held constant, while the value and appropriateness of internal and/or external behavior is questioned.

There is a positive intention motivating every behavior, and a context in which every behavior has value.

Feedback vs. Failure - All results and behaviors are achievements, whether they are desired outcomes for a given task/context, or not.

You can read in to them what you will.

Alex.
The Man Who Knows (how to make a good cup of Tea)

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inspiration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL