The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wifi hotspot help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
OK, so I just moved into a place that doesn't offer wifi. Any experience with which wifi stick to buy for my laptop would be greatly appreciated....
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Don't go with Cricket if you want to watch videos on your laptop you will become very frustrated with all the buffering it will do on just about any vid you try to watch. If you want to just go to sites such as T.M.C. it's fine if that and checking your e mail is all you want to do. Otherwise don't even think of Cricket. They maybe one of the cheaper options. The cheapness shows with them.

Verizon has a pre paid internet option if you don't want to have a contract with a company. I don't know how Verizon's web service is. I would assume that it is usable and works well. Like I said however don't go with cricket. It's dial up and sometimes you may not get a good enough signal from them to even connect with. If you get a signal at all some days from them.

Another temporary option is go hang out at the air port yes the Int one. I don't know about the smaller Airport to the North. If you are still in the area I think you are. They have free wifi. I did that a couple of times before I went and bought internet service. You can sit anywhere in the airport and use the net on your laptop there.

Other Wifi hot spot options available till you get service of your own would be Borders book stores, I think Barns and Noble have free wifi as well.

I hope that helps anyway.
RiotStrike
View Profile
New user
I've cemented
39 Posts

Profile of RiotStrike
If you need wifi for your home, buy internet service from a company who offers it aka cable or dsl, then buy a wireless router. that'll give you a wifi hotspot for your entire home.
get the card mentioned above if you need it on the go constantly like in the car or at events.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I would agree with the DSL but if you only have a laptop why pay for two modes of internet service? I went with Clear due to the fact that I really wasn't watching my t.v. any longer since I had bought my laptop. Plus there just really isn't anything that's worth watching on t.v. anymore be it from local network affiliate stations or what is on cable. It's just not worth watching. Haven't had My t.v. on for almost three years now.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The Verizon thing is $40 a month for pretty much unlimited service. I use it for on the road, tho more and more motels are offering WIFI for free. I
'm happy with it, but haven't watched films on it yet.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I have the same as Tom and am happy but just got an email last week that is you use over 5GB a month your speed will be drastically reduced. Basically if you use it for surfing and email you will be good. If you are a gamer, watch a lot of videos or download a lot of stuff after the first 5GB your speed will be reduced.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I think the only one that doesn't manage "Throttle" users is Sprint or A.T.T. everyone else does even if they say unlimited they really aren't. There was an article the other day in the news paper about either Sprint or A.T.T. being the only ones that have unlimited mobile web still.

I haven't run into that problem too much with Clear as of yet. I have them for a year and a half. I know many people do complain about them throttling but I've been wondering if those that are complaining do it just to complain.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Thanks guys. I just moved from a hotel to a residence and I'm my own now when it comes to having an internet connection. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile, who I've got my cell phone with, and they seem to have an OK stick at an OK price. But they do throttle after 5GB. But they did say that the stick defaults to any wifi signal before looking for the direct satellite connection. So I guess that saves on bandwidth at times.

Anyone have experience with T-Mobile?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wifi hotspot help needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL