The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » RRTCM question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Does/did anybody else have trouble following the book at times ? I know that everybody says this is the book to get, but it really discourages and depresses me that I sometimes have trouble following it. I mean I do read a lot, I'm a very literate person and have good reading comprehension . I think my problem stems from the almost archaic language, what I consider the lack of illustration and the fact that I have to convert everything into left-handed application.

I'm not trying to make excuses for why I am having trouble learning from this book. I was just wondering if anybody else is having or had a tough of time with it as I am or if... well I don't want to consider if.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, theories, insights or anything else regarding my current plight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
When I first started reading RRTCM (you are talking about Royal Road to Card Magic, right?), I had the same difficulty. I found the musty language put me off, and I gave up on the book. Then a well-respected magician made a post on Magic Talk about the virtues of RRTCM, and I took up the book again.

I started at the beginning, and I did what you are not supposed to do: I read it through without practicing the sleights or effects. This allowed me to get through the book without it taking forever. I wanted to see what was in there without waiting months to work through it. I made a note of all the effects that appealed to me. It turns out that there are a quite a few. One of which inspired me to create my own effect that I am polishing.

Now I am going through the book a second time and underlining key passages and making additional notes.

The third time I will work on all the effects (many of the sleights I already know) and try to perform at least one from each chapter.

So as of right now, RRTCM is a work in progress for me, but I think it will be helpful.

My advice is to try to stick with it. And if you can't, you might try Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book (HL's best written book IMO) or if you are more advanced, Card College.

--Rick
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
RRTCM does not really lend itself to reading straight through.

Opie Houston, A magician from Austin, Texas posted a guide to RRTCM on another forum. It takes you through the essential parts of RRTCM. After finishing the study guide then you can look into the other chapters. It is really good. Try it.

http://forums.about.com/ab-magic/messages?msg=3226.001
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
magicfan456
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicfan456
Hi,
I also started out with this book about 7 months ago. Yes it can be very discouraging at times (I am barely half-way through it!), but once i tried out design for laughter on a live audience I was sold. If you have trouble figuring out the descriptions (which can be confusing) try Daryl's encyclopedia of card sleights which will give you an idea of what the moves should look like. There are also magic sites that could help like rapidmagic.com, e-magictrick.com and ultimatemagic.com. Hope that helps and good luck! Smile
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
The writing style is stilted and a bit dry. Card College by Giobbi is a modern update, includes everything in RRTCM and a lot more. It is also written in a clear easy to understand style.

RRTCM is a classic however, and after you master some basic sleights and pick the book up again in the future(if you set RRTCM down) it will all become very clear to you.

The ebook version can be easily converted to read as if it was written for someone who is lefthanded. I am also left handed but it's kinda strange, I do some things like a righty and others like a lefty. Go figure.
Drive Carefully
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
It just got here and I am on the 3rd chapter after 2 weeks and I think it is kind of hard.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Go get the study guide mentioned in my post above

The suggested order is this (Chapters)

1, 2, 15, 16, 3, 17, 9, 10, 11

Read and master those chapters in that order and you are well on your way.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Guys,

Stick with it!!! I know it may seem very difficult at first. I felt the exact same way when I was starting out. But the more you keep at it, the easier it becomes. The language is very proper and can be dull, but once you get used to it, you will have a much easier time with the material. One thing that is really great about RRTCM is that no matter how many times you go back to re-read it, you will pick up something new. A point you may have missed the first, second or even third time around. Its like a light bulb going off in your head, it will just click! I hope that made sense, because its hard to explain, but when it does, you will know what I'm talking about. Anyhow, please remember you aren't alone in your studies. If you are having trouble with one aspect of the book, post your question here. there are many people who would love to help you out. I hope this helps a bit... Take care and don't give up!!!!

Attilio
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Royal Road to Card Magic can be very dry reading, as can the follow-up volume Expert Card Technique. However, reading it and learning the material will do you good. After all, it never hurts to be able to read "proper" English.

And a little work makes the goal much sweeter when it is finally attained.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » RRTCM question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL